Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Make a irix install cd from overlays - Page 1

I have a full 6.5.10 cd set and a 6.5.30 overlay files.
Is there a way to create a full 6.5.30 cd set?
:Indigo: r4400-150 Entry
:Octane2: r12k-400 V6
:Octane: r10k-250 ESI
:Indigo2IMP: r4400-200 Extreme
:Indy: r5k-180 XZ
ginopilotino wrote: I have a full 6.5.10 cd set and a 6.5.30 overlay files. Is there a way to create a full 6.5.30 cd set?

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/ ... EFS_Images
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Thanks!
But the last row is a little worrying: "Worked for 6.5.22 but did not work with variables changed for 6.5.28 as of 1st April 2009. Your Milage May Vary."
ginopilotino wrote: Thanks!
But the last row is a little worrying: "Worked for 6.5.22 but did not work with variables changed for 6.5.28 as of 1st April 2009. Your Milage May Vary."

I'm pretty sure I used the scripts to make a .30 overlay with few problems.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
ginopilotino wrote: I'm pretty sure I used the scripts to make a .30 overlay with few problems.

Stupid question, and I'm pretty sure the "I have to scp these into my linux desktop to do this, your setup might be different." is the answer, but I assume that the .image files created by the script can be burned on any platform?

I could use a set of .22 overlays.... :)
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
This package works for me, straight from SGI's ftp site: ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/cdburners/CDmastering.tar.Z

(use make_efs)
:A350R: :Onyx2: :4D220VGX: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane2: :O2: :O3x0: :Indy:
zuluchas wrote: This package works for me, straight from SGI's ftp site: ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/cdburners/CDmastering.tar.Z

(use make_efs)

That's the package mentioned in the thread that spawned the wiki - though at the time it was hosted on the now defunct toolbox.sgi.com
recondas wrote:
zuluchas wrote: This package works for me, straight from SGI's ftp site: ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/cdburners/CDmastering.tar.Z

(use make_efs)

That's the package mentioned in the thread that spawned the wiki - though at the time it was hosted on the now defunct toolbox.sgi.com

True, and it looks to be more complete of a EFS-cd-image-producing package than the one mentioned in the wiki.

I updated the wiki to reflect the two options.
:A350R: :Onyx2: :4D220VGX: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane2: :O2: :O3x0: :Indy:
zuluchas wrote: I updated the wiki to reflect the two options.
Thanks!
I used the method in the thread to make both 6.5.30 and 6.5.22 images a couple years back myself.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

This worked for me about three days before for 6.5.22m. sash loads/ runs and also fx load/ runs so I'v formated hdd and than after "copying instalation files???" stage it prints that installation cannot find coresponding kernel :(

But I was not using fresh 6.5.22m archives from sgi - but before time when I had downloaded I'v burned them also, so maybe some directories don't get to cds...
:O2: R7000/600 576MB Ram CDRW 18+9Gb HDD
http://www.tomosgi.co.cc
bigD wrote:
SAQ wrote:
ginopilotino wrote: I'm pretty sure I used the scripts to make a .30 overlay with few problems.

Stupid question, and I'm pretty sure the "I have to scp these into my linux desktop to do this, your setup might be different." is the answer, but I assume that the .image files created by the script can be burned on any platform?

You need to have a platform that allows you to write arbitrary format CDs. Most do, including the CDRtools-based UNIX programs. In fact, the only ones I've had problems with are the Adaptec programs (EZ-CD Creator and Toast), which "help" you out by checking for a valid ISO9660/Joilet/UDF/HFS filesystem on the image before burning.

As to getting the images to the machine, I'll leave that as an exercise for you. Scp works, as does NFS, FTP, portable hard drives (official or contrived) or any number of other methods. ;)

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
^^^ thank you! I gave this entire process a try today. It appears that even Disk Utility on OS X will burn the resulting images just fine. I did have some trouble with the install on my Indigo2, but I'm not convinced the burn is the problem - I can boot sash, fx the disk, and it gets all the way to the end to the 'copying installation tools' step, but then fails with a block error. The first image of the Overlay set is 721MB - I wonder if the problem is that I'm trying to stuff this onto a 700MB disk. I tried the burn twice, and the verify is okay. I guess the image itself could be bad too.

I'll have to try it all over again tonight.
If your ISO is 721MB, you're doing something wrong. The Image should be about the same size as the installation files. For 6.5.30 CD1, that should be around 420-430MB. If you're using an "original" Indigo2 CD-Rom (i.e. a 3401 or similar vintage Toshibas), it may be picky about the blanks. Try proper branded blanks (Taiyo Yuden, JVC...), and burn them at 4x or slower.
^^^ well, the Disk 1 .tar file from the Supportfolio download is 626.4MB, so I figured there might be some .iso overhead or something on it. Should it be the same size? I'm going to redownload everything and go through the complete process again, just in case I made a mistake somewhere. Fortunately I'm using a newer external CD-ROM drive on my Indigo2, but I'll slow down the burns next time too, just in case.
What about patch 5086?
ginopilotino wrote: What about patch 5086?

The miniroot is taken from the downloaded overlays, so it already includes the updated inst. If you're doing a live upgrade (not booting from the miniroot) you'll need to install the patch.

It might be a good idea to put the patch on the CD. The scripts take the files from a certain directory tree structure, so it wouldn't be that hard to have it on one of the Overlay CDs.

canavan wrote: If your ISO is 721MB, you're doing something wrong.

I discovered part of the problem here. Apparently with Snow Leopard, Apple decided to forgo a half century of computer convention and have its OS start telling users that 721,129,472 bytes is 721.1MB. :roll:
I only have the unpacked tar around, and it's only 419735k for the entire CD1. Has it really grown on sgi's servers while I wasn't looking?
The tar file for the first Overlay CD as downloaded from SGI is 626,411,520 bytes, or (getting out my calculator because Apple gave my MacBook Pro a lobotomy), 611,730 KB. I have no idea where the fat came from!