Apple

What next? - Page 2

regan_russell wrote:
SupremeCmdr wrote: Any reason why the Carbon Emacs is preferred?

I'd suspect that since Emacs originated elsewhere, porting even part of it to Objective-C and cocoa would increase the likely-hood of bugs and bloat.

If I wanted to write superfast code on the Mac, I'd use C, Carbon, maybe some assembler and most importantly, profile the hell out of the code.
If I wanted to use all the features of OSX and ensure longevity of my software, I'd use Objective-C and Cocoa.

I am not a great Emacs fan.. I have only come a cross it in a couple of workplaces..

Regan

The Cocoa Emacs uses the original NextStep bindings, so basically it's just a checkout of the latest version of emacs from FSF, 23.* something. I built mine from the commandline like any normal OpenSource app.

I'll have to checkout the other one to see what the difference is.
Apple Unibody MBP 2.66Ghz, 8Gb OSX 10.6
Apple MacMini 1.83Ghz, 1Gb OSX 10.5
Apple Power Mac Cube 450Mhz, 256Mb, OSX 10.3 Sweet!
Sun Ultra10 440Mhz 1Gb, SunOS 5.10

http://gothmog.homeunix.net/blog
nekonoko wrote: Here are some of the items in my dock though

Hey Neko, how do you change the drive icons? The pic of the hard disk is kind of depressing.
^ CandyBar is one way 2 do it
RageX wrote: Hey Neko, how do you change the drive icons? The pic of the hard disk is kind of depressing.

It's just a matter of cut and paste. First, find a replacement icon you like. Right click on it, select "Get Info" ...

... and click the small portrait in the upper left corner of the dialog (it will highlight with a blue border). CMD+C to copy.

Next, right-click the drive icon you want to change, select "Get Info" ...

Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (25.42 KiB) Viewed 430 times

... click the small drive icon in the left hand corner ...

... and paste using CMD+V.

If you ever want to revert back to the default icon, do the "Get Info" thing again, click the portrait and hit the delete key.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
fu wrote: that's a huge busy dock neko !

Beats digging through the 195 items in my Applications folder :)

I've found that the vastly improved Leopard Spotlight is great for application digging - Spotlight will locate the package, allow me to launch it, and immediately halt the search without further disk scrubbing - total time: approx. 1.5 seconds.

That being said, I still fill my dock with tons of (sometimes useless) icons: here is my trusty 1.5 ghz PowerBook's current Desktop.

(checkout the Kerberos icon in the upper area of the dock - I don't need it there: all Kerberos commands are completed from a command prompt, I just like the look of it) :D
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.
Thanks for all the great suggestions on software, it's really helped to get my feet wet. I'll add a couple to the list of must-haves:

Unison
Transmission
Colloquy
EyeTV - My mac is now my tv+tivo, with support to dump shows to my iphone!
gSync - Finally have gcal<->ical<->iphone 3 way sync!
Handbrake
iPartition - Definitely worth the $$$. Can non-destructively resize bootcamp partitions.
Joost
NeoOffice - I have iWork but I use OO at work so I can't really make the jump yet.
Wallet - I hope they bring iphone syncing to this app when the SDK comes out.
Xvid/DivX - The player seems to have some bugs but a lot of potential.

Once I get my hands on a Time Capsule my computer purchases for '08 are done, I swear! I need to start spending money on furniture and motorcycles instead :D
semi-fly wrote: here is my trusty 1.5 ghz PowerBook's current Desktop...

how's leopard running on the g4? my main laptop is 12'' g4/1.5 but i still run panther on it... another g4 pbook user here reported that so far is ok...

RageX wrote: iPartition - Definitely worth the $$$. Can non-destructively resize bootcamp partitions...

i must be one of the very first iDefrag/iPartition buyers (not wise - i know) and in its early days it used to funk up things quite a lot, the latest releases + 10.4.x seem to be ok... did u notice anything funny running it on 10.5.x...?
RageX wrote: I'll add a couple to the list of must-haves:

Thanks for adding to the list! Here are a few more (maybe not all "must haves", but all are handy) from my Apps & Utilities folders.

• coconutBattery - great battery monitoring tool
  • CSSEdit - useful for quick CSS edits
  • DiskWarrior - Excellent disk directory repair tool
  • Documents To Go - MS Office & PDF document viewer/editor for my Palm Treo 700p
  • Emailchemy - handy for importing and exporting email among many different formats
  • Flickr Uploadr - self explanatory
  • Flip4Mac - WMV player for Mac
  • GraphicConverter - Awesome image tool
  • Interarchy - convenient gui front end to a lot of file transfer tools
  • iStumbler - wireless tool
  • iWork '08 - finally starting to get within shouting distance of the MS stuff, and, in some limited areas, better. I find myself starting to open Numbers now instead of Excel for new projects; graphing seems easier than in Office.
  • Leopard Cache Cleaner - very useful, but potentially dangerous, maintenance and troubleshooting tool.
  • Lineform - surprisingly simple, yet full featured $79 vector drawing tool. Hated it at first, then watched the tutorial videos on their website, now I'm a big fan.
  • Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office 2004 on the G4, Microsoft Office 2008 on the Intel - Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • OmniGraffle - pretty good diagramming tool.
  • OmniOutliner - pretty good outlining tool. Kind of like what More would be if it were still being developed.
  • OnyX - nice utility. Handy for kicking off cron'd maintenance scripts on laptops that aren't always powered on and other "clean up" tasks.
  • Opera - Alternative browser. I use it for one of my online personalities, Firefox for another, and Safari for a third. (Basically, it makes it possible to be logged into three different google/yahoo/whatever identities at the same time, so I can switch between work/family/hobby workspaces very easily.)
  • Picasa Web Albums Uploader
  • recorder.xhead - Ever want to use your laptop as a sound-activated voice recorder? This is the tool.
  • SiteSucker - a nice gui tool for mirroring sites, downloading files, etc.
  • Stuffit - for old time's sake
  • TechTool Pro - commercial disk repair and hardware diagnostic utility
  • Tidy Up! - convenient way to find and manipulate duplicate files
  • TNEF's Enough - lets you unpack those ^$*#$@# winmail.dat files you get from Outlook users
  • VMware Fusion and Parallels (I lean very slightly towards Parallels, but I have a pile of VMware VMs that I've put together over the years on other platforms)
  • Yep - "iPhoto for PDFs." Sort of.
josehill wrote: [*]Emailchemy - handy for importing and exporting email among many different formats

right on, it saved my day many times

josehill wrote: *]Interarchy - convenient gui front end to a lot of file transfer tools

best (s)ftp/webdav gui i ever tried, Transmit is ok but i do prefer Interarchy

also for any of you with a huge library of (real) books, Books is worth trying (it's the free equivalent of Booxter which will also archive music/images etc)
fu wrote:
semi-fly wrote: here is my trusty 1.5 ghz PowerBook's current Desktop...

how's leopard running on the g4? my main laptop is 12'' g4/1.5 but i still run panther on it... another g4 pbook user here reported that so far is ok...

Leopard runs extremely well on my PPC hardware, especially for general usage - Dock animation performance and Intel optimized applications are the most noticeable speed offenders.
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.