Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Octane Vpro card

Well got my octane 2 and other crazy video card as show me up nice Vpro 6 wont work I try everything once again. So it dead from what I know, so anyone got Vpro want to sell?

Fox
The Paw Is the Way To Go

Foxler of FoxRunner PC
starfoxacefox wrote: Well got my octane 2 and other crazy video card as show me up nice Vpro 6 wont work I try everything once again.

I really feel obligated to ask - is English a secondary language for you? I noticed that you list the USA as your location, but I'm wondering if you were born elsewhere.
MooglyGuy wrote:
starfoxacefox wrote: Well got my octane 2 and other crazy video card as show me up nice Vpro 6 wont work I try everything once again.

I really feel obligated to ask - is English a secondary language for you? I noticed that you list the USA as your location, but I'm wondering if you were born elsewhere.

Foxes are born in holes. Give the guy a break. :D
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass . --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.
I was born in Long Beach, CA and Unix is my first language, then English is my second. I spend 10 years of my life at computer nothing but computers, friends came and go. School was great place to space out and think about computer hardware. I rarely leave the house and my phone never rings, so ya English is my second language :lol:

Anyone going to sell me Vpro video card??

Fox
The Paw Is the Way To Go

Foxler of FoxRunner PC
So when you boot the Octane you get absolutely no video what so ever? Can you put this system in single user mode with the v6?
starfoxacefox wrote: other crazy video card as show me up nice Vpro 6 wont work I try everything once again. So it dead from what I know...

<cough> It ain't easy when you've got to guess at *both* the question and answer. :lol:

Long shot, but if the "other crazy video card" wasn't a VPro series, *and* IRIX was loaded when the "other" graphics adapter was installed, you'll probably need to install the VPro software bits before the V6 will work.
recondas wrote:
starfoxacefox wrote: other crazy video card as show me up nice Vpro 6 wont work I try everything once again. So it dead from what I know...

<cough> It ain't easy when you've got to guess at *both* the question and answer. :lol:

Long shot, but if the "other crazy video card" wasn't a VPro series, *and* IRIX was loaded when the "other" graphics adapter was installed, you'll probably need to install the VPro software bits before the V6 will work.

Thats what I was getting at :P
Well I try it in both my octane and guy I got it on ebay show it was working on prom which should have boot to a graphic prom. The MXE work fine in there, there was no OS on there.. Hmm any ideas.. me lost just going to by vpro or other mxe..

Fox
The Paw Is the Way To Go

Foxler of FoxRunner PC
starfoxacefox wrote: Well I try it in both my octane and guy I got it on ebay show it was working on prom which should have boot to a graphic prom. The MXE work fine in there, there was no OS on there.. Hmm any ideas.. me lost just going to by vpro or other mxe..

Do you have any other graphics cards installed when you place th v6 into slot A?

No OS installed on the octane, right?

Have you tried cleaning and re-seating the system?

Any lights turn on when you power it up? does it make any noise?
starfoxacefox wrote: which should have boot to a graphic prom

It shouldn't be an issue with an Octane2, but it is also possible you don't have a PROM revision new enough to support VPro graphics.

If you need to check you can connect via serial terminal and issue the command "version" at the PROM command line - while you're in there, you might consider executing a "resetenv".
recondas wrote:
starfoxacefox wrote: which should have boot to a graphic prom

It shouldn't be an issue with an Octane2, but it is also possible you don't have a PROM revision new enough to support VPro graphics.

If you need to check you can connect via serial terminal and issue the command "version" at the PROM command line - while you're in there, you might consider executing a "resetenv".

Perhaps also a 'hinv' and 'printenv' just to see what comes out.

Checking the XBOW lights is also a good idea (which I think is what was meant by "do any lights come on") to make sure that the XIO connection is good and something didn't slip. When you shipped it, what protection was used for the compression connectors?
Ok here my steps I did when I got this Octane 2

1~ Check for power on and boot, no go

2~ Pulled it part IP, Video, Xbow

3~ Hit it with 40pis of air

4~ Wipe down Octane case

5~ Pull all parts in nad make sure they are seated in

6~ Check for boot, no go

7~ Look at the Xbow lights, all good

8~ Plugin null cable and term into it

9~ Check hinv

>>hinv
System: IP30
Processor: 400 Mhz R12000, with FPU
Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary cache size: 2 Mbytes
Memory size: 1536 Mbytes
Network: ef0 ethernet (100/10 base-T)
SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(2)
Audio: RAD Audio Processor
Graphics: ODYSSEY

10~ Check printenv

>>printenv
AutoLoad=Yes
console=g
diskless=0
dbaud=9600
volume=80
sgilogo=y
autopower=y
netaddr=192.0.2.1
eaddr=08:00:69:13:ab:98
boottune=1
cpufreq=400
OSLoader=sash
NoAutoLoad=CONSOLE OPEN FAILED. ~No Keybaord~
ConsoleOut=serial(0)
ConsoleIn=serial(0)

11~ Check for version

>>version
PROM Monitor SGI Version 6.5 Rev 4.13 IP30 Feb 26, 2002 - 64 Bit

12~ Did a resetenv, no go found out that HD in there as no OS

13~ Try Vpro in other Octane no go

14~ Try MXE in Octane 2, goes graphic

15~ Bitch and kick the Octane

16~ Run over to nekochan.net and ask to buy new card

Fox :roll:
The Paw Is the Way To Go

Foxler of FoxRunner PC
There's a V12 auction at ebay right now, kinda pricey at a minimum bid of $1895 though:

->ebay link<-

No bids as of the moment...
I know seen it like 5 times in the last 2 months, that price he not going to sell it. There is v8 but I'm kind of not the person that bids out of state. Shipping is to risky..

Fox
The Paw Is the Way To Go

Foxler of FoxRunner PC
From your answer to #14, i.e. MXE works but not VPro, I'd say you need to install the VPro support piece of IRIX, that's what's missing... It's been discussed on nekochan quite a few times...