IRIX and Software

Problem with Flightgear

Has anybody loaded Flightgear as described on there site and still received an error like this, "unable to map soname libsgprops.so". Am I missing am library or do I need to point flightgear to this?

Thanks
Use the find command to see if the file exists on your system. When found it add the path to your LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH environment variable. If not send a mail to Eric.

I have create a neko_flightgear but my opionon is that it is not worth for release the package because the very poor performance. Or anyone know why my FUEL only runs the simulation with only 5fps?

regards
Joerg
AX wrote: Has anybody loaded Flightgear as described on there site and still received an error like this, "unable to map soname libsgprops.so". Am I missing am library or do I need to point flightgear to this?

It looks like an older binary of FlightGear is being found. I had one release in the past that used shared libraries but it's very hard to maintain so I switched back to static libraries.

You might want to to run 'which fgfs'
The binary should point to '/opt/FlightGear/bin/fgfs' then.

Erik
joerg wrote: I have create a neko_flightgear but my opionon is that it is not worth for release the package because the very poor performance. Or anyone know why my FUEL only runs the simulation with only 5fps?

FlightGear (like many OpenGL programs) uses features that the card supports. But this doesn't necessarily mean they are hardware accelerated. You could try to add one (or more) of the following options to your ~/.fgfsrc file:

http://www.a1.nl/~ehofman/fgfs/downloads/.fgfsrc

In your case I suspect one of the following:

--fog-fastest
--disable-specular-highlight
--disable-clouds3d

Erik
SkyBound wrote:
joerg wrote: I have create a neko_flightgear but my opionon is that it is not worth for release the package because the very poor performance. Or anyone know why my FUEL only runs the simulation with only 5fps?

FlightGear (like many OpenGL programs) uses features that the card supports. But this doesn't necessarily mean they are hardware accelerated. You could try to add one (or more) of the following options to your ~/.fgfsrc file:

http://www.a1.nl/~ehofman/fgfs/downloads/.fgfsrc

In your case I suspect one of the following:

--fog-fastest
--disable-clouds3d

Erik

I used every --disable-foo which found in ./runfgfs --help. But the gfx looking doesnt change for me. Also the FPS dont increased. Looking to osview or gr_osview i can see that the cpu have 40-60% idle time and also the GFX isnt on its limit.

When using --enable-wireframe all the menus comes unreadable. I'll test your build next week when moving home again to see if i make something wrong.

regards
Joerg
Well I reloaded everything and made sure there where no older versions of flightgear. Tried fgrun with same error. Next I tried straight fgfs which loaded and ran perfect. I was able to fly and even land but pretty choppy frame rates. I clicked the show fps in the view menu but nothing shows on the screen when flying. My system is an Octane2 425Mhz w/ 2 gigs of ram and V6 graphics. I will keep experimenting also trying the commands limiting graphics. Flightgear is a very nice simulator, hopefully we can figure out how to optimize on SGI machines to get better playability.

Thanks
Here ia a performance update. Citation II - San Fransisco AP - 2000' Alt - --Fog-fastest - default menu items, ie..view etc - avg 5 fps, cpu @ 45% - gfx @ 50-55% - memory @ 10% - These are usages per the system monitor. Over the Pacific Ocean I am getting 17 fps with moderate clouds. Sure wish I could get 17 fps over land - really like the sim!

JR
gr_osview is going to hurt performance if running simultaneously.
squeen wrote: gr_osview is going to hurt performance if running simultaneously.

Sure.. that was the reason for runing "osview -i 2" on commandline.

regards
Joerg
Point being though is that cpu, gfx and mem usage isn't high - pretty moderate actually.

JR
I compiled the 0.9.9 version of FlightGear this evening, but get this rather strange error at startup:

Code: Select all

X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  145 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request:  27 (X_GLXCreatePbuffer)
Serial number of failed request:  44
Current serial number in output stream:  47
Killed

I wouldn't have thought that my Octane would be overloaded by this...

Jeff Corbets
Odd, we're using the RenderTexture code that is also extensivelly tested outside the scope of FlightGear.

The easierst eay to get rid of the problem is to run "fgfs --disable-clouds3d".
It may be that it requires more texture RAM than available.

Erik
SkyBound wrote: Odd, we're using the RenderTexture code that is also extensivelly tested outside the scope of FlightGear.

The easierst eay to get rid of the problem is to run "fgfs --disable-clouds3d".
It may be that it requires more texture RAM than available.

Erik

Actually, I was using the following options to try to clear the problem without success:
--disable-clouds
--fog-disable
--disable-skyblend
--disable-textures

Will the --disable-clouds3d option do something the --disable-clouds option does not?

Thanks!
Jeff Corbets
FlightGear contains older 2d-clouds code (just a textured layer of quads) and 3d clouds that uses pbuffers and imposters et all.

--disable-clouds only disables 2d clouds
--disable-clouds3d disables the 3d clouds

Erik
I get the same error.

Done reading panel instruments
Loading stars from /usr/nekoware/share/FlightGear/data/Astro/stars
Loaded 850 stars
initializing cloud layers
texture =
texture =
texture =
texture =
texture =
texture =
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  145 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request:  27 (X_GLXCreatePbuffer)
Serial number of failed request:  44
Current serial number in output stream:  47

It does this no matter what I do. I put in an .fgfs file with:

--control=mouse
--browser-app=/usr/nekoware/bin/firefox
--disable-intro-music
--disable-random-objects
--disable-sound
--disable-hud-3d
--disable-clouds
--disable-clouds3d
--disable-real-weather-fetch
--disable-horizon-effect
--in-air
--disable-skyblend
--disable-textures
--timeofday=noon
--fog-fastest
--geometry=800x600
--visibility=10000.0
--fov=50

--prop:/sim/rendering/static-lod/detailed=500
--prop:/sim/rendering/static-lod/rough=5000
--prop:/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare=15000
--log-level=debug

But it still tries to process the clouds and crashes when it does.

I know it is reading the .fgfsrc file but it does not respect all of the options.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"