IRIX and Software

SARIEN: Sierra On-Line Adventure for IRIX

Hello to all,

could one of the compiler-profis please compile this.

http://sarien.sourceforge.net/index.html

I would love to see the old Sierra Adventures on my O2.

Thank you in advance :D
did you give SCUMMVM and older LucasArts games a try?
From loom, day of the tentacle, sam and max to monkey island 1+2, indiana jones... everything running fine on IRIX:
never played any of the scummvm games - any good? I sure did like space quest(s) though. Anyone ever played sierra's gold rush? Possibly my favorite.
Can it be really true that you like adventures and never played one from LucasArts? These games are totally addictive...

It´s too sad that the virtual machine for them (scummvm) can only run the older ones - the later, e. g. Full Throttle or (my very favourite) Grim Fandango have never been reached by anything in artistic quality - and will never be because their creator, genius Tim Schafer left LucasArts and has focused his work on Micro$%&§ XboX... even Full Throttle II, while officially announced and with previews already available then was cancelled.

I remember about the time I played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis I also gave Sierras Space Quest a try... oh boy, how ugly and boaring this was compared to what I already knew. I trashed it soon after.

I´d strongly recommend that you go close that knowledge gap asap - and travel with Manny Calavera and Glottis through a world so full of art deco buildings and cool jazz tunes that this alone would be well worth buying an old peecee... perhaps hide it in a cabinet and only access it via tightvnc in truecolor mode.
Yes, i know scummvm and it is great.

I have played Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 on my O2.

But now i would like to play the Kings Quest Adventures.

SO PLEASE... give me the SARIEN!!!
Great Manny Calavera!
Worth any penny I paid!

Marco/Sat
sorry for posting an image a bit _large_ but it´s the only one I managed to find locally.
At least it shows manni´s office building on an IRIX desktop...
Where does one buy/download additional games for scummvm? I've play Beneath a Steel Sky.
I have bought me a box with 10 LucasArts Adventures:

- Day of the Tentacle
- Monkey Island I
- Maniac Mansion
- Zak McKracken
- LOOM
- Monkey Island II
- Indiana Jones, Fate of Atlantis
- Indiana Jones, Last Crusade
- Sam & Max
- Indiana Jones, Desktop Adventures (will not run with SCUMMVM)

a lot of fun for your bucks.

Simon the Sorcerer was from eBay.
Cool, I'll have to poke around ebay! Thanks.
Does manni run fine?
On which hardware?
With sound?

Marco/Sat
Too sad (as said above) neither Manni nor Ben run on SCUMMVM/IRIX.
The posted pic is only a imgview window on an 4DWM desktop...
Thomas: I've got an old (oops... 0.7.0 is still current) version around for quite a while - doesn't run too good IMO.

http://www.tastensuppe.de/~gerhard/freeware/irix/6.5/

If you have esound and stuff like that installed (plus LD_LIBRARY_PATH and such correctly set up) it should run [1].

Gerhard

[1] Prefered installation location: /usr/local
edefault wrote:
Too sad (as said above) neither Manni nor Ben run on SCUMMVM/IRIX.

The posted pic is only a imgview window on an 4DWM desktop...

Have you tried residual?

residual.sourceforge.net

Requirement list seems IRIX friendly:

Code:
Required Libraries

* SDL 1.2.x

Optional Libraries

* MAD: MPEG Audio Decoder
* Ogg Vorbis
* FLAC: Free Lossless Audio Codec

1.4. On what platform does Residual run?

Residual should be able to be compiled on any SDL platform, with modifications.

Currently tested platforms include Win32 (Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP), Linux i386 and PPC, Mac OS X, AmigaOS 4.

Haven't tried to compile myself under IRIX yet.

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
Residual used to build and run fine on IRIX. Haven't tried it after the "recent" restructure though.
joostp wrote:
Residual used to build and run fine on IRIX. Haven't tried it after the "recent" restructure though.

Just tried the latest residual on my ubuntu 10.04 test system.
Runs fine, and seemed to save games ok. But when I tried to continue the next day by loading a saved game it coredumped.
Don't know if saving/loading games worked for you under IRIX, but at least in my configuration which would seem to be the most supported, it's just not ready for prime time.

Residual's wiki clearly warns:
Code:
Basic gameplay works, including cutscenes, but many features are either missing or unstable. Save/load support is incomplete. Crashes can and will occur. Don't report bugs. Residual is very alpha and we KNOW it doesn't work right.

I installed Grim Fandango under virtualbox. Installed DirectX 8.1 too. But GF keeps asking me to install DX 6. Seems like a dead end....

Has anyone tried installing on SoftWindows on IRIX?

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
Saving and loading never worked properly with Residual. The README and Wiki clearly states this, as you noticed.

What I meant with "runs fine" is that it runs just like it does on the "supported" platforms, and that there are no IRIX specific problems or difficulties building.

But yes, if you're after carefee playing Grim Fandango then Residual isn't what you want at the moment. You may want to give the Grim Fandango Launcher a try.