IRIX and Software

How do you install an IRIX overlay ?

Hello,

Probably IRIX 101 but I'm stuck.

I have downloaded the 6.5.22 overlays from SGI , how do I now install them over the top of my 6.5.15 installation ? I tried just pointing Software manager at them, but it comes up with a large list of conflicts .. most are about dev stuff which I don't care about yet, but some are about "incompatible" warnings and it asks me to remove things like the Tool chest etc.

Also if I wanted to do a boot from the tar files from SGI .. how ? Do I just burn them to CD ?

Thanks!

Mark
:Fuel:
You have to install Patch 5086 first because SGI have merged the m and f stream together in .22. You old inst/swmgr dont recognize the layout changes without the patch.

After that extract the content of all tgz file into on directory and run swmgr -f /to/that/dir

regards
Joerg
joerg wrote: You have to install Patch 5086 first because SGI have merged the m and f stream together in .22 .

Does that mean there's nothing called "f" or "m" version of, say, 6.5.30?
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
ramq wrote:
joerg wrote: You have to install Patch 5086 first because SGI have merged the m and f stream together in .22 .

Does that mean there's nothing called "f" or "m" version of, say, 6.5.30?

It is... but there is no different anymore. The naming doesnt change because some Software only is certified for a special stream. Check the relnotes for .21 or 22.

[o3k]:/ $ uname -Ra
IRIX64 o3k 6.5 6.5.30 m 07202013 IP35

regards
Joerg
strandedinnz wrote: I have downloaded the 6.5.22 overlays from SGI , how do I now install them over the top of my 6.5.15 installation

Unzip and then untar each of the overlay files' contents into one directory.

strandedinnz wrote: a large list of conflicts .. most are about dev stuff which I don't care about yet, but some are about "incompatible" warnings

The first time I overlayed from IRIX 6.5.7 to IRIX 6.5.22 I didn't have any Dev. CDs. The only CD I ended up needing was the 6.5.7 Foundation 1 CD in order to get something along the lines of: 32 bit and 64 bit standard libraries eoe.sw, everything else I removed.

Sorry to be vague about the specific file, it has been a while.
And as Joerg said, don't forget to install the 5086 patch and reboot. I forgot one time and felt like crying when my Indy didn't boot back up.
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield
I am running 6.5.21m currently; do I need to install patch 5086 before I try upgrading to 6.5.30? I've been sitting on these overlays for a while now because I'm a bit nervous about upgrading. I've got Maya and Shake and Photoshop and Illustrator all running perfectly and I do NOT want to bork it up! But we've been running 6.5.30 at work for ages, with no problems, so my worries are probably pointless eh? :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: I am running 6.5.21m currently; do I need to install patch 5086 before I try upgrading to 6.5.30?

According to the IRIX 6.5.30 Release Announcement , no:
Updated Inst program:
New installation features were used starting with IRIX 6.5.21 that necessitate an updated version of the Inst program. If you plan to install using the miniroot, then you may do so by the usual method. However, if you plan to upgrade by 'live' install and are running IRIX 6.5.19 or earlier, you must first install patch 5086.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Ahh .. the patch did the trick :-)

Thanks!

Mark
:Fuel:
hi. i am trying to update from 6.5 to 6.5.22 .

i installed the patch 5086. then, untar'd the 3 archives i downloaded from SGI , and then pointed software manager to the directory where i untar'd everything. but, i am still getting a lot of conflicts, 59 to be exact. there are all saying something like:

overlay product XYZ cannot be installed because of missing prerequisites base product XYZ

i am completely new to Irix, but i think i understand there are two parts: base and overlay.

so what i downloaded from SGI are 6.5.22 overlays but i don't have any bases so that is why i'm getting these conflicts? as strandedinnz mentioned, a lot of conflicts are for development libraries, headers, and binaries which i don't think we need since we are not compiling anything?

however, there are some conflicts that i would like resolved, like the installation of NFS and AutoFS support. and then there are a few things that sound like they should be resolved, like Software Manager Software.

so... how do i resolve those? do i need to buy certain cd's with 6.5.22 bases? please be as specific as you can for me. thanks so much.
scar wrote: how do i resolve those? do i need to buy certain cd's with 6.5.22 bases? please be as specific as you can for me. thanks so much.

Sounds like you need to get the IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1 and Foundation 2 discs, and possibly the NFS disc and perhaps an Application disc. The Foundation discs are probably enough, but the answer really depends on what is actually already installed.
Aren't there some inst commands to upgrade what is present without adding systems? I don't recall ever needing base disks for an update (although I usually do an "install all" rather than "install default")

As long as you aren't switching streams, wouldn't

Code: Select all

inst> keep *
inst> upgrade (or standard, not really sure here)
inst> go

work?
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ - you may be right, but I seem to remember running into problems with that approach somewhere along the way. It's possible that my memory is hazy, but I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if it's an issue of what's already installed. My old shop's "default" installation included a fair number of non-default selections and perhaps also deselections, so I'm wondering if maybe k *, i s / i u, etc. behaves in more complex ways in such cases.

I have an idea... :idea:
josehill wrote:
scar wrote: how do i resolve those? do i need to buy certain cd's with 6.5.22 bases? please be as specific as you can for me. thanks so much.

Sounds like you need to get the IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1 and Foundation 2 discs, and possibly the NFS disc and perhaps an Application disc. The Foundation discs are probably enough, but the answer really depends on what is actually already installed.

ok, then, how can i tell everyone what is already installed so i can get that answer? thanks.
scar wrote: ok, then, how can i tell everyone what is already installed so i can get that answer? thanks.

versions -I

...though it would probably just be simpler to get your hands on a full set of IRIX cds, as it would be a lot of work to try to comb through the list of software and figure out exactly where the problem lies.
josehill wrote:
scar wrote: ok, then, how can i tell everyone what is already installed so i can get that answer? thanks.

versions -I

...though it would probably just be simpler to get your hands on a full set of IRIX cds, as it would be a lot of work to try to comb through the list of software and figure out exactly where the problem lies.

ok thanks. so do you mean the original 6.5 cds, like this,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0332868552

?

i don't see the application disc though.... hmm, that's all i could find. do i have to order from SGI ?