Everything Else

Archaeological dig: old Indys from Acclaim Entertainment unearthed - Page 2

SiliconClassics wrote: I'm going to post each of these Indys to eBay with their original contents intact, with 20% to charity.

I fully understand your choice. Two questions, though;

Will you say which Indy is the one that has the Turok source on it?

Do multiple Indys have the source, or just one?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image
Aaron/SiliconClassics

I didn't know you were an attorney but it's good to know you're wanting to cover your ass - I'm disappointed but I respect your choice. I appreciate your sharing with the community and I'm sorry that some of our members have attacked you personally, I also see from your Youtube videos you got a shitload of dislikes. I'm sorry for that and I hope to get one of these boxes.

Good luck with the sale bro.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
Thanks, it's not unexpected - these kinds of reactions are typical. And Dodoid, yes, I will detail the contents of each Indy to the best of my ability in the item description. The Turok source Indy will be going up in a few hours.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+
SiliconClassics wrote: Thanks, it's not unexpected - these kinds of reactions are typical.

I wonder why. It's so irrational :roll:
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
Y888099 wrote:
SiliconClassics wrote: Thanks, it's not unexpected - these kinds of reactions are typical.

I wonder why. It's so irrational :roll:

I think people are upset that he (claims he) didn't take a backup. People are unhappy that he is effectively throwing a rare artifact to the wind. I don't know if I agree with them, and SiliconClassics is certainly stuck between a rock and a hard place here, but I see the source of the anger. While I doubt it, someone could buy that Indy and light the drive on fire. People don't like that very much.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
It's currently over $2,000 on eBay with three days left in the bidding. That would be an awful lot to spend on a computer just to take a sledgehammer to it.
SiliconClassics wrote: It's currently over $2,000 on eBay with three days left in the bidding. That would be an awful lot to spend on a computer just to take a sledgehammer to it.

I know. I don't think that will happen, but I think a lot of others suspect it will or more likely that someone will buy it and not release anything (which they are totally allowed to do but would piss a lot of people off). I'm just trying to figure out their rationale, not agree with them.
SiliconClassics wrote: It's currently over $2,000 on eBay with three days left in the bidding. That would be an awful lot to spend on a computer just to take a sledgehammer to it.

But then again, sometimes they do . That's a note on the classiccmp list where Gene B mentioned Boeing buying up two independent simulators for $2,700 so they can scrap them, taking them off the market and consequently destroying some rare old minicomputers.

Yes they're bigger and deal with much more expensive equipment, but it's hardly unreasonable to think the folks making money off Turok on Steam wouldn't want to secure this related IP before it somehow threatens their existing investment.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Since the highest bidder has 138 transactions and has transactional history in computers and networking, I'd suffice to say the current high bidder is a collector.
and then it got lost in the post..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
uunix wrote: and then it got lost in the post..

Yup the US government will have it in a huge warehouse at Area 51, where no one will see it again.

There will even be a movie about it called Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost Indy.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Lost-Ark-Crate-Warehouse.jpg
Lost-Ark-Crate-Warehouse.jpg (243.67 KiB) Viewed 663 times
And sold for 2,551.99 to s***X with 138 ebay transactions. I would imagine this guy will leak the source lol.
Raion-Fox wrote: And sold for 2,551.99 to s***X with 138 ebay transactions. I would imagine this guy will leak the source lol.

Hmmm, I wonder if said copyright holder could somehow get a court to subpeona AJ (or ebay?) into releasing the identity of the buyer if that happens... just kicking the can further down the road.

More practically, they probably won't care. If they did care, they would have bought the machines to regain control of their IP.
I doubt it. Nightdive has the trademark now, so I doubt they'll sue. More likely they may appreciate the beta being released as free publicity (PERHAPS??)
Dreamworks is supposedly the actual IP rights holder for Turok, but neither they nor anyone else has any legal standing to subpoena me about this sale. And I'm happy to report that the buyer is someone whom I know from past transactions - a stand-up individual who is exactly the kind of person who can be trusted to take care of this relic.
SiliconClassics wrote: Dreamworks is supposedly the actual IP rights holder for Turok, but neither they nor anyone else has any legal standing to subpoena me about this sale. And I'm happy to report that the buyer is someone whom I know from past transactions - a stand-up individual who is exactly the kind of person who can be trusted to take care of this relic.

One question: I know you probably wouldn't have wanted to do this, but would it have been legal in theory for you to approach that particular buyer knowing that he would "take care of the relic" (assumed to mean leak the code) as opposed to selling it publicly, or is there some law against choosing to sell to a particular person with the intention that they will break copyright law?

Just curious, not suggesting you should have done that.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the buyer would leak the code, just that he would properly preserve it and prevent it from being lost. And yes, the law does generally impose accomplice / conspiracy liability on someone who picks another person to do the dirty work, so I couldn't rightfully strike a deal with someone to buy the Indy and "fence" the code without exposing myself to potential legal consequences. But that's all hypothetical, and at this point nobody can know exactly what's going to happen with the contents of this Indy in the coming months.
SiliconClassics wrote: Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the buyer would leak the code, just that he would properly preserve it and prevent it from being lost. And yes, the law does generally impose accomplice / conspiracy liability on someone who picks another person to do the dirty work, so I couldn't rightfully strike a deal with someone to buy the Indy and "fence" the code without exposing myself to potential legal consequences. But that's all hypothetical, and at this point neither I nor anyone else can know exactly what's going to happen with the contents of this Indy in the coming months.

Cool, good to know.
Updated video: