Apple

Apple Server Rack Mount Noise

Has anyone any experience with working alongside these?

I currently have running a Dell 1900 which is fairly noisy (but I've got used to the consistent hum), An Octane2 which is noisy, an o2 less noisy. So I'm sort of use to having a fair bit of background noise, but I'd like the Dell to go, but not be replaced by something more noisy. I also have (which never get turned on) an IBM x[something] and a SOPHOS rack, both of which sound like a harrier jump jet all the time, which I would never want to work next to.

Thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: ... both of which sound like a harrier jump jet all the time, which I would never want to work next to.

Just pump up the volume ... 7 years and 50 days on 11 should do it :D
The time has come for someone to put his foot down ...
hamei wrote:
uunix wrote: ... both of which sound like a harrier jump jet all the time, which I would never want to work next to.

Just pump up the volume ... 7 years and 50 days on 11 should do it :D

nice hamei, unfortunately, I don't live alone nor do I live in a nuclear fall out shelter in the Hebrides.. ;)
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
What specifically are you thinking of getting?

I have an Apple Network Server, which is pretty quiet, considering, but also probably not what you have in mind :)

The Xserve G4s are quiet. The G5s can be shrill.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Intel Xserv .. 2 of them is a half cabinet.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
I have an Intel Xserve. Fairly silent when idle at least, for a 1U machine.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
That my friend will do as a jolly good answer.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
If you're looking for a general rule - avoid the 1U formfactor if you want to escape the noise. Anything limited to ~40mm fans has to have a couple fistfuls of them, and spin them fast, in order to keep things cool even under partial load. Moving to 2U can make a big difference as the 60-80mm fans aren't as noisy, and you have more options for replacing those sizes with quieter versions.

That doesn't mean the Apple x86 Xserve's can't be quiet - I haven't seen/heard one in person. Like I said, just a general rule...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: If you're looking for a general rule - avoid the 1U formfactor if you want to escape the noise.

I have an HP switch that is the exception to that rule : they took a 45* chop out of the bottom and laid a big fan over at an angle. Pretty clever way to get some quietness and a lot of air movement into a 1U case.
hamei wrote: I have an HP switch that is the exception to that rule : they took a 45* chop out of the bottom and laid a big fan over at an angle. Pretty clever way to get some quietness and a lot of air movement into a 1U case.

I can't conveniently check now, but I'm pretty sure you'll find the same thing in a NeXTstation slab...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: I'm pretty sure you'll find the same thing in a NeXTstation slab...

Indy is almost exactly the same. They even have fins cast into the air tunnel to help dissipate the heat.

But I think we've seen the last of the cast cases :(

The lack of intelligence displayed in rackmount cases is disappointing ...
Intel Xserve is tolerable for a 1U. G5 is worse, but G4 was way too loud (for me) to be in the same room.
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
hamei wrote: I have an HP switch that is the exception to that rule : they took a 45* chop out of the bottom and laid a big fan over at an angle. Pretty clever way to get some quietness and a lot of air movement into a 1U case.

Don't I wish they kept that design for the DL160 :-P
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.