Everything Else

Finally posted the next Silicon Classics episode

It took almost a year, but I finally found time to make the retrospective on the Mac Color Classic that I promised at the end of my ThinkPad video. This time, my friend Jason did the voiceover, and I spent more time on the lighting and editing to create a more professional look (I hope!).

Hope you enjoy. After the Gateway 2000 video, I'll probably do one about the SGI O2.
Very nicely made, looks very professional. Was almost as funny as it was informational.
ajerimez wrote: It took almost a year, but I finally found time to make the retrospective on the Mac Color Classic that I promised at the end of my ThinkPad video. This time, my friend Jason did the voiceover, and I spent more time on the lighting and editing to create a more professional look (I hope!).

Hope you enjoy. After the Gateway 2000 video, I'll probably do one about the SGI O2.

Great video!
Very professional narrated and shot.
I don't know much about Macs but now at least I know something about the color classic!

Harry
Mein Führer, I can walk!
Great job, AJ!
yep! nice work aj

this little cubistic mac always had its mojo working

w/ the mystic upgrade i was able to max out the ram @128MB (kinda undocumented for the lc575 but works rocksteady). i also had tons of fun capturing through s-video via an lc/pds card back in the day (originally available only in japan)
Very well done, two thumbs up!

I'm looking forward for future episodes.
www.sgistuff.net - SGI info since 2001

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:
Very nicely done! I look forward to more!
:Onyx2: :Indigo2: :O3x0:
Thanks! In retrospect, I wish I had included some info about the Sonnet Presto Plus, an add-on accelerator board that includes a 68040, 32MB RAM, and an ethernet port. Probably a much better alternative to a Mystic upgrade.

Happy New Year to all.
extremely looking forward to some sgi video stuff :D
good work!
r-a-c.de
fu wrote: w/ the mystic upgrade i was able to max out the ram @128MB (kinda undocumented for the lc575 but works rocksteady). i also had tons of fun capturing through s-video via an lc/pds card back in the day (originally available only in japan)

It could even possibly accept a larger capacity simm. Mine is also stuck at 132MB, with a PDS video card and commslot1 ethernet, and full 040 oc'd to 40mhz bus speed.
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
The videos you have produced so far, are really of a good quality.
Keep it up.
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Excellent video, informative, and well edited.
I had a Color Classic in the late 90s/early 2000s. Truthfully, it was more of a pain in the ass rather than a neat collectible, for a lot of the reasons you listed.
I think I donated it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill, some place like that.

Regardless, great job.
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield
I've heard Color Classic II was much improved. My favorite compact Mac case is the SE. Crisp and clean design, and of the innards for the compact Macs sold in the US it would be either the SE/30 or SE (for a 68000 Mac). Pity they didn't do a "Color SE/40" - that would have been a killer.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
zahal, what's the make/model for the s-vdieo pds card? can't recall anymore after all these years.

iirc, the only "drawback" to maxing the ram was a few more seconds when cold-bootin' the puppy.

saq, each and every person (be it a scientist/artist/philosopher/fisherman) i've ever met who owned an SE , echoes your wish. never owned one but i hear that some SEs are still serving files in classic mac networks.
fu wrote: zahal, what's the make/model for the s-vdieo pds card? can't recall anymore after all these years.

iirc, the only "drawback" to maxing the ram was a few more seconds when cold-bootin' the puppy.

saq, each and every person (be it a scientist/artist/philosopher/fisherman) i've ever met who owned an SE , echoes your wish. never owned one but i hear that some SEs are still serving files in classic mac networks.

It's not s-video, it's a framebuffer and from what I can recall it was the best LC-PDS one available: the Lapis LC 2421.
I could never find the drivers for it, so I might be missing some acceleration features. It does recognize the attached monitor's resolutions and can drive large (for it's time) screens.
There are some s-video LC-PDS cards made by Focus, mostly for displaying video to TV. I'm sure video capture cards were also made, but I do not recall the company (I think a Japanese outfit made some).

You are right, cold booting a huge RAMwise mac will take some time, and since the bypass RAM check feature debuted with OS 8.5 IIRC, 68k macs will always check RAM. I might try to find a 256MB or 512MB 72pin SIMM and settle the ages old question of what the RAM ceiling for the lc575 is.
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX