Apple

Convince me to keep this iMac G5

Yep, decided to get this thing as payment for cleaning some PC up at the church. Unfortunately I was being generous and wound up having a pretty little 17 inch iMac G5, 1.6Ghz with 2GB of RAM sitting at my work bench.

Now I have cleaned it up, analysed, changed passwords, locked it down... Now what? It seems fast for its age, and could stand to have a few more upgrades, but then I wouldn't know where to go from that point. As far as I can tell; I have absolutely no use for it, but it sure is pretty.

Other than Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, what can I do with this?

p.s. I will post the pictures when I find them.

NOTE You cannot use Virtual Disk Manager to create or to shrink physical hard drives.
VenomousPinecone wrote:
Other than Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, what can I do with this?

Give it to your mom. They are perfect for that.
hamei wrote:
Give it to your mom. They are perfect for that.

Depressing. :lol:
VenomousPinecone wrote:
Depressing. :lol:

Moms are people too, my friend !
Well since it's pretty to look at... why dont you use it as an 'art' thing? Run a picture slideshow or something similar. Only the other day I was thinking of getting a big flatscreen TV to use as a huge picture frame. Though it's not as big, your G5 would be prettier and give you many more options.
You can put 10.4.11 on it and have a small, fast machine that will run Classic mode.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Those are nice little unix machines. I have two PowerMac G5 that are still in service.
Hulu works on them. But not Netflix.
Javascript works great and so does Adobe CS3 for web development.
Final Cut Pro old school works.

Makes a great garage machine. We all need Unix in our garages!

Hulu works on them. But not Netflix.
Javascript works great and so does Adobe CS3 for web development.
Final Cut Pro old school works.

Makes a great garage machine. We all need Unix in our garages!

I have a fully loaded eMac (1.4GHz, 2GB of ram, 250GB drive, SuperDrive, Airport, swivel stand) that I use as a workbench machine to pull up manuals and stuff on. Runs 10.5 Server pretty good. A lot of flash stuff still works like my favorite radio stations streamer.

I have to say, as a Power Mac aficionado, the iMac G5 was not my favourite. It was more reliable than the water-cooled G5s (the quad notwithstanding) but it gets hot and low end iMac G5s aren't as much faster than the upper end (and much more interesting) Luxo G4s.

If I had to have a G5, it would either be a fast air-cooled (like the dual 2.3), or the quad (which I have and use daily).

If I had to have an iMac, I'd want a G4 (which this message is being typed on).

I don't hate the iMac G5, but it's not one I consider particularly a good iMac or a good G5, and it's not interesting enough to be collectable.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...