IRIX and Software

Upcoming IRIX 6.5.21 changes inst...

Hi all,

These are the release-notes for patch 5086, which i find quite interesting, to say the least. I found this while scourging for 6.5.21 info. Oh, and NO , i don't have the patch, if someone wants to ask me that :)

Code: Select all

1. Patch SG0005086 Release Note

This release note describes patch SG0005086 to IRIX
6.5/6.5SE and 6.5.1 to 6.5.20 inclusive.

This patch contains the IRIX 6.5.21 versions of the
installation tools inst, swmgr, showfiles and showprods.
Therefore, IRIX 6.5.21 itself will replace this patch.

If you are using the "live installation" method to upgrade
from any 6.5-based release prior to 6.5.21 to another from
6.5.21 onwards, you must first install this patch to enable
inst to handle certain additions to the format of the
distribution images.  If you have 6.5.21 installed on your
system, the required changes are already contained in inst.
Alternatively, a "miniroot install" will allow you to
install versions from 6.5.21 onwards without any patching.
You should be sure to use the miniroot contained in the
distribution to which you are upgrading.

This patch is also useful to install on any 6.5-based
release to take advantage of bug fixes made to the
installation tools (see below.)

So this means that live installing 6.5.21 from pre 6.5.21 IRIX is not possible without this patch. Hmmm, makes you wonder about what happens next....
Now I wonder.....
what 's changed? :)
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
Yeah!

I actually ran into that info while finding some stuff for 6.5.20. I thought it was kind of interesting.
So this means that live installing 6.5.21 from pre 6.5.21 IRIX is not possible without this patch. Hmmm, makes you wonder about what happens next....

While on the telephone with SGI tech support a couple of weeks ago, the rep told me that after 6.5.21, the -m and -f streams of IRIX are going to be combined into a single release. I don't know if this relates to this change but...

BTW - He didn't say this was a "big" secret and from the way he said it, it sounded like a good thing.

Joe
Hmm now that is interesting.
one you lock the target
two you bait the line
three you slowly spread the net
and four you catch the man

Front 242 Headhunter
What´s the current scheduled release date? Any news on that?
its out!!

What is live?
Could you provide a link to the patch, I'm not able to locate it.

Thanks.
chicago-joe wrote:

While on the telephone with SGI tech support a couple of weeks ago, the rep told me that after 6.5.21, the -m and -f streams of IRIX are going to be combined into a single release. I don't know if this relates to this change but...

Joe

This may be their answer to hobby users. Take the "merge f and m" thought in concert with the decision to only offer free downloads of IRIX 6.5.(n-4) without a support contract.

The pain has always been that if, like me, you have 6.5.13f, and you want all the new fixes in 6.5.20m, you have to lose 13 releases worth of features. Now if there is only one release stream, and users with no support contract can only download n-4, it means we will get the features, just a year late--better than the 5 year difference between 6.5.20m and 6.5.20f. (I don't know if new features _never_ creep over to the m stream, but this is a literal interpretation of the difference between m and f streams.)

This is all pure conjecture of course, and I reputiate it all.

Geof
do a search for 6.5.21 in downloads. I cant link because of java window...
Okay, can someone please clarify for me the need for two seperate streams? I know it's feature and maintenance, but why keep the two seperate?
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:
m: buxfix only release
f: new features and programs on top of the bugfixes

However, lots of f-features spilled over into the m-stream, hence SGI gave up on having two separate streams.
From the Late Breaking Caveats :

Important note: Patch 5086 is not required for a live install if you are running IRIX 6.5.20 and upgrading to IRIX 6.5.21.

I didn't have any problems with the live upgrade from 6.5.20m to 6.5.21m (without the patch)

gr, Martijn
Welcome Martijn (yet another SGI Dutchie) :)

Thanks for the info. I'll update this in the announcement page
dexter1 wrote: Welcome Martijn (yet another SGI Dutchie) :)

With the way things are going over here, I just might learn Dutch and join those ranks. The Netherlands are a sort of Mecha for hackers.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:
directedition wrote: With the way things are going over here, I just might learn Dutch and join those ranks. The Netherlands are a sort of Mecha for hackers.

Why won't America just annexe Dutchieland, so "All your 31337 H4X0r5 are belong to us"? :)

Save the coffeeshops though, it has an almost religious status over here (not in the last place, that you can buy Reefer in such a shop)

If in dire need for Reefer, the sentence: "Ik mot effe blowen, waar ken ik hash score ?" should suffice...
directedition wrote: With the way things are going over here, I just might learn Dutch and join those ranks. The Netherlands are a sort of Mecha for hackers.

Why learn Dutch??!! If you ask me, you can get anything done here in the Netherlands speaking English. Personally I think it would be better if we just all learned only English and forget about Dutch...
Shrek... we learn dutch for the same reason that we learn other languages. To enjoy the people´s culture more directly. And I can tell you at least 100 countries where English won´t get you very far... and if you don´t wanna go there, then it´s your own miss...
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
martijn wrote: Important note: Patch 5086 is not required for a live install if you are running IRIX 6.5.20 and upgrading to IRIX 6.5.21.

I didn't have any problems with the live upgrade from 6.5.20m to 6.5.21m (without the patch)

ohh I read this too late.

I just upgraded to 6.5.21 (in fact the rqsall is still requickstarting my Elfs and Goblins) but did use the patch.

It didn't complain when installing the patch. So I guess just installing it was safe :)
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?