IRIX and Software

sgiquake

Does anyone remember if sgiquake ran well on mardigras octanes? I seem to have a problem where the fullscreen flashes cause massive slowdowns on odyssey, and the variable to disable it (gl_polyblend) makes it kill Xsgi when set to a value (0 or 1, same difference).

Nostalgic gameplay urge got me a sad face instead :-(

Q2 runs, but just not in fullscreen (tries to set the video mode which my LG flat panel doesn't like)

runs flawlessly on my machine
quake2 too, but no fullscreen either

Edit: nice, but the input latency is terrible, even with the fancy effects turned off, also the sky bugs.

What kind of hardware are you using (it worked pretty well in stereo, fullscreen at 1024x768 on a 400MHz V6 Octane)? Do you have consistent bugs with the sky, or only in specific places if you look exactly straight ahead?

The two main problems with darkplaces I currently know of are that the screen stays black on O2s, and that the stereo 3d projection is vomit inducing, since I can't fuse the weapon models.
canavan wrote:
What kind of hardware are you using (it worked pretty well in stereo, fullscreen at 1024x768 on a 400MHz V6 Octane)? Do you have consistent bugs with the sky, or only in specific places if you look exactly straight ahead?

The two main problems with darkplaces I currently know of are that the screen stays black on O2s, and that the stereo 3d projection is vomit inducing, since I can't fuse the weapon models.

It runs fine in 1920x1200 on my dual-300MHz R12k/V12 frankenoctane, the graphics are fast, it's just the input that seems to be falling behind. Having to anticipate where monsters will move is a bit of a chore.

The sky in the difficulty-choosing level was glitching pretty bad, torn textures and framerates dropped tremendously when it was in view. I just turned the sky off from there on.

I'd fire up a quad 1 GHz Tezro and run quake on it but I'm suposed to be coding.

R.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
Does the original sgiquake actually use OpenGL or it software only?

...And lots of other UNIX-like systems for which there is no icon.
Axatax wrote:
Does the original sgiquake actually use OpenGL or it software only?

There's a bunch of binaries in the original; quake.{sw,gl}{,.r10k,.o32}. In these, the sky works fine on odyssey. It's actually faster than the neko one, apart from the gl_polyblend thing.

Just installed the package Geoman linked to. On my dual R12K 300Mhz V6 (1280x1024@50Hz) it gives 50 FPS until you get near the sky or something makes the screen lighten, like a weapon or power up. When that happens it drops to 5 FPS. Also when you get to the room to pick which episode, looking straight at the torch between the two rooms makes it drop. The rest of the room is fine.
How well does quake.sw run on an Indy?

14fps, ooer.

Quote:
just maxes out at 60Hz in all but the silly resolution of 3840x1024.

Silly? That's exactly the sort of resolution InfiniteReality Onyx is meant to game at... :mrgreen: Tho I only was able to play at 2560x1024. And it's weird having the split in the middle of the viewport... *needs DG4-8

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
guardian452 wrote:
*needs DG4-8

Before you get too exited: those extra channels run at 800x600 max. But hook them up to beamers and you can create your own IMAX :D

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
The system comes with such combination files as 3@1280 x 1024_60.cmb :mrgreen: (and _72 Hz too) All outputs have DAC with at least 170 MHz pixel clock, the megapixel limitation is from having a limited number of RM boards in deskside chassis. (framebuffer bandwidth). With only 2 RMs (max deskside) running that combo antialiasing needs to be dropped to 4x (so-called "small pixels")...

You can also create, say, 1 1920x1080 HDTV output, and 7 640x480 vga outputs. Or anything in between. There's a memory limitation that can be overcome by adding more RMs and a bandwidth limitation that can be overcome by reducing the refresh rate.

You may be thinking of the MCO for RealityEngine.

*Channels 0 and 1 220M pix/sec, 2-7 170MP/sec.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
Ah, alright, I thought the extra channels were more limited in bandwidth. Found this in the IR tech report:

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
What kind of setup did the "quake cave" use? Google is not being helpful...
astouffer wrote:
What kind of setup did the "quake cave" use? Google is not being helpful...

Posted this back in 2007 , so not all of the links are still alive, but the Paul Rajlich's Cave Quake info site still works via a redirect. There's some Linux/IRIX cave performance comparisons discussed in this 2009 nekochan thread .

For those leery of blind web links, here's a linked preview of one of the images on the site (Cave Quake runs on an Onyx2):

If you happen to have a Cave at your disposal, there's a pre-complied IRIX binary of the cave version of Quake in the Download section, as well as an (IRIX) binary for those without cave hardware.

And if you don't happen to have the necessary IRIX hardware, there's always Cave Quake III.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *