Apple

The new iPad - Page 1

And I love it.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
I went and looked at it over lunch. That display is niiiiiice.
got one already sky?

i hear that macs are next to be retina'ed, no time to test anything these days though
good things come to those that want them!

the display is reeeeaaaalllly nice. stuff looks so crisp on it, especially text. the rest of the upgrades are a pleasure coming from the first ipad. games are going to look awesome. too bad i dont play. i downloaded infinity blade ii too see what it's like though. definitely awesome.

DECUS Member 368596
I'm not overly impressed. So yes, the display is really nice, but there's nothing more to it than that. The CPU does not make things faster than on the iPad 2, the extra GPU-power is more than needed to drive that much pixels and being fabricated in an old process, the chip takes a lot of power, which makes the iPad 3 heavier and a little thicker although delivering shorter runtimes compared to the iPad 2.

EDIT: oh and there's LTE, which is completely useless outside the US (although I don't think, that 21mbit HSPA+ is something to worry about)
I was thinking about getting one, but decided to go with a maxed out BTO 11" Macbook Air instead (just arrived last week, loving it!). I still have a 64GB first gen iPad which will get the job done for another year :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Neko my first gen 64GB/3G was getting too slow. Since I didn't have an ipad2, the CPU bump was most appreciated. The display is awesome! I'm not happy with AT&T 4G, I might get the Verizon one too. I'll see it performs when someone at works gets one.

DECUS Member 368596
87Porsche wrote: That display is niiiiiice.

Almost as nice as my eight year old IBM monitor :P

But a lot smaller ........
nekonoko wrote: decided to go with a maxed out BTO 11" Macbook Air instead

you'll love the air pete, best laptop (in its literal sense) i've used so far

hamei wrote: Almost as nice as my eight year old IBM monitor

i bumped into one that wasn't in the accounting dept. this time and did some lower-thirds on it. yup its a decent monitor :)
fu wrote: i bumped into one that wasn't in the accounting dept. this time and did some lower-thirds on it. yup its a decent monitor

Snag the one that's in accounting, fu. They don't even know what it is .... Trade them for some flashy Dell and they'll be happy as clams :D

This is kind of interesting ... http://ignco.de/437
hamei wrote:
87Porsche wrote: That display is niiiiiice.

Almost as nice as my eight year old IBM monitor :P

But a lot smaller ........

I know what you mean. I've got a 21" Eizo Nanao CRT on my desk - big, heavy, hot, but very nice display.

It was also very free - even better.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
sky did you notice any (over)heating issues while using it?
fu wrote: sky did you notice any (over)heating issues while using it?

Just in his pants :P
Nope no overheating; I don't play games; bought a couple of they recommended games for their graphics (infinity blade II and galaxy on fire HD) anyway, and immediately lost interest in the boring gameplay. I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of HD movie material, Hulu, or Netflix yet. Nobody complained much about netbooks getting very hot when they came out.

The AT&T 4G is pretty good. At least while everyone else has jumped on Verizon.

DECUS Member 368596
Fonts on the new iPad is nice.
I have iPad2 and compared to my co-workers new iPad. We played Infinity Blade 2, overall performance was the same which was expected but the text is way better. The icons on the backdrop are way smoother. I never figure I would be so impressed by smooth text, but the thing is easy on the eyes for sure.

I bought my iPad2 a few weeks before the release of the new iPad but due certain situation I won't be able to trade it in for new the iPad. Wish I could. Still the iPad2 is nice :-)
5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
Just received mine. The display looks great, I'm impressed how well Flipboard works - ultra sharp fonts. While I'm not going to buy a new Mac instead of a new PC, I'm extremely satisfied with their mobile devices.

DECUS Member 368596
I believe sky only bought the iPad because he can run Linux on it:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239059/l ... ional.html

*ducks*
linux "the great equalizer": everything is truly equal when it's all worthless. there is no way to devalue something quicker that to put linux on it.

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote:
linux "the great equalizer": everything is truly equal when it's all worthless. there is no way to devalue something quicker that to put linux on it.

:twisted:

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000