IRIX and Software

xmess emulator - Page 2

It looks like this could be built with MIPSpro (for extra speed); the big error I found so far:

Code: Select all

cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../src -I../../src/arch/unix         -I../../src         -I../../src         -I../../src/drive         -I../../src/vdrive    -mips4 -O3 -OPT:Olimit=0 -c mon_parse.c
cc-1143 cc: ERROR File = /usr/include/alloca.h, Line = 39
Declaration is incompatible with "char *alloca()" (declared at line 41 of
"mon_parse.y").

void *alloca(unsigned int);

Removing #include <alloca.h> allows it to compile to the end, but naturally dies with undefined symbols.

CFLAGS=-mips4 -O3 -OPT:Olimit=0
CC=cc
CXX=CC
CXXFLAGS=-mips4 -O3 -OPT:Olimit=0

The same error occurs in 1.10 and 1.11.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Odd, I'm pretty sure it compiled flawlessly for me.

I shall investigate, and maybe take a look at the package maker.
--

lisa
Could just be me ... I've been having all kinds of issues under 6.5.20 with MIPSpro 7.3. It looks like I will need to get 7.4 in order to smooth things out or set up another machine with an older OS on it for compiling. OpenEXR is something I really want to compile that's apparently a victim of my OS/compiler combo.
All Rights Reserved.
I had issues with MIPS 7.4 under 6.5.19 but haven't tried it with 6.5.20 yet.
Currently i am testing a selfmade patch against issues in the VICE 1.11 code. Together with a CFLAGS setenv i believe i can compile VICE with MIPSPro 7.3.1.3 (IRIX 6.5.19) after all. The code is very incoherent, sometimes ANSI, sometimes POSIX, sometimes BSD. I heard from lisp that some parts go waaaaay back....
Getting back to compiling xmess/xmame 0.69.1, it seems that 0.68.1 already is affected with the 'bus error'.

Wich leaves me less patchfiles to sift through, although it still is 3 MB bzip2 compressed...

I have CVD tho and have compiled xmess with -g so i can trace out what's going on.

To be continued.
Thanks to guys at the xmame development list, the bus error on IRIX for xmame/xmess-0.69.1 has been found!

in src/mame.h they merged the wrong declaration for variable crc_only...

it should be: int crc_only;

instead of char.
dexter1 wrote: Thanks to guys at the xmame development list, the bus error on IRIX for xmame/xmess-0.69.1 has been found!

in src/mame.h they merged the wrong declaration for variable crc_only...

it should be: int crc_only;

instead of char.

Great work!

Any chance for new binaries? Since I *only* have 1.5GB RAM, I have to leave some parts unoptimized (-OPT:Olimit=10000) or run out of memory :(
All Rights Reserved.
Hm, i see what i can do this weekend. I'll have it definately by wednesday, so watch your FTP server over the weekend, neko.

After i finished construction in my house, i'll get on it :?
Hah! Too hot to do much construction anyway, so i cooked xmame and xmess and both are now on Neko's ftp server in incoming.

They are binaries from 0.69.1 and are baked -mips4 plus the -Ofast optimisation.

Neko, can you give them a spin, before making a tardist? I'm at home without a SGI on my desk yet...

Cheers
I'll give them a try this evening and report back. Thanks!
All Rights Reserved.
Hello, a few things I found, if anyone interested :

I've tried to compile xmess-0.69.1 this weekend with gcc on Irix 6.5.17, here are the results :

To avoid the bset standard definition at compile time, add
"-D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_COMPAT" to your CFLAGS.

To link, remove "-Wl,-s" in LD definition : there is no gnu ld for Irix.

To correct the first bus-error, patch src/unix/sysdep/rc.c :

--- rc.c.ori Sat May 24 21:36:36 2003
+++ rc.c Mon Jun 9 12:46:00 2003
@@ -57,6 +57,7 @@

static int rc_set_defaults(struct rc_option *option)
{
+#if 0
int i;

/* set the defaults */
@@ -71,6 +72,22 @@
option[i].priority))
return -1;
}
+#else
+ if ( option->type == rc_link ) {
+
+ if ( rc_set_defaults(option->dest) ) {
+ return -1 ;
+ }
+
+ } else if ( option->type
+ && option->deflt
+ && rc_set_option3( option,
+ option->deflt,
+ option->priority ) ) {
+
+ return -1;
+ }
+#endif

return 0;
}

I haven't done any other modification in the code, maybe I should look at this crc_only definition.

Now I've got another "Memory fault" later in the execution path, I guess there is more work to be done...

Fanch.
nekonoko wrote: I'll give them a try this evening and report back. Thanks!

Sorry for the wait -- busy weekend!

Here are the tardists for xmame/xmess 0.69.1:

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/xmame-0.69.1.tardist
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/xmess-0.69.1.tardist

I tested them quickly as I only have a couple of ROM files but everything seems okay.
All Rights Reserved.
hi there,
I installed many times xmame. but i neve had chance to get it running and watch my favourites coin up games... can ne1 tell me what i have to do after the tardist installation?... can be usefull to say that I also have a huge 3800+ ZIP file for my NT xmame?.. can i use it with SGI xmame?... how?

more easly.... how do i play xmame??? eheheheh

thanks in advance
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----
Isn't there a help option built into the xmame executable? Something to the effect of xmame --h maybe...

I imagine that you can extract the zip and fire up the roms just the same as any other platform. Works like that for the GB and NES emulator stuff.
Thanks for the Tardists Neko!

Sum][one, in order to play arcade machines with xmame you need a collection of roms each in a zipfile to play the arcade. For instance a rom file pacman.zip contains about ten pacman roms and to run it just type

xmame pacman

if all is well it will fire up pacman. press 5 for inserting coins and 1 or 2 for 1 or 2 player games

NES, SNES, 2600, Vectrex, C64, MSX and more are all handles by xmess. I myself am interested in vectrex, so my commandline looks like:

xmess vectrex -cart webwars.bin

To play the cartridge webwars on the vectrex system.
dexter1 wrote: Thanks for the Tardists Neko!

Sum][one, in order to play arcade machines with xmame you need a collection of roms each in a zipfile to play the arcade. For instance a rom file pacman.zip contains about ten pacman roms and to run it just type

xmame pacman

if all is well it will fire up pacman. press 5 for inserting coins and 1 or 2 for 1 or 2 player games

NES, SNES, 2600, Vectrex, C64, MSX and more are all handles by xmess. I myself am interested in vectrex, so my commandline looks like:

xmess vectrex -cart webwars.bin

To play the cartridge webwars on the vectrex system.

No problem! :)

Depending on where you have the ROM files, you may need to do something like the following:

xmame.x11 -rompath /usr/people/neko pacman

At least this is how I made it see the test ROM (which was in fact PacMan) :D
All Rights Reserved.
I found last night that $xmame -defaultgame romname starts the game.... :]

thanks for your help.... the fact is that i tought it were a X11 GUI interface like the Windoze .. and since default untarred (or tardistalled) xmame wont start cause of missing pacman (at least my clean installation)....

but now i got the point... so i have to set the game i want to play.. ther';s no browser like windows right?
----

:: jean-claude

:: mimgfx dot com

----
sum][one wrote: ther';s no browser like windows right?

Well not in the default package. There are several front ends out there for xmame you could try. Go to:

http://x.mame.net/

Click on "Links" on the left and it will take you to a rather large list of front ends that should do what you want.
All Rights Reserved.
Hmm, when I get some free time I'll have to play around a bit. I had 4,200 roms in my mame directory at one point (although I might have deleted it since).