Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Nekochan on D510MO - Page 2

hamei wrote:
Now we're all excited about running servers on an Atom ? I agree, it is cool, but why did SGI have to go tits-up then ?

Because it's not just the speed we're looking at here - it's the power requirement. SGI never offered systems that ran on a handful of watts.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
Because it's not just the speed we're looking at here - it's the power requirement. SGI never offered systems that ran on a handful of watts.

Oh sure. But they were a hell of a lot closer than they were by going Itanic. In fact I remember Alex Cousein going on at great length about power and heat efficiency. We were all being force-fed "gotta upgrade to 2 ghz ! 3 ghz ! 4 ghz !" when what people actually needed was small, cool, quiet, low power. And that's where MIPS was a winner.

I can't help but think that more foresight on management's part would have found this niche years ago. Intel didn't want to do this - they like selling the big $$ products. This is something driven by real demand, just like the netbooks. We're back to the dead horse but this move to Atoms ? It's neat. And it's exactly what Alex Cousein was pushing in 1998. This could have been MIPS.

Anyone know what heppened to him, btw ? Pretty nice guy.
hamei wrote:
I can't help but think that more foresight on management's part would have found this niche years ago. Intel didn't want to do this - they like selling the big $$ products. This is something driven by real demand, just like the netbooks. We're back to the dead horse but this move to Atoms ? It's neat. And it's exactly what Alex Cousein was pushing in 1998. This could have been MIPS.

Yep. They started to look at that before their latest bankruptcy - the SGI Molecule was a supercomputing design based on Atom 330 CPUs:

http://gizmodo.com/5091473/sgi-molecule ... wesomeness

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroo ... elvin.html

hamei wrote:
Anyone know what heppened to him, btw ? Pretty nice guy.

Don't know - hopefully something good though.

All Rights Reserved.
hamei wrote:
Anyone know what heppened to (Alexis Cousein), btw ? Pretty nice guy.

Last I heard, he was still with SGI in Belgium, believe it or not. By the way, if you're on LinkedIn, he has an active profile there.
I've updated the dmesg info in my previous post. This evening I enabled AHCI support and switched over to UFS ID labels, so I no longer need to edit /etc/fstab if the boot device name changes.

All Rights Reserved.
The hardware isn't all that's new:
Attachment:
neko-blog.jpg
neko-blog.jpg [ 81.45 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]
I hadn't seen a mention of the new look for the nekochan blog, so let me be the first to say nicely done.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
I hadn't seen a mention of the new look for the nekochan blog, so let me be the first to say nicely done.

Rip, you've been doin' the Time Warp again :P This is what's up now (even spiffier) :
hamei wrote:
Rip, you've been doin' the Time Warp again :P This is what's up now (even spiffier) :
:D I have been accused of livin' in a Time Warp, but I grabbed that screenshot this morning. What I *used* to see looked more like your post.

What browser are you using? The right scroll bar says Motif, but you snipped the business end off.

hamei has stale CSS - needs to force refresh or clear the cache :)

The update is due to moving to Movable Type 5; I didn't do much more than that. Thanks though :)

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
hamei has stale CSS - needs to force refresh or clear the cache :)

Oh no ! Stale CSS ... I'm so ashamed :oops:

I kinda liked the double vision effect, actually. Reminded me of free concerts in the park :)
Hey, if it works for ya that's cool - I don't mind if your CSS is stale :)

All Rights Reserved.
I picked up a D510MO yesterday at Fry's [they were down to 2], sadly they were out of the case I wanted. I decided to go with a Antec ISK 300-65, that means 2.5" drives but I figured the SATA bus and 7200RPM 2.5 will make it feel plenty zippy. [I'm only running ATA/100 right now]. Hopefully the other Fry's in town will have the case in stock. I have enough spare memory and drives around to give it a good testing before I go all the way and order up 4GB and 2x320GB drives. I post some pics of my rig when it's together.

-Mike
Sounds great, I'd love to see it when you get it set up!

Speaking of 2.5" drives, there are some interesting RAID chassis available that use the smaller drives and don't cost a bundle. I may look at playing around with something like that myself.

All Rights Reserved.
I just set up an Intel D945GCLF and have been very pleased with it. I used an Apex MI008 case , a 2GB DIMM and a PATA HD/DVD-RW. The only fan in the system is the 40mm unit that Intel puts on the chipset heatsink. The system runs cool and is nearly silent, the fan only being noticeable briefly after a cold start or for about 30 seconds when the system is awakened from power-saving mode.

It's running Leopard and has been very stable. The D945GCLF has a single Atom 230 processor. This version of the 230 does have hyper-threading, the activity monitor in Leopard shows it as a two-processor system.

Figured I should probably move this thread out of "Nekochan Net" :)

Great to hear you got the D954GCLF up and running! Did the MI-008 case wind up being the same internally as the Apex MI-100?

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
Great to hear you got the D954GCLF up and running!
Thanks! It's been running 24/7 since I set it up. Boots Leopard and awakens from sleep-mode noticeably faster than either of the G4s I have <dual 1GHz and single 1.5Ghz>.
nekonoko wrote:
Did the MI-008 case wind up being the same internally as the Apex MI-100?
Near as I can tell from the photos, identical. One standard sized optical drive bay <with a door that opens/closes as the DVD tray is extended/retracted>; two 3.5" bays, one just below the 5.25" bay<with external access via a cover plate so a removable media drive could be used >, the other 3.5" bay is a vertical mount located internally at the right rear. There are front mounted USB and audio connectors behind a small "push-to-open" door.

I picked up the Antec ISK300-65 yesterday and started fiddling with it today. You think after reading neko's note about running to fry's to get an 24pin power adapter I would have clued in. :) Nope sure enough I need about 2 more inches on the supplied internal power cable to reach the D510's power slot, and I have the 20pins and could use the 24pins. Trip to Radio Shack and hope they have it rather then the longer trip to fry's again. At least it's not raining [that start tomorrow I think]

-Mike

Opps silly me I just found the other +4 pins so I do have the right 24pin connector but alas it is still too short.
Did you manage to find an adapter?

The power supply that originally came with my MI-008 wound up failing while I was setting up the D954GCLF Hackintosh for my parents in the summer of 2008 (it poofed while attempting to move data from their old G5 iMac to the new machine). I was able to find a replacement power supply at a local mom & pop style computer shop in Bend, Oregon, but it was an older model without SATA power, suboptimal fan placement and of course, 20-pins.

So I did wind up buying a new supply when I went to Fry's rather than just an adapter, but the cost was under $30 (Coolmax CM-300). It has everything I could want on it as far as the number of connections and type, connection cable length and cooling fan placement and size (80mm on the underside, similar to the stock supply).

All Rights Reserved.
I went to Fry's today and found they only had 20pin extensions, instead I just ordered it off Newegg. Which means I have more waiting to do. :)

I do wish there was a 3rd sata connection so I could use a sata CD + 2 HD, oh well I like the fact that the board still has 2 serial headers and the parallel port.

-Mike
Yeah, for extra SATA ports I snagged a Norco 4618 off eBay to stuff in the PCI slot; gives me 4 eSATA ports with port replicator support.

http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php ... norco-4618

All Rights Reserved.