Everything Else

Blogpost about Flash, Apple and Microsoft

I hope neko doesn't mind, but I spent a lot of time writing that post up and I do want a lot of people to see it, especially people who compute "on the edge", i.e. Nekochanners. There's no Flash on IRIX, so I was hoping that as soon as Firefox 3 gets compiled and working, we might be able to all watch OGG video together - it doesn't seem to take more CPU cycles than Xvid.

http://www.andychiw.com/2010/computers/ ... e-colours/
Originally Posted by Tommie
Please delete your post. It is an insult to all the hard work society has put into making you an intelligent being.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.
I don't necessarily disagree with Apple's take on Flash, but they're reminding me of Nintendo in the early 90s.

In short, Nintendo was being a huge dildo to ISVs.

But it was OK cause they were #1 and they felt they could do whatever they want.

Then when the Playstation showed up, a lot of them jumped ship.

Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII and others came out for the PSX and Nintendo was a very distant 2nd for the next ten years.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
Frapazoid wrote: In short, Nintendo was being a huge dildo to ISVs.

But it was OK cause they were #1 and they felt they could do whatever they want.

But in this case, he's correct.

Flash is a steaming pile of pig shit. Adobe couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag, they're a herd of liars and cheats who haven't done a damn thing worthwhile in ten years. It's about time someone called them on it.

And the people who use Flash are retarded. Half of them still haven't figured out that you need a way to bypass that garbage for when it doesn't work and the other half use it when an animated GIF would do a better job. Flash is a bunch of stupid twelve-year-olds playing in the sandbox (when they aren't pouring their cereal bowls over their heads.)

Yay Jobs ! Go Steve Go !
PostScript is excellent.

PDF was a great idea that they managed to turn into a bloated security risk

AIR is truely dreadful.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
I've always wondered exactly how it was even possible for Acrobat Reader to be such a monsterously bloated program...

I dunno if it still is though, I quit using it many years ago.

It sounds like it is.

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
Frapazoid wrote: I've always wondered exactly how it was even possible for Acrobat Reader to be such a monstrously bloated program...

They also forgot the meaning of the word PORTABLE immediately after they gained control of that market.

I'm not real big on liars :(
can't wait for HTML 5.0!!!!
Former: :O2: R10000 | :540: | :O2: 600Mhz | :O2: R5000
Plastic City is back!!! >>> http://www.plasticcity.de
cryz wrote: can't wait for HTML 5.0!!!!

Before or after M$ embraced and extended it? :x
"(Jim) Clark's friends who did not know Ed McCracken came to believe that the man's name was Fucking Ed McCracken. Always the prankster, Clark also replaced the nameplate on his nemesis's door with one reading "Ed McMuffin," a change it took poor Ed three days to notice"-Salon
Former owner of :4D310:
I like flash, without flash the web would from Unix perspective be very bad, games for kids are available on Unix thanks for flash.

But I also see MR Jobs point where he says that these tools to make flash and java and so will not and can not take the full advantage of
each platforms unique capability.

I remember and we still see what happend when MS did their push in to Enterprise and EDA market using tools from Bristol and Mainsoft until they had moved all development on MS platform and crosscompiled
with all MS API over UNIX API making the Unix port dead slow and cumbersam to use so people switched from Unix to MS, even MSExplorer where once available on Solaris using Mainsoft!

But Macromedia has made flash on all major platforms which I think they deserve some credit for, sadly Irix is out now but that is not their fault!

/michael
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
I like flash too, without it the web would be as it was back in the bad old days.

MS and Apple are doing this crap just to expand the reach of their IP cartel.

hamei wrote: And the people who use Flash are retarded. Half of them still haven't figured out that you need a way to bypass that garbage for when it doesn't work and the other half use it when an animated GIF would do a better job. Flash is a bunch of stupid twelve-year-olds playing in the sandbox (when they aren't pouring their cereal bowls over their heads.)

Gee thanks, but at least my hair smells like fruity pebbles.
I think people who use Flash are artists who don't want to deal with the retarded mess that is using HTML & CSS for graphics design. Fighting with multiple browser's renderers...

Its a lot better now that people are abandoning support for IE6. 90% of the problem was IE6. But a lot of professionals still strongly prefer Flash.

You could just have a bunch of programmers do everything instead of artists.

That works...OK. Its very elegant in ways no real people give a rat's rear about, but it looks like this .