Apple

Tim Cook's new way... - Page 2

skywriter wrote:
Predictably, you've missed the point.

Your point was? I should assume somebody else is right and I am wrong because they are an "elder"? I should listen blindly to what others say because I've been conscious for a few years less?
When you're wrong? Of course, how else do you learn things you have experience with?

DECUS Member 368596
Can we get back to how Apple sucks?

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
skywriter wrote:
When you're wrong? Of course, how else do you learn things you have experience with?

And on whose authority am I "wrong" about anything I've said? Would you care to disprove me?
ClassicHasClass wrote:

I would love to. Some people, on the other hand, would rather derail this discussion and grunt like bitter old men who are fed up with "all them damn young'ins 'n their fancy book smarts."

Anyway, as I was on-track to say earlier, I think Cook may have an uphill battle ahead of him trying to break through the "What Would Steve Do" culture. I don't think he wants to be Steve 2.0, and he's made it obvious that he isn't going to be.
I think people running snow leopard shouldn't complain about things they are unfamiliar with. Mountain Lion (and Lion for that matter) are fine updates. If anything, they didn't change enough to keep it exciting. My only complaint lately is quality control is definitely slipping. IOS and iPhone 5 shouldn't have shipped with those bugs (screen flickering and the no service issues), just silly to have to wait for patches. I almost returned the damn thing but I decided to hold out for patches which just finally came.

I really don't care how Tim Cook runs the company as long as the products work as advertised and satisfy my needs.

Linux on the desktop is still abysmal and while that statement is true, my desktop choice will remain with Apple and OSX.

Agreed. I put Lion on my old MBP and haven't had any problems or noticed any big changes... like you said, things really haven't changed that much. My wife happens to love it.
ClassicHasClass wrote:

Add Google to the list. I just went looking for "quiet fan replacement Cisco 3660" and what do I get ? 68,496 returns in .2 seconds, every single one a seller of Cisco memory, Cisco FANASSY3660, a bunch of hits for "quite" (Did you mean quite ? No I fucking-A did NOT mean "quite" and if I did then it's my own fucking problem, get your stupid worthless goddamned crap out of my search you nitwits, thank you so much Oh ! Well in that case click this button and we'll remove the references to "quite." Hit button, NO wrong references removed, I am so glad that Google is such an innovative creative asset to modern society. Let's throw out all the furniture making so we can have hi-tech !! Replace real craftsmen with pretentious ignorant dog turds walking around in human costumes, just super.)

Btw, I really appreciate their thoughtfulness in changing the language to Chinese every time I turn around. That is so helpful. And moving me to Hong Kong is good too. I'm too stupid to go there myself, what was I thinking when I purposely typed in google. ca instead of google.hk ?

And oh yeah, the site selling the fan assembly for a Toyota Celica was superb. What an idea ! Maybe I should get the radiator while I'm at it. What an algorithm ! These people are brilliant.

Google is making money hand over fist ! They are successful ! They are wonderful ! They have big profits ! Let's invest ! Let's get rid of some more useless rust-belt industries with low returns so we can have more of this excellent stuff ! We can be a service economy where no one actually knows anything ! (Have you been to an Apple Store lately ? Oh my.)

They are useless dickwads and if the entire society keeps heading in the dclough direction, you can write it off. Where did the Mesa Verde Indians disappear to ? They got google and it was all over ...

dclough wrote:
Your point was? I should assume somebody else is right and I am wrong because they are an "elder"? I should listen blindly to what others say because I've been conscious for a few years less?

This was funny. Thanks, dclough. You won't listen to others just because they are "elders", good on ya. That's why you parrot the crap from the Cato Institution, the American Heritage Institution, The Freedom and Apple Pie Institution, the Make The Trains Run On Time by Reducing Corporate Taxes to Zero Institution, the Let Them Eat Cake Institution without a single qualm. Oh yeah, you think for yourself !

Ha. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Even Helen Keller wasn't this blind. Those round things on each side of your nose ? Open them. Your gods have had control of the US for roughly thirty-five years. In that time they have remade the country into a shithole, stolen every loose penny they could find, destroyed the middle class, destroyed democracy, pissed away trillions of dollars on useless wars, plunged the world's economies into a toilet from which they will probably never emerge, made the entire world understand that the US is a menace to humanity .. oh yeah, those are certainly the people I would be looking to for auctorite. Definitely ! Let me tell ya, you are really an independent thinker ! None of that old-fogey bullshit for you !

dclough wrote:
The market will determine whether his way is "the right way" through the financial success of the company.

And the world is flat and the moon is made of green cheese and the tooth fairy will be here later tonight to put a quarter under your pillow.

dclough wrote:
hamei wrote:
Tim Cook's goal in life is to grab as much money as he can for himself and to hell with the rest of the world. If you don't believe that I have a lovely golden bridge to sell you.

Because you know him and he's personally told you that? Oh, you don't know him, you say?

For once, you happen to be correct. I don't know Tim Cook.

But I do know Tom Perkins. Once upon a time he was an admirable human being. Now he's nothing but a leech and a parasite, pretty much worthless scum. If there weren't so many boot-licking toadies in the US this change might never have happened.

Financialization has turned the United States into a third-rate reproduction of eighteenth-century France. No good can come of this.

dclough wrote:
Some people, on the other hand, would rather derail this discussion and grunt like bitter old men who are fed up with "all them damn young'ins 'n their fancy book smarts."

Fancy book smarts ? I wish. If you had ever read a real book then you wouldn't spout the stoopid garbage you do. You can start with Sophocles and work your way to the present. I won't even start on the list, there are too many you've never opened .. but make sure you read Gibbon and Adam Smith and Karl Marx and even Ayn Rand. None of them say what the Cato Instituti0n claims they say. Not a single one.

I'm not complaining about your book smarts. I'm complaining because you and your entire generation don't have any book smarts. All you have is the retarded propaganda you read in Forbes or some Ziff-Davis or Rupert Murdoch rag.

Bitter ? Not really. Pissed off when this crappy "high-tech" shit doesn't work ? I'll admit to that. All my life I've made things that work. It's annoying to watch my country and my society turn to a cesspool. The products your generation creates are garbage, okay ? We created CNC machines, you outsource. We created computers to solve real problems, you have Facebook and Twitter and a million other worthless "technologies" none of which actually function. We pumped billions into basic research to understand the world, you are handing it over to private corporations as a gift because "profits" are all that you can imagine as worthwhile.

It's not bitterness so much as frustration that your generation is so stupid. The history of the world is right in front of you but you piss all your opportunities away on nonsense. It's discouraging. Young 'ins [sic] are a real disappointment. Maybe you need the draft so you can get some perspective on what life is actually about.
hamei wrote:
This was funny. Thanks, dclough. You won't listen to others just because they are "elders", good on ya.

I did not say I wouldn't listen to someone older than me. I will listen to someone older than me if they can prove that they are RIGHT. What I WILL NOT do is sit here and "Yes sir, No sir, as you wish sir" every goddamn thing you and skywriter say because you purport yourselves to be elders. Fuck you if you think I will mindlessly obey everything you say because you're "older", and fuck you if you have a problem with someone younger disagreeing with you on something. Get used to the fact that the world does not revolve around you, you do not hold all the answers, and you are not the smartest person in the room.

Older? Yes. Smarter? Not necessarily.

Quote:
If you had ever read a real book then you wouldn't spout the stoopid garbage you do. You can start with Sophocles and work your way to the present. I won't even start on the list, there are too many you've never opened .. but make sure you read Gibbon and Adam Smith and Karl Marx and even Ayn Rand. None of them say what the Cato Instituti0n claims they say. Not a single one.

You don't know what I've read. You don't know what I know. I've read the classics. I've studied Plato. One word: Apology. A work entirely based on a society in which people were threatened by the idea of someone being smarter than them. Put simply, they were scared. Scared that there existed something of which they did not know. That someone dared to share an idea counter to theirs. Socrates stood trial for his wisdom, he was persecuted and then prosecuted for challenging the wisdom of those deemed infallible. You make yourself out to be Socrates, but you are not. You are the jury who votes to slay free thought. You are not a poet. You are not a craftsman (lest that give you credibility elsewhere). You are a politician. You are an ignorant prick. As much as you like to refute it, you are a bitter and damaged old man. You don't have to be intimidated by my beliefs. Save your breath for someone else, someone more impressionable who will buy that bullshit you sell in bulk.
Now ^ that was funny :) Thank you !
hamei wrote:

Thank you for laughing and raging like a true fool in the face of my every rebuttal, and proving to the world that ageism is alive and well.
dclough wrote:
hamei wrote:

Thank you for laughing and raging like a true fool in the face of my every rebuttal, and proving to the world that ageism is alive and well.

I think you missed the point :)

I was laughing because you seem quite upset at the gods of Finance being debunked (Toto ! Get away from that curtain !) but of all the examples you could think of, you chose Socrates.

I was actually thinking of the story of Midas and how the Romans ignored it, the Spanish ignored it, the English ignored it and then the US decided to follow in those august footsteps. We really don't learn much from history.

Back to Apple, it appears that they crested the creativity arc and now are into the money-grubbing stage. Every other company which has done this went down the shitter. Contrary to your assertions, d, the purpose of a company is not to make money. As soon as they turn to that they become the walking dead.

I wouldn't be buying any Apple stock ....
Anyone taking over from Jobs would get the same blind unsubstantiated rhetoric, whether from apple haters or apple fanboys. There's nothing unique about this thread that you can't find on slashdot, gizmodo, or any of the other favorite wholesale outlets of ignorant techno-ranting. Thanks for finally bringing Nekochan to the bottom of my book marks these days.

Joe, please kill me now before I feed the trolls anything more.

DECUS Member 368596
hamei wrote:
I was laughing because you seem quite upset at the gods of Finance being debunked (Toto ! Get away from that curtain !) but of all the examples you could think of, you chose Socrates.

Gods of Finance? You put words in my mouth. The fact that someone like you can take the phrase "The market will ultimately decide whether it's the right thing" and glean from it "Gods of finance, Cato Institute, rabble rabble, Ayn Rand, rabble rabble rabble rabble, Heritage foundation, rabble rabble, corporate overlords" shows that you want nothing more than to build me into some giant strawman which you can hack at like a piñata.

Might I add that the majority of my response was outrage over your blatant ageism and "listen to me, I'm right because I'm older than you" attitudes?

I never said one damn thing about democracy, Cato Institute, Gods of Finance, books I have and haven't read, "tech blogs", corporate tax policy, etc.

All of the subjects you spent so long raging about like a lunatic were things that you introduced to this discussion, and then falsely criticized me for "believing in", while never getting back to actually telling me why my belief in a free market was flawed other than "Grrrr you're blind, they destroyed the whole world and it's just evil propaganda! Kids are useless because they invented FACEBOOK! Gasp! Computers never get used for useful things!"

You can understand my hesitation to believe anything you say when from my point of view, you look like a raging lunatic having an argument with himself.
skywriter wrote:
Joe, please kill me now before I feed the trolls anything more.
Joe, please kill sky now before he feeds us anymore nonsense. And hamei as well... :-)

Gods of Finance? You put words in my mouth. The fact that someone like you can take the phrase "The market will ultimately decide whether it's the right thing" and glean from it "Gods of finance, Cato Institute, rabble rabble, Ayn Rand, rabble rabble rabble rabble, Heritage foundation, rabble rabble, corporate overlords" shows that you want nothing more than to build me into some giant strawman which you can hack at like a piñata.

Nice job with the ñ.

Where do you think all that "invisible hand of the free market" crap comes from ? When you put up those pap slogans, you're going to get called on their source. It's not part of economic theory and never has been until the kleptocrats set up propaganda mills to indoctrinate the masses.

Seems like it worked.

skywriter wrote:
Thanks for finally bringing Nekochan to the bottom of my book marks these days.

Then post something intelligent about what you did recently with your Silicon Graphics computers. Do something about our browser problem. Fix some code, even for a little utility. Test a few programs in /beta. Tell people how to set up their storage for the best results. Be part of the solution.
hamei wrote:
Gods of finance ? Fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders (aka ME !!) ? Where do you think all that "free market" crap comes from ? When you put up those pap slogans, you're going to get called on their source. It's not part of economic theory and never has been until the kleptocrats set up propaganda mills to indoctrinate the masses.

What the hell are you spouting on about? A free and efficient market is at the core of many economic models. We don't have a free market now, it's laced with restrictions and plenty of governments manipulating things behind the scenes (The US and China are equally guilty. China may openly manipulate their currency but to say the US Federal Reserve doesn't is a bold-faced lie), but if you're so goddamn smart, what do YOU think a market should be based on? Sunshine and unicorn farts? How do YOU think it should work?

Apple, as a company, requires MONEY to operate. People invest their money in a company because they recognize a certain value in the ideas and resources of the organization. A business can operate without investors, but it's much, much harder to grow.

Apple's leadership determines short- and long-term goals around which to focus their actions. One of those goals should always be MAXIMZING SHAREHOLDER VALUE, because guess what, if no one gets any value out of an investment, why the hell would they keep their money in it and end up losing? For good karma? Just for shits and giggles? Christ, you act like the concept of investing, borrowing and lending for gain, is so new, so foreign to the world, that clearly it could only have been the product of those "evil KKKapitalists in the US of A". You're beyond help if you think that.

If people like Apple's strategy and their overpriced shit, they will buy Apple's overpriced shit. Apple will make a (very large) profit on that overpriced shit. Apple's investors will see the value of their stake in the company increase as a result.

What the hell is escaping you in all this? Do they not teach you basic economics where you're from? Or are you just told to be a good little worker drone and take your seat on the assembly line, and please don't jump out the window on your lunch break?

You are a bitter person. You take every opportunity to be a pedantic little shitface about everything. "Don't post eBay links, it rips people off, I have to pay more, WAH WAH WAH, keep it a secret so I get a better deal." You pick shit out to bitch and moan about and frankly, it pisses me the fuck off. You have the biggest rod up your ass I've ever seen. Seek help for your many deep-rooted problems.