IRIX and Software

Text editors.

vi and Nedit are my faves, but I was wondering what people use for general text editing and coding on Irix. vim? emacs? Other?
i hope this isn;t going to turn into yet another vi verses emacs thread they must account for over half of the theads on all forums around the world.

but yes i like vi if i am doing anything important if its just a quick script or a note i just use nano which is a pico clone with a few extras

Of course, vim has issues for me when running remotely...it just sits there. Anyone else have this issue.
I learned vi in a college unix class after I had been using linux for a few years. I like it because I know that it is on any system.

Stonent wrote:
I learned vi in a college unix class after I had been using linux for a few years. I like it because I know that it is on any system.

I aggree. One can pretty much jump on any Unix box and be sure that vi will be there.
Stonent wrote:

Same thing for me.
Well.... I´m quite comfortable with nedit´s syntax highlighting capabilities, but then it´s been ages since I seriously programmed. Does vi have extensible code highlighting? I need to write myself an OPL syntax highlighter sometime (Psion palmtop programming). For all things unicode I use yudit. It´s got a custom interface which is a bit of a pain sometimes, but it´s stable and let´s you write and save about every format under the sun. Especially try Armenian in emacs or vi.... it´s just not the same as in yudit... hehe.

I also feel like a major unachiever when I admit this, but I use Nedit. I like all the simple to use syntax highlighting, the search and replace is also fairly powerful, and the programmability of the macros and menus.
Nedit and joe my self.

I prefer not to use achiac editors that should have bitten the dust twenty or more years ago.

vi, on the other hand, just about rules. I've used nvi and vim from time to time (specifically, vim is great for syntax highlighting and long-line support), but no matter how you shake it -- it's an admins-editor. I have found nothing with the power and simplicity of it's regexp engine and command interface; where else can you search and conditionally replace using a regexp, on a specific subset of lines, without ever touching a mouse?

I am one with vi. Feel the vi-ness inherent in the universe, and you will know true power.
I agree with lisp on this one - time to move into the 21st century and use a proper visual editor.
Nedit gets my vote as well as Jedit - one Java base editor that can keep up with my typing (Ok, I don't type that fast and I have R10K and R12K based machines).
Has a great plugin system and huge number of features.

Nik.
If you like a java editor try Arachnophilia, it has automatic code beautifing for most programming languages, html and stuff like that.
http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/
And it's free :)

cool.. but how to use it?.. i followed the Java executable to sun website.. but no Irix Java executable there.. :\

any advice? am I missing anything?

thanks in advance

----
Irix has it's own java run time installed. I've ran .jar files before.

java -jar Arachnophilia.jar (i think)

You might even be able to just

chmod +x Arachnophilia.jar
and
./Arachnophilia.jar

For the latest version of Java go to the SGI site.
http://www.sgi.com/developers/devtools/ ... /java.html