Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

IRIX 6.5.x installation problems - Page 2

oh, well.. i'll keep looking for a proper CD.
:Octane2: :320:
Hi

I'm trying to install 6.5.22 from scratch on my trusty old Indigo (it has been running 5.3). And I'm following Ian's guide: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

I'm using the following CDs that I read in before typing "go"

IRIX 6.5.22 Overlays [1 of 3] November 2003 <-- I'm booting the install from this one
IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1
IRIX 6.5 Foundation 2
IRIX 6.5 Applications November 2003
IRIX 6.5.22 Overlays [2 of 3] November 2003
IRIX 6.5.22 Overlays [3 of 3] November 2003

I get conflicts with inventor_dev.sw.base, it requires some development library. And I get a conflict with java plugin for mozilla.

Not sure what the best way to resolve the conflicts are or which CDs I need for the requirements of those packages.

What am I doing "wrong"?

If it helps. I chose to install a feature stream.

I'm now trying to follow this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsfDH3yM6nw

which suggest:

keep java2_plugin.sw32.mozilla_freeware
keep inventor_dev.sw.base
keep inventor_dev.sw.lib

But have a sneaking suspicion that I'm just ducking for future problems.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
I think I tend to not install them at the time.

Conflicts 1a to all of em..

Certainly the java ones.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
r-a-c.de
Thank you. I gave up last night. For some reason, fx decided 50MB was enough for /root :) Easy to fix but I went to bed instead.

From what I've read here and in other sources, "conflicts 1a 2a" is the way to go and fix any issues later.

One question remains though, which Applications CD(s) to use?

Most seem to suggest that you use the "Applications CD" that matches the version you install, in my case "November 2003". But the demos are on the original "June 1998". Can I read in both? And should I read in "Supplementary Applications" ?
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
Pontus wrote: But the demos are on the original "June 1998". Can I read in both? And should I read in "Supplementary Applications" ?

that's something you can try later, once it's installed. in most cases it's a good idea to do a rather minimal installation and take care of everything else later from within irix using swmgr
r-a-c.de
Supplementary Applications can create a system that you don't expect - it removes Impressario and installs a demo version of ESP PrintPro (which was the $$ version of CUPS). There's also CDE on there, and an older version of OpenOffice 1.x (probably the most useful part).

My advice - ignore unless you know you want it.

I'd install with the overlay version of apps, then add what you know you want from the 1998 disk (demos). Don't do a blanket install, b/c you can get a whole bunch of outdated servers.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)