IRIX and Software

archive.org -- SGI Software Library - Page 2

What would you do, if they (sgi) dropped you an email which read..

"Yole [username]
We watch the forum and you're a pretty cool guy.. here's a link to ALL the IRIX source code. You own it now."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: What would you do, if they (sgi) dropped you an email which read..

"Yole [username]
We watch the forum and you're a pretty cool guy.. here's a link to ALL the IRIX source code. You own it now."

I would try not to wake up too quickly from that dream.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
miod wrote:
uunix wrote: What would you do, if they (sgi) dropped you an email which read..

"Yole [username]

I would try not to wake up too quickly from that dream.

I would say "sweet!" like Napoleon Dynamite.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
The best parts of Irix, in particular the SMP code, are now in Linux. And, in theory anyway Eric Masson has the blessing of SGI to to port the Irix interactive desktop to Linux. So, all you Irix loving Linux haters, pppppttttttffffffhhhhh! :twisted:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: The best parts of Irix, in particular the SMP code, are now in Linux. And, in theory anyway Eric Masson has the blessing of SGI to to port the Irix interactive desktop to Linux. So, all you Irix loving Linux haters, pppppttttttffffffhhhhh! :twisted:

Buttttt. Linux is becoming less and less like UNIX and becoming more and more ruled by the whims of systemd. It's quite possible there won't be much UNIX left down the road.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
vishnu wrote: The best parts of Irix, in particular the SMP code, are now in Linux. And, in theory anyway Eric Masson has the blessing of SGI to to port the Irix interactive desktop to Linux. So, all you Irix loving Linux haters, pppppttttttffffffhhhhh! :twisted:

very true
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Krokodil wrote: Buttttt. Linux is becoming less and less like UNIX and becoming more and more ruled by the whims of systemd. It's quite possible there won't be much UNIX left down the road.

Slackware doesn't use systemd... :mrgreen:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: Slackware doesn't use systemd... :mrgreen:

My first Linux system in '93 </misty-eyed>
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
dexter1 wrote:

DITTO .. I think it either came on the front of a magazine or I bought it from a Computer Fair..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote:
dexter1 wrote:

DITTO .. I think it either came on the front of a magazine or I bought it from a Computer Fair..

I got it on 50 floppies from one of the IT guys at work. I was like, how do I install these and he said one of the disks had a README that explained it... :lol:
Project:
Plan:

LOL. I'm starting to get why a colleague recently added systemd to the list of interview items/questions he uses to filter out candidates for IT positions.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
dexter1 wrote:

It's yet to be seen how long that will last. It might not ever get systemd, but Slackware is a candidate for the Dead Pool.
:Octane2: Octane2 - (Algogulf) - R14K - 2x600MHZ - 2.5GB RAM - V12
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30 - Long Term Layup
Krokodil wrote:
dexter1 wrote:

It's yet to be seen how long that will last. It might not ever get systemd, but Slackware is a candidate for the Dead Pool.

It might not have the market share it once had ( *cough* 100 percent *cough* stick that up your Ubuntu and smoke it!) but I would argue that the upcoming release of 14.2 is as up-to-date as any of the currently popular distributions, which have whole giant companies behind them (mucking up the works). :lol:
Project:
Plan:

robespierre wrote: Archive.Org seems to skate under the Fair Use defense for everything that they do. Mirroring web pages without prior permission is not sanctioned by the copyright laws either.
They have a project to upload and share every CD-ROM ever published.

It would be nice if they would get 6.5.30 up.... I'm missing a couple, and one is scratched (my youngest son used to think CD's were playthings to throw, and while I did let him sail some 8 inch floppies that had nothing useful on them, he decided that Daddy's box with those 8 inch floppies was just full of toys..... ). I have a 6.5.24 overlay set on the way from an eBay seller, but was hoping to get up to 6.5.30; and the eBay sellers who want $425 or $700 for a set..... well, I can't swing that. Oh well, it is what it is.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
rosmaniac wrote: ...I have a 6.5.24 overlay set on the way from an eBay seller, but was hoping to get up to 6.5.30; and the eBay sellers who want $425 or $700 for a set..... well, I can't swing that. Oh well, it is what it is.

Well, you could always be bold, daring and reckless, and fill this out clicking "other" and asking for 6.5.30. Personally, I'd be more than a little interested in their response. If they say "no we won't sell it to you" it basically amounts to carde blanche to find it anywhere you possibly can in the wild. Of course, then (according to the letter of the law) you have to contact them again and ask to buy license to actually use it. Once again I'd be interested in their response. If they say "no we won't sell you a license...." :twisted:
Project:
Plan:

FWIW, I decided to stick with 6.5.22, which overlays I have from my Supportfolio download long ago, to go with the 6.5.19 CD set (AWE set) I also bought, long ago.

It would be interesting to see if someone was successful in doing a scratch install with only what is up on archive.org. I may try that myself on my I2/R10K, once I find another drive that will work in it.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
I've been wanting to install the developer tools on my O2 running 6.5.

They seem to have 6.5 developer foundation and developer library images, and one called the "MIPSPro all-compiler" image. Is that what I would need, and has anyone tried to install from the archive.org images before?

Thanks!
FWIW, I got in touch with "Sketch the Cow" who is uploading those SGI disc images to archive.org. He indicated that he would love to get more uploads and can provide an archive.org FTP account for anyone with "a ton" of stuff to upload.

PM me if you would like his email address. He seems to take a while to reply to emails, but be an overall good guy.
SGI may not care, but that does not mean that SGI's licensors will not care. Best to tread carefully and slowly, and not "tickle the tiger's tail" or some similar phrase that came up at one point.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
More likely they would say, "what is IRIX", followed by, "do you have a support agreement?"