Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

ZyXEL firewall/routers - Page 3

skywriter wrote:
Hamei it isn't even a little bit funny anymore.

Absolutely correct. It wasn't funny in the beginning and it's not funny now. It hasn't been funny ever since the insatiable greed, ignorance and egotism of the Hahvud Business School destroyed the United States.

And me, I spend a lot of time pickin' flowers up on Choctaw Ridge
And drop them in the muddy water off the Tallahatchie Bridge ...
No, I mean you being a jackass to me in my thread. The MBA/janitor stuff was funny.

DECUS Member 368596
SAQ wrote:
Take a look at Vyatta Community Edition (assuming it's still going to be around now that Brocade bought them). It's Linux-based, but set up for routing/firewalls.

Thanks, this looks like a candidate. I signed up to download the documentation -- at least there's plenty of it. Looks like the difference between the 'community' and 'subscription' release is mostly the lack of a GUI -- don't really care about that.

Think I'll load it on an old x86 PC to see how it handles the FDDI adapter. I could potentially run it in a VM but I don't like the idea that the whole network infrastructure would vanish if the server went down. If this makes me happy I'll buy some hardware to run it.

robespierre wrote:
most of the new Atom embedded boards do not have classic PCI and won't be able to host FDDI.

PCIe 1x to PCI risers exist, like this one: http://www.delock.com/produkte/F_377_PC ... kmale.html
I kind of like the Jetway NF9D-2700 . It has PCI (most Jetway Atom boards do), dual Gb ethernet, and you can add 3 more Gb interfaces with a (propriety) daughter card . It would take the original RAM of my MacBook and I could easily piece something together with dual-WAN, DMZ, LAN all at Gbit speeds, plus FDDI.

Sky, I think I'm looking for something else than you. Jump in if you think I'm hijacking your thread.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
skywriter wrote:
No, I mean you being a jackass to me in my thread.

Well dang me, bang me, better get a rope and hang me ...

Sky, your mom and I have been talking and I drew the short straw ... remember when you used to believe in the easter bunny ? And the great pumpkin ? Better sit down, son. Ready ?

No one owns the internet. Very few people own a crowd. Huey Long, Adolf Hitler, Martin Luther King could. Skywriter, maybe not so much :)

On the first page you got feedback from three people who had owned Zyxel products. Two of us had the routers and were not impressed. One owned the exact item you asked about, said it was okay but slow.

That's the feedback you asked for. Whether you liked it or not is a different question :)

The conversation then moved on to jan-jaap's situation. I know this will be a shock to you as a privileged-mode sort of fellow, but unfortunately we are not in Stepford. Some of us have lower-class minds and short attention spans. Sad but true. Normally I wouldn't want to burst your bubble like this but if you are going to go out in the world, you'll have to learn to deal with some people who don't know their place. Sorry :(
bye hamei

DECUS Member 368596
hamei wrote:
skywriter wrote: bye hamei

get up in de mornin', bacon foh you breakfass, sah ...

We used to be friends hamei, but you just turned into a jerk to me and treated me like everyone else you treat unfairly. I felt it had to be said after so many mail in requests for me to come back.

I came back one more post for a friend who adopted everything I had left sans SkyWriter. So dont feel like need to pile insult upon injury; I just don't care.

And just for the record the ZyXEL fire-wall routers are excellent and MODERN; anything else I would not delegate to the many relics folks suggested.

anyway bye for now, or forever, however it turns out; i'm happy.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: We used to be friends hamei, but you just turned into a jerk to me and treated me like everyone else you treat unfairly. I felt it had to be said after so many mail in requests for me to come back.

Hey Sky - why don't you stay, and I can go ? You're a lot more of a computer person than me and you were here first anyhow. I do not have a problem with that. The fact is, my world is gone anyhow so what's the point of dragging it out forever ?

hasta luego, muchacho :D
Who cares what the brand name is? If it works, then it works. If it proves to be reliable, then great. I've had cheap D-Link wireless routers for the last 8 years at least, and they never fail or let me down. I never do any maintenance on them or need to reset them.

The same goes for a lot of PC hardware. I've seen many servers that are nothing but old business PC's running Linux, and they may have uptimes measured in years. They just keep working, so there is nothing to change. But I guess maybe the people who are interested in "big iron" need to justify it somehow. "Yes, I need hotswap redundant power supplies in case one goes out on me, and I can't post to Nekochan anymore!"

p.s. Nobody needs to "go away." We just need to be more civil with one another.
Debian GNU/Linux on a ThinkPad, running a simple setup with FVWM.
hamei wrote:
skywriter wrote: We used to be friends hamei, but you just turned into a jerk to me and treated me like everyone else you treat unfairly. I felt it had to be said after so many mail in requests for me to come back.

Hey Sky - why don't you stay, and I can go ? You're a lot more of a computer person than me and you were here first anyhow. I do not have a problem with that. The fact is, my world is gone anyhow so what's the point of dragging it out forever ?

chasta luego, muchacho :D
]

you do whatever you like, I have plenty of other pass times.

DECUS Member 368596
well since the moderators are in abstention; I deem this thread locked.
any further posting will be regarded as non-productive and subjected to discussion with the administrator.

DECUS Member 368596