IRIX and Software

installing IRIX 6.5.25 from scratch on Octane.

I read several posts about patch 5086, i.e.:

If one live-installs IRIX 6.5.21 on an Octane without applying patch 5086, it will kill the PROM, rendering you unable to boot the Octane anymore!

Question is:

Can I install 6.5.22, .23, .24 or .25 from scratch (newly formated disk) without worrying about these issues?

Thanks,
Jason
Please note that I forgot to mention that the Octane was running 6.5.19 before, therefore, it may have a prom = or older than 6.5.19.

Jason
5086 applies to swmgr installations, i.e. installations you're performing while the machine is up and running, logged as a user with privileges to install software... It doesn't apply to installations done by directly booting off the CDs, so you're OK...
unixmuseum wrote: 5086 applies to swmgr installations, i.e. installations you're performing while the machine is up and running, logged as a user with privileges to install software... It doesn't apply to installations done by directly booting off the CDs, so you're OK...

I assume this works for netinstalls too, right? Therefore I should be safe. Another question, after installation of 6.5.x (with x>=22) do I need to apply 5086, or does it comes with the base?
I've installed 6.5.25 yesterday on two Octanes, and I just needed the 6.5.25 discs plus the 6.5 Foundations, NFS, Dev.Foundation/Libraries.

No need for any patches since they 6.5.25 is the fresh install...
Great, thanks, that's all I needed to know...

Jason
New installing need base 6.5CDs: (Upgrade not need )

IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1
IRIX 6.5 Foundation 2

if install Development u need:
IDF -- IRIX Development Foundation
IDL -- IRIX Development Libraries

and NFS need:
ONC3/NFS Version 3 CD

and Networker MIB need MIB CD

if u just upgrade installed system, just need:

IRIX 6.5.X Overlay CDs and Application CDs

select all U I labled software compents, and will no conflict :D
That's no problem, I have stacks of irix distributions, I may have about 30 packs with each version from 6.5 to 6.5.25, and we're receiving 30 new packs of each release, most of them are getting thrown away tho.

Anyway, thanks, for some reasons, everytime I install irix, I get conflicts between java and whatever other java component, maybe I should not tell inst to install the application CD with the core.

Jason
Jason wrote: That's no problem, I have stacks of irix distributions, I may have about 30 packs with each version from 6.5 to 6.5.25, and we're receiving 30 new packs of each release, most of them are getting thrown away tho.

You may consider sending all the unneeded ones cod to me :D I once did something similiar sending several sets directly to the trash can ... after I learned that a lot of people are looking for them I could have kicked my own butt

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
Brombear wrote:
Jason wrote: That's no problem, I have stacks of irix distributions, I may have about 30 packs with each version from 6.5 to 6.5.25, and we're receiving 30 new packs of each release, most of them are getting thrown away tho.

You may consider sending all the unneeded ones cod to me :D I once did something similiar sending several sets directly to the trash can ... after I learned that a lot of people are looking for them I could have kicked my own butt

Matthias

Unfortunately they are the company's property, we are allowed to trash'em, but not sell/give them. In any case, I'm pretty sure everybody downloads them from support.sgi.com, no?

Jason
Jason wrote:
Brombear wrote:

Matthias

Unfortunately they are the company's property, we are allowed to trash'em, but not sell/give them. In any case, I'm pretty sure everybody downloads them from support.sgi.com, no?

Jason

It's a real hassle to turn them into bootable cds though (assuming one has a compatible cd writer to start with).

Cheers
barefoot wrote:
Jason wrote:
Brombear wrote:

Matthias

Jason

It's a real hassle to turn them into bootable cds though (assuming one has a compatible cd writer to start with).

Cheers

I usually find it faster to do netinstalls, no time spent reading the CDs, and inserting 10+ CDs in a particular order...

Jason
Jason wrote:
barefoot wrote:
Jason wrote:
Brombear wrote:

Matthias

Jason

Cheers

I usually find it faster to do netinstalls, no time spent reading the CDs, and inserting 10+ CDs in a particular order...

Jason

For people with no compatible network, the cds are much desired. I think the point brombear raised was that some people do find CDs valuable.

Cheers
barefoot
barefoot wrote: For people with no compatible network, the cds are much desired. I think the point brombear raised was that some people do find CDs valuable.

Yep, because if everything fails and you have a naked machine, finding a cdrom is easy ... besides that having original media in the cupboard makes me feel good :)

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
Hi,

I have a Octane running 6.5.24. I tried to upgrade to 6.5.25, but swmgr
hangs when reading install history. Is this a known issue or am I having
a corrupted install history?

/Muller