Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Hello Nekochan...new SGI owner here - Page 4

josehill wrote: By 2015 standards, sure, but by the standards of its time, IRIX was an outstanding server OS.

If he's got a time machine, I got first dibs :D

Otherwise, we now live in 2015, old man :P
calvin wrote: nor is it optimized for server workloads and applications.

could you be a bit more specific?
how are server workloads and sever applications defined? and is that not completely dependent on each case?
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:

how are server workloads and sever applications defined? and is that not completely dependent on each case?

You do not want me to go dig out an email I once got from the guy running Hubble's storage on SGI :P He had plenty of very negative things to say about both the product and the people.

My own experience with both a Fuel and an O350 has been quite negative as well. The desktop and the applications are great, but I wouldn't depend on an SGI to watch the paint dry.

They went broke for a reason :( It's easy to get caught up in liking them because at one time they were good, but that time was looong ago. And short.

It's still way better than Loonix tho :P
hamei wrote:
foetz wrote:

You do not want me to go dig out an email I once got from the guy running Hubble's storage on SGI :P He had plenty of very negative things to say about both the product and the people.

My own experience with both a Fuel and an O350 has been quite negative as well. The desktop and the applications are great, but I wouldn't depend on an SGI to watch the paint dry.

They went broke for a reason :( It's easy to get caught up in liking them because at one time they were good, but that time was looong ago. And short.

It's still way better than Loonix tho :P

Lol Loonix.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
r-a-c.de
Actually tho, I think calvin is mistaken. If anything, Irix is far too server-oriented. It's only a good desktop in comparison to the other awful desktops out there.

Unix does not pre-empt threads out of the kernel, Unix is far too interested in saving cpu cycles over maintaining responsiveness, the entire user-group-other thing is total bullshit for a desktop, Unix in general makes a poor desktop. And Irix is Unix. They just did a nice job with 4Dwm. And the applications are good.

Shows you how pitiful personal computing has become, kinda :(
But are we not being a bit two faced on the fact, we like to use this retro equipment for what it was at the time and lets face it, yes in this day and age there are possibly better, faster ways on other hardware, but we like SGI (some of it) and that's why we make the best of what it is.

So comparing SGI server abilities to modern solutions is rather unfair on SGI.

And at the time, I bet we could produce a million people who companied about IRIX, AIX, HPUX etc, but I bet we could find the same number to complain about modern day servers also.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: But are we not being a bit two faced on the fact, we like to use this retro equipment for what it was at the time and lets face it, yes in this day and age there are possibly better, faster ways on other hardware, but we like SGI (some of it) and that's why we make the best of what it is.

So comparing SGI server abilities to modern solutions is rather unfair on SGI.

And at the time, I bet we could produce a million people who companied about IRIX, AIX, HPUX etc, but I bet we could find the same number to complain about modern day servers also.

I must concur. Comparing it to modern day solutions is somewhat unfair. But in retrospect, if it serves well as a small file server, than I'm happy!

I still haven't had a chance to play with my Octane. :( I have some legal matters to clear up first that I was unaware of. So, sadly, this project is on hold for a short period of time.
Hello Nekonians!

Its been a few months since I posted last. I thought I would give an update.

Ive decided to use my Octane as a home RAID1 NAS. In doing so, I will be converting it to PC to be able to deal with modern network bandwidth.

I have already pulled all parts and boards out of my Octane in order to identify everything for specifications. I will be selling everything from the internals. However, since I have no way to test function, Im not positive everything works. I was told by previous owner that it was in working order.

I wish I had the time and money to test full functionality, but with a new baby, both time and money are short for such endeavors.

If any of you may have interest in the parts, please private message me. I want to give Nekonians first choice before placing parts on ebay. Give me a week to reply, as I need to ID all parts the best of my abilities.

Aaron