Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Backup from a PC-XT to a recent media.

Well, since i'm out of ideas, i might as well ask here.

I have an old IBM 5150 with one 5 1/4 Floppy drive and one Miniscribe 30Mb RLL drive. That computer is actually working fine. Problem is, i have to find a way to get the data out and put it on a newer media, like an USB key, or CDROM.

First thing i tried was to plug the Adaptec ACB-2072 controller and the drive inside a Pentium3 computer that still had a ISA slot. Well, computer started, the drive initialized, but got no boot.... I tried to put the "bios disabled" jumper on the card, thinking it was interfering with the rest of the machine. Now it booted but the RLL drive did not appear in windows.

Now i'm a little bit stucked... One other thing i thought was that those very old cards could not work in a PCI system, so i was thinking of getting a machine in betweem the XT and the Pentium3, like a 386 or 486 that has only ISA slots, but still has the capacity to work with IDE drives.

Would that trick work? Or anyone have another idea i can try?

If you can, network the IBM and NFS or FTP the files over to the new computer. I've got a bunch of old 3COM ISA network cards if you need one.

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
Kermit!
A couple of other options to consider:
  • An Iomega Zip drive with parallel port interface?
  • Or, if you can find one, an 8bit ISA SCSI card (they do come up from time to time on ebay)?
  • Laplink with a null modem.
Like porter says Kermit or Zmodem or something of that nature. Assuming you have a terminal program and a serial cable to run between two machines. That's what I did when I finally put my Tandy 1000TL down back 97' I pushed all the files out this way over the modem up my shell account UCSD. Sure it's slow but it works.

-Mike
porter wrote:
Kermit!

DECNET!

Im gonna get some floppy cables this week-end and another 360K floppy drive and ill try that next week.

You should be able to use a Zip drive. I used one with my Epson Equity.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Interlink (from MS-DOS 6.22) runs fine on older versions of DOS, and I think it even runs on a PC 5150. With an interlink/laplink cable (essentially a "null modem" for the parallel interface), it is much faster than using a serial cable.

Black Cardinal wrote:
With an interlink/laplink cable (essentially a "null modem" for the parallel interface), it is much faster than using a serial cable.

Yes! Make sure you use a parallel cable rather than a serial cable with Laplink... That way it will go less unbearably slowly. :-)

Regards,
@ndy