Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Building a retro PC x586 - Page 2

@uunix
do you have a C compiler for your OS/2 station ?
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
Yo man, 100Gbyte of ram is not enough, U wanna be hacker?cracker?, You think a Commodore 64 is really neato -
spiroyster wrote:
uunix wrote: I found this interesting looking CD ROM

I always thought it was some homage to a Friesian cow... Is a Friesian cow classified as Piebald? or is it just horses?

I can post you CD if you are a Gateway fanatic.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
ivelegacy wrote: @uunix
do you have a C compiler for your OS/2 station ?

I may have visual age in either my loft or the dreaded ex's

I'll have a mooch later.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Finally managed to get the old BIOS back in.. what a complicated menagerie of angulated tangents!

So back on course for the arrival tomorrow of my Sound Blaster!!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
2 GB for the hard drive is not too big for a Pentium 1... Hard drive sizes were highly variable in the mid-90's...

For Pentium 1 systems in 1995, hard drives between 420 MB and 1.6 GB were common. RAM at 8 MB and 16 MB was common. CD-ROM at 2x or 4x. Modems at 14.4k or 28.8k.

For Pentium 1 systems in 1996, hard drives between 1.0 GB and 2.5 GB were common. RAM at 8 MB to 32 MB was common. CD-ROM at 4x to 8x. Modems at 14.4k, 28.8k, or 33.6k.

These are the values that are very typical of that era for PC's shipped out and sent to the stores. Of course if you were building some PC workstation or server, you would use special components... But for something sold at the retail stores, this is really what they were selling for, and for good money.

At that time, 128 MB of RAM would have been exorbitant.

And for both these years, most home PC's shipped with Windows 95.
Debian GNU/Linux on a ThinkPad, running a simple setup with FVWM.
jwp wrote: And for both these years, most home PC's shipped with Windows 95.

Three cheers for Stanley Sporkin ! Hip hip, hooray ! hip hip, hooray ! hip hip, hooray !

Five or six more real judges like him and maybe there would still be a credible US.

Alas :(
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...
hamei wrote:
jwp wrote: And for both these years, most home PC's shipped with Windows 95.

Three cheers for Stanley Sporkin ! Hip hip, hooray ! hip hip, hooray ! hip hip, hooray !

Five or six more real judges like him and maybe there would still be a credible US.

Alas :(

I've missed you too.
Debian GNU/Linux on a ThinkPad, running a simple setup with FVWM.
jwp wrote: I've missed you too.

I didn't even know you were shooting at me :(
spiroyster wrote:
uunix wrote: I found this interesting looking CD ROM

I always thought it was some homage to a Friesian cow... Is a Friesian cow classified as Piebald? or is it just horses?

You have not seen enough gateway cow TV commercials in the 90s! They were the cow computer, the boxes were cow-print too, stacked to the ceiling in the computer stores of the 90s. An iconic computer advertisement as the Dell "duuude" or the apple white dancing silhouettes. :D

Thinkpad x220 Slack + DWM

Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
Brilliant lol..

Any how.. turns out my Sound blaster is not DOS compatible!! or it doesn't work..

Hey Ho £3.00.. lets hope the monitor for my Power5 is more successful.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Doom1 or DukeNuken3D can show you the Truth.
(or Commander Keen goodbye Galaxy )

they do support SoundBlaster, and they run under DOS
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
Yo man, 100Gbyte of ram is not enough, U wanna be hacker?cracker?, You think a Commodore 64 is really neato -
I'll have to read the entirety of this later.

I miss my old 586. It was an AMD k6-2 500, which I overclocked to a whopping 550mhz. I maxed it out at 512MB of RAM, and ran a 3dfx VooDoo 5 5500 video card. The system ran so hot, that I had a total of 9 fans. It sounded like a Hoover vaccuum cleaner when running.

I started building PC's as a teenager in the 90's. My first, personally built, PC was an old 8088. Followed by a 286sx. It all went downhill from there :D It was this 586 computer that got me into serious system building/modding. The best part was, it was an OEM Gateway turned into a Quake 3 frag monster! I almost miss changing CPU settings via dip-switches. Oh the nostalgia! Thank you! :)

-Aaron

PS - I have an old soundblaster card, with firewire, that I'd donate to this cause....if it would be helpful.
zagnut wrote: PS - I have an old soundblaster card, with firewire, that I'd donate to this cause....if it would be helpful.

Kind offer thanks, but I suspect with Firewire it may be not be DOS compatible?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Yo-ho, ms-dos Goldies , a db of games for DOS
Now I've just won an old IBM PC
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151760295197?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true
It has a 5 1/4 inch floppy, so I should be able to try out OS/2 1.x (or whatever it is I have on 5.25)
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
You need at least a 286 CPU to run OS/2 v1.x. You should have bought an AT, not an XT.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote: You need at least a 286 CPU to run OS/2 v1.x. You should have bought an AT, not an XT.

Pants!! :oops: ah well..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Good purchase, it seems you get a few good manuals included
I got a marvelous " IBM PC/AT technical manual " with schematics, piece of assembly lists about the BIOS, etc
I payed 30 euro just for this manual, so: good bargain !

I have here (somewhere) a CD plus 2 floppies 3.5", for OS/2 v2.1
but it requires an OLD CDROM (not Atapi) to be installed
the Mitsumi of my friend + Galaxy sound card (which has an old Mitsumi controller built-in) is OK for that

I have no interest in PCs hw, but I am moving all the DOS software I have
under Gemini (GuestPC-card/486-DX4@100Mhz) under RiscOS

something like
  • Turbo Pascal
  • Turbo Vision
  • Turbo Basic
  • Turbo Prolog
  • Turbo C
  • Microsoft Quick Basic
  • Microsoft Assembler
  • HexEdit + FED
  • Norton Commander
  • Procom Plus
  • Sierra C/MC68K (from MC68000 to MC68060 + CPU32)
  • Cougar BDMon (BDM hw debug, MC68332 MPUs)

Unfortunately DOS Games are not working under Gemini
  • Doom1 , too slow, troubles with the video card emulation
  • DukeNuken3D , simply too slow
  • CommanderKeen goodbye Galaxy , troubles with the sound, the kb sometimes hangs up

An RPI machine with FastDOS is definitively better for them.
and Jemini can't run OS/2, unfortunately
If your'e going to go for an actual oldschool PC (with DOS?) it I HAVE to suggest:
http://www.retrocityrampage.com/msdos_retail.php

I guess it also includes a prototype Windows 3.1 port haha.
Since this is all just for fun ... not sure if anything past DOS 3.1 is responsive on a straight-86 but HP New Wave is a lot less common than most anything else. And it was kinda cute.