Everything Else

Archaeological dig: old Indys from Acclaim Entertainment unearthed - Page 1

I'm sorting through a bunch of Indys that used to belong to Acclaim Entertainment, the now-defunct developer of games like Turok Dinosaur Hunter and NBA Jam. It's quite a story and after years in storage the systems are finally starting to reveal their secrets.

These Indys, more than a dozen in total, came into my possession via a Russian who operated out of a warehouse in Brooklyn. I met him several years ago through Craigslist, when he was selling some old copies of Softimage and other IRIX software. He was a tough negotiator, but because he didn't specialize in retro SGI kit I was able to pick it all up for a good price.

He had purchased most of it from the Acclaim liquidation sale in 2005, and the software, hardware, and books sat collecting dust ever since. It was all stored in a big, dark room on two-story shelves running floor to ceiling. Thankfully, despite not being treated with the best of care, the Indys were in solid shape. Except one of them...

It was a treasure trove of vintage 3D - boxed sets of Softimage, Maya, Nichimen N-World, and dozens of mint CD-ROMs of PowerAnimator, Alias Wavefront, Explore, Composer, etc. It took two trips and hours climbing over industrial shelves to retrieve it all, only for it to sit silently in my storage unit until last week, when I finally started to sort through it.

Despite the fact that these systems are two decades old and use the Nidec power supplies, almost all of them boot up and run perfectly. Here's one that still has a couple of old user accounts - Mimoun Ouchaou and Nick Schipano , who according to Mobygames and LinkedIn are programmers.

Many of the systems have old source code, art assets, motion capture data, and licenses, which I will carefully preserve for posterity. It will no doubt take weeks to sift through it all. I'll post updates with interesting finds along the way.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+
now that's a bounty :D
You have a boxed set of Nichimen N-World? I wanted to see this in action for a long time.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.
tomvos wrote: You have a boxed set of Nichimen N-World? I wanted to see this in action for a long time.

Yep, here's part of it:

It's installed and licensed on one of the Indys, but I need to kill the passwords before I can access the user account that runs it. Been dying to see it in action too. If I can get it working I'll post some screens.
Wow!
Is that a version of EIAS from Mac-only days? Very impressive.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Yep, that's ElectricImage version 2.9. Really fast renderer but it didn't have built-in modeling so it was never a complete package. Still kind of cool to have though.
SiliconClassics wrote: Yep, that's ElectricImage version 2.9. Really fast renderer but it didn't have built-in modeling so it was never a complete package. Still kind of cool to have though.

EI (or was it ZaxWerks?) recommended FormZ as a modeling application. Although I think some used Amapi for organic shapes.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
I've always been a fan of Fractal Design Painter's "paint can" packaging. :D
Some of these Indys have inventory stickers that didn't seem related to Acclaim, so I began to wonder if the Russian had acquired them from different companies.

The badges carry the names Sculptured Software, Iguana Entertainment, and Probe Software...

But after a little digging, it made sense. Sculptured Software was a video game developer founded in 1984 in Salt Lake City, Utah that did a lot of arcade ports in the 80s and 90s. Their credits include titles like Mortal Kombat and a number of Star Wars / WWF games. Acclaim bought them in 1995, changed their name to Iguana West in 1997, and finally rechristened them Acclaim Studios Salt Lake City in 1999.

Iguana Entertainment was founded in 1991 in Sunnyvale, CA and moved to Austin in 1993. They did a lot of console titles - a bunch of NHL/NFL games, NBA Jam,Turok, etc. They were also bought by Acclaim in 1995 and subsequently renamed Acclaim Studios Austin.

Probe Software was founded in 1984 in Croydon, England. They worked on titles for a whole range of consoles including the ZX Spectrum, Game Gear, Sega Saturn, Amiga, NES, etc. Credits include Crazy Taxi, Re-Volt, Die Hard, and a lot more. Acclaim was really on a tear in 1995 because they bought Probe that year along with the aforementioned studios, renaming it Acclaim Cheltenham.

So eventually, these Indys from Texas, Utah, and England all wound up in New York at Acclaim's liquidation sale, then sat on a shelf in a riverfront Brooklyn warehouse for a decade.
Not just consoles: Probe did a lot of stuff for 8-bitters too. I remember their Commodore 64 games, especially Smash TV, which I played a LOT.

I remember Sculptured mostly for their Apple II and Atari ports (I actually played Beach-Head on the Apple II, though it was a poor reflection of the C64 version) but they were most prolific on the SNES.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
That's an impressive selection of hardware and software you have there. But what impresses me most is the depth of the research you've done on these machines and the companies that used to own them. Great job tracking down all that history!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000
Thanks! There's a lot more work to be done sifting through each individual system. Looks like it will be my winter project :)
Update: I've imaged all the hard drives and started digging through these Indys to see what's on their drives. Some pics:

In that last pic you can see raw mocap marker points as photographed by the cameras. Acclaim had a substantial mocap operation in the late 90s that was among the most advanced in the world.

The Indy I'm currently examining has the N64 dev tools installed (no board unfortunately) and a bunch of audio files from Turok and some old sports games. Will post a brief YouTube video later today.
Whoops! Just found the source code for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter! Link to YouTube quickie .

:shock:

Uber Great find!

I'm more than happy to go through any source code with you if you want to know anything about it. Be interesting to see the likelyhood of writing mondern graphics engine if all the game logic and ancillary stuff is there (just need to swap out n64 code, if thats whats there).

Dare I say it, an Irix port?
Silicon Classics,

Do be sure to upload all of this content you find somewhere. Likely, not here or anywhere due to the illegal nature of this, but maybe in a bittorrent or on some other site somewhere.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
outstanding! just watched the video ... nice use of the internal speaker :P
Excellent find, comparing it to a metal detectorist finding an ancient roman coin. Sweet!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
That is a find of staggering proportion! :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Quite a wave of butthurt from angry geeks who are upset that I won't be openly engaging in copyright violation at great personal expense (looking at you, Pentium). As was my intention from the beginning, I'm going to post each of these Indys to eBay with their original contents intact, with 20% to charity. Anyone who takes issue with that can take a hike.

spiroyster wrote: Dare I say it, an Irix port?

That would be pretty awesome!