Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Pixar Image Computer

Hi !

Anyone familiar with the pixar image computer ?
Its was just a high end custom machine built out of apple macintosh parts motorola processors 68020.

The case is now the coolest thing about it.

which was followed by the NEXT computer.

The cool one from that decade was the symbolics graphics workstation.

sgiSteve
When in doubt, go higher. Real time realistic interactive graphics.

WANTED Cray CX-1 cheap
WTF, Steve. There isn't a single 68020 in it. I know, I have one.

By that logic, you might as well call the IRIS 3000 a Mac II, because both used a 16 MHz 68020!

Seriously. Calm down. The only thing the PIC, a Mac, and a NeXT have in common are Steve Jobs. Maybe you should try knowing something before posting.

FWIW the Symbolics was one of two original host systems for the PIC. The other was Sun-3. SGI and uVAX (QBUS) were added a little later.

Mine is a 4-slot P-II, but I don't have a host interface.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
Do you have a couple of pictures of inside and out you could share with us?
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Whoa! hit a nerve there. 8-)

Peace brother

sgiSteve

WANTED Cray CX-1 cheap
maxsleg wrote: Do you have a couple of pictures of inside and out you could share with us?

I spot one machine in a " junk shop" somewhere in the center of Athens, sunday i will pass to see it and i will take few pictures.
delta wrote: I spot one machine in a " junk shop" somewhere in the center of Athens, sunday i will pass to see it and i will take few pictures.

delta, whatever you do don't "pass it and take a few pictures." If it's cheap, grab it. There are people who will pay money ...
hamei wrote:
delta wrote: I spot one machine in a " junk shop" somewhere in the center of Athens, sunday i will pass to see it and i will take few pictures.

delta, whatever you do don't "pass it and take a few pictures." If it's cheap, grab it. There are people who will pay money ...

LOTS of money.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I don't consider $20 to be lots of money :-)

Those boxes w/o host interface and software are pretty much useless....
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
R-ten-K wrote: I don't consider $20 to be lots of money :-)

Let's put it on eBay and see if the ending price breaks $20 or not :D
Here are a few hasty snapshots I took right after getting it. I bought it as an empty chassis plus an assortment of spare boards. All the necessary parts are accounted for, but I'm not sure how they are configured for a four-slot chassis.

Apologies for the huge size and marginal quality.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
Neat. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Thanks for posting the pictures, very cool looking machine inside. Much more to it than I thought, my apoligies for earlier comments, sorry for jerking your chain ;) . Still a sharp looking enclosure. Mr. Jobs does a good job in producing innovative high design products. 8-)

sgiSteve

WANTED Cray CX-1 cheap
delta wrote:
maxsleg wrote: Do you have a couple of pictures of inside and out you could share with us?

I spot one machine in a " junk shop" somewhere in the center of Athens, sunday i will pass to see it and i will take few pictures.

Wow! do buy it. The case alone would probably we worth some. heck, I might be willing to pay for it, just for the look :)

kjaer: Thanks for the pictures, I've always wondered how they looked inside.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
how it look inside ok.... we know a bit now

but

how do this works ? and it can do ??
if i refer about what i read, it can do image compositing.... but no 3D(? or how)

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb