Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

A new French member

Hello everyone !

(Sorry my english is very basic).

After 3 years, I finally decided to create an account on Nekochan !

I'm becoming a SGI fan over the years, principaly because I am a big fan of the Nintendo64/64DD (history, dev stuff, etc). I especially love the history of digital special effects in the 80's and 90's, the hardware and the software, so it was inevitable to fall into the pot one day or another. What a pleasure to find some old gears (4D, Indigo etc) into a making off....

Like many member, my collection has grown step by step over the years. Thanks to the web and the SGI community. I think I have a lot of questions in the future, although this forum is an incredible source of information about SGI history, hardware and so on.

Finally, to make short, a photo of my setup (forget the Imac...). I'll post all the hinv later in the dedicated section.

I hope it's the good section on the forum for this topic.

Regards

:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
Nice little office you have going there :D .

Hello and Welcome :) .
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Hello arhiman57 - welcome to nekochan.

That's a pretty nice collection you've got there.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Nice clean setup! It's like that desk was built for an Octane. :)

Welcome to the boards!
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
Welcome!
You have got a nice desk!
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Thanks !

The big disadvantage of this current config is to switch every station to the 1600sw (13w3/vga + vga/dvi for octane, or direct dvi for fuel etc) plus the keyboard and mouse every time you want to use a station. The 1600sw is functionnal with the 4D/25 for example (what a special config...), but with 2 adapter, the quality is far from my old CRT. But I don't want to install the old CRT every time....

The solution is to bought a classic 19" 4/3 LCD with vga and dvi to put the Octane and Fuel (4D or Indy if course) at the same time plus the O2 directly to the 1600sw and a KVM for the Keyboard and mouse. Later this year I think...

Yes, this desk was designed for the Octane, what a chance.

Just one things, my youtube video to show my 4D in action. It's very difficult to found some good video about 4D on the web, so I decided to make one. The text is in French.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbyV085Yu3g
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
arhiman57 wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbyV085Yu3g

Thanks for the video. Nice!
Nice collection, looks very clean. One suggestion is to toss that keyboard in the trash...they are abysmal.
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
Wellcome!!!
Yes, very nice setup. One question: What interface are you using to connect the Octane to de 1600SW? (To strip the Sync signal of the green)

Thank you.
D-EJ915 wrote: Nice collection, looks very clean. One suggestion is to toss that keyboard in the trash...they are abysmal.

Each to their own... :D I loved mine...

Oh and well done on that collection, I'm very jealous!

So which system do you use most often?

Jacques
No SGI box currently...Snif!
I'm on a Personal IRIS kick these days - nice specimen there :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Titox wrote: Wellcome!!!
Yes, very nice setup. One question: What interface are you using to connect the Octane to de 1600SW? (To strip the Sync signal of the green)

Thank you.

While the MLA is not able to sync on green IIRC it is tolerant of the signal. I never had the proper cable to check this out while I had one.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
Titox wrote: Wellcome!!!

Thank you.

I use a 13w3 / VGA cable plus a classic VGA/VGI adapter. You have a switch behind the MLA to pass it in analog mode. It work with the Octane, Indigo2, Indy and Personal Iris at 1280*1024@60hz (1024*768@60hz for the 4D, it's the maximum by the VGA output).

The quality is not awfull, but "far" from the Fuel directly connected in DVI to the MLA or the O2 with the FPA. I think the best solution for the Octane with the MLA is to have a 13w3/DVI cable, but I don't have one to test if it work. It was a shame that the MLA did not have a VGA input in addition to the DVI.
JacquesT wrote: Each to their own... :D I loved mine...

Oh and well done on that collection, I'm very jealous!

So which system do you use most often?

Jacques

I'm using principaly the O2 for the moment (R12k/400Mhz,512Mb), because the station have the FPA for the 1600sw (very clean image). For the keyboard, yes it's not the best, but you can see under the desk a 4D keyboard and an Indigo2 style keyboard.
On these photo, the Indy and 4D/25 on the 1600sw. On the first, the MLA with 13w3/VGA cable plus at the end the VGA/DVI adapter.

On the 4D, a VGA cable plus the DVI adapter (I don't know if you have the < GR1.2 without VGA output, If you can use the BNC/VGA cable plus the VGA/DVI adapter for having 1280*1024).

And last year when the Octane was coming (Thanks Ian). The desk was not in order this day...

^now that's more like it haha, love the mess and granite keyboard
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy: