IRIX and Software

Last IRIX release showing photo of an actual computer in System Manager

Anyone remember which was the last IRIX release presenting photo of a computer it runs on in System Manager?

5.3 definitely did this:
Maybe 6.2 too?

I know that at least with 6.5.0 it started to look boring:

Thanks for the answer!
I think IRIX 6.3 introduced the 'new' System Manager. Which make 6.2 the last with the old one.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: I think IRIX 6.3 introduced the 'new' System Manager. Which make 6.2 the last with the old one.

I think the graphics of the newer system manager also changed about 6.5.15 ? Originally it was sort of a Victorian look, then it went more colorful and less formal. But they didn't change anything else to match, so the interface became sort of a mish-mash :(
The time has come for someone to put his foot down ...
hamei wrote: I think the graphics of the newer system manager also changed about 6.5.15 ? Originally it was sort of a Victorian look, then it went more colorful and less formal. But they didn't change anything else to match, so the interface became sort of a mish-mash :(

I think under the hood it's just an HTML widget, so changing the look probably wasn't too hard

Originally it looked like this: http://www.sgistuff.net/software/irixin ... 5-img3.gif
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Gotta love the backwards "y" - probably the worst thing in the whole SGI font. What were they thinking? Yes, it "matches" the G better, but there's a big market difference between SGI and Toys R' Us.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
BTW, forgot that there was also a cool CPU dialog here :)
hamei wrote:
jan-jaap wrote: I think the graphics of the newer system manager also changed about 6.5.15 ?

Yep. Noticed this after 6.5.0 -> 6.5.22 update.
dukzcry wrote: Maybe 6.2 too?

yes, the one you're looking for has been introduced with irix 5 and shipped with 6.2 for the last time.

I know that at least with 6.5.0 it started to look boring:

yes the 6.5.0 system manager looks different but this screen shot doesn't show 6.5.0
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: but this screen shot doesn't show 6.5.0

Ok, replaced it with the screen provided by jan-jaap :)
SAQ wrote: Gotta love the backwards "y" - probably the worst thing in the whole SGI font. What were they thinking? Yes, it "matches" the G better, but there's a big market difference between SGI and Toys R' Us.

I'm not sure what makes you think the "y" is backwards...?
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
kjaer wrote:
SAQ wrote: Gotta love the backwards "y" - probably the worst thing in the whole SGI font. What were they thinking? Yes, it "matches" the G better, but there's a big market difference between SGI and Toys R' Us.

I'm not sure what makes you think the "y" is backwards...?

Don't have a SGI with me right now, but I'm pretty sure that in the "new new" System Manager with the "SGI font" (6.5.14+) the y in System has the tail pointing to the right.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: Don't have a SGI with me right now, but I'm pretty sure that in the "new new" System Manager with the "SGI font" (6.5.14+) the y in System has the tail pointing to the right.
I never noticed, but it looks like this:
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
Looks like they were trying to be clever and turn the Y into a rotated lambda?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
That's giving them too much credit... that was simply the "new corporate font" they commissioned from Ideo in 1999.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Ah.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
Yikes. I hadn't seen that before; that is indeed awful.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: