IRIX and Software

Dina problem - Page 1

I'm trying to run Dina to install irix. I'm booting it on virtualboxOSE (host is linux). but it wont start graphics(instructions) from the Dina menu on BSD.
IIRC, it complains: xhost cant open display ""
during boot or something similar.
I've got only 512Mb RAM for guest.

should I install vmware?

Does virtualbox have any tools to go through a VMware image and correct any driver discrepancies ? I assume X is trying to start up the VMware X driver and failing cause it might not be compatible enough.

I converted the DINA image to a Parallels guest with not much fuss ... but since made my own Dina-a-like setup on a MIPs based Qube2 which can boot IRIX easily enough. Not as fancy but getting there :-)

Mark

Mark

Sorry, if this is out topic, but: -can a Qube2 boot/run IRIX? This is new to me, and I'm curious. All the best,
Diego

strandedinnz wrote:
but since made my own Dina-a-like setup on a MIPs based Qube2 which can boot IRIX easily enough. Not as fancy but getting there :-)

Mark

Sorry, if this is out topic, but: -can a Qube2 boot/run IRIX? This is new to me, and I'm curious. All the best,
Diego

No it can't but you can download vmware player from vmware's site for free.

Diego

No it can't but you can download vmware player from vmware's site for free.

Oh, well, I see. Sorry if it was a silly question; it already seemed to me very weird, since despite the fact that both were MIPS platforms, IRIX is very tied to the adjacent hardware. But good to know it anyway. Thanks!

Oh, well, I see. Sorry if it was a silly question; it already seemed to me very weird, since despite the fact that both were MIPS platforms, IRIX is very tied to the adjacent hardware. But good to know it anyway. Thanks!

Yes they are both MIPS however the implementations are different so it is not compatible.

but the problem is I can't mount irix .iso disks in linux.
('wrong fs type', used -t iso9660)

That is the wrong FS type :)
IRIX CD's use EFS.
GeneratriX wrote:
strandedinnz wrote:
but since made my own Dina-a-like setup on a MIPs based Qube2 which can boot IRIX easily enough. Not as fancy but getting there :-)

Mark

Diego

Doh! Sorry, I wrote that line a bit wrong .. I meant to say "but since made my own Dina-alike setup based on a MIPs based Qube2 which SGI machines can net-boot from."

Makes more sense like that ... would be nice if it was possible for IRIX to install on it :-)

Mark

Makes more sense like that ... would be nice if it was possible for IRIX to install on it :-)

Mark

Thanks Mark, it broken my head a bit for a while! :)
But yes, I supposed you referred to net-booting. Anyway, don't worry... you know... my english is still pretty poor... :D

managed to copy foundation1,2 and applications to suitable shared Dina directories
copied 'installation tools' to irix/6.5/1/ (?what else?)

the problem is that indy2 doesn't 'see' installation.
I connected indy2 and PC with a switch. the LED shows only 10Mbit on indy2 RJ45 port.
(should I use AUI transceiver?)

tried various IP addresses, but couldn't ping indy2.
PC is running Debian and has no firewall that I know of.

Hard to say what the problem is here.
If you followed the instructions in the documentation and boots from the Installation_overlays1 CD it will try to find the SA file from the Installation_overlays1/dist
Make sure you have a SA file in this folder, it 18MB large in IRIX 6.5.x
I guess you are trying to boot IRIX 6.5?
In 6.3 the SA is stored elsewere so you have to give a different commend to boot from earlier IRIX version.

//Harry

Hi have you tried the silly things first ?

1) Can the Virtual box hosted Dina be contacted by another computer on the LAN ?
If you have no other machine other than the SGI, can dina ping out to http://www.google.com ?

2) You''ve configured dina with an IP address yes ?

3) And turned off your existing DHCP server .. probably installed in your internet router ? (Dina is a DHCP server as well and you can't have 2 on the same LAN, and I think this is your problem)

4) Have you read : http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/netboot.html
a huge mine of information!

Assuming your dina guest can get out onto the LAN and you're sure people on the LAN can talk to it and any other DHCP server on the LAN is switched off, try :

1) Enter Maintenance and get to the Command monitor
2) Enter : setenv netaddr <IPaddressyouwantyourINDY2tohave>
3) Enter : boot -f bootp()<IPaddressofDina>:/irix/6.5/1/stand/fx.ARCS --x
That will hopefully get you to the disk partitioning phase
4) Exit out once you have done any disk stuff
5) Enter Maintenace and get to Command monitor
6) Click 2. Install System Software
7) Enter the IP address of the dina box as the Remote host
8 ) Enter "/irix/6.5/1/dist" as the remote directory
9) click the enter/go button :-)

Does that do anything ? You can always jump straight to step 5 if you don;t want to repartition the disk.

And also read : http://se.mirror.nekoware.net/SGI_relat ... ation.html
I used a combination fo that page and Ians site to learn how to do it.

Good luck!

Mark

2) yes, ofc
3) no, my router has dhcp and its not turned off. but I typed in manually the IP in Dina and Indigo2.

oooh sudden thought ... I'm thinking Dina might only netboot a server that it has seen broadcast it's MAC address out onto the LAN in a request to get an IP (from Dina), and that the TFTP session might get tied to that MAC address/IP address.

So try this ....

1) Disable DHCP on your home router
2) Do not assign an IP address to your indigo ... "unsetenv netaddr" ... or maybe clear things completely and resetenv ?
3) Then try : boot -f bootp()<IPaddressofDina>:/irix/6.5/1/stand/fx.ARCS --x
See if the fx program gets loaded.

Regards

Mark

oooh sudden thought ... I'm thinking Dina might only netboot a server that it has seen broadcast it's MAC address out onto the LAN in a request to get an IP (from Dina), and that the TFTP session might get tied to that MAC address/IP address.

You are absolutely correct Mark.
That is the way Dina is working and I will explain why.
When an SGI computer requests a netboot it first request an IP number from a BOOTP or DHCP server and once it get it will request the files to be transfered by TFTP.
There are three things that complicates this process.

1 When an SGI request an IP number it can send a "prefered" IP number to the BOOTP server.
The BOOTP server can honor this request or it can disregard it and give another IP number. If I remember correctly the boot sequence did not work if the bootp server didn't honor the request.
One way of ensuring this is to clear the "netaddr" environment variable as this holds the preferred IP. The SGI machine will store any BOOTP received IP in this variable so it will only be clear until the next netboot atempt.

2 The way the TFTP request work is really strange.
Instead of just asking the boot server directly for the file you have specified. It will send the TFP request string with server name (or IP) and path for the TFTP file to the BOOTP server.
Please note that this is no TFTP request.
This initial communication simply sends the String that it will later on use to make the TFTP request. This string is sent as part of the IP request to the BOOTP server.
The BOOTP server will then return the string back to the Client together with the IP number it has granted the client.
At this time the Client will set its IP number and then make a regular TFTP request to the server and to the path that it got from the BOOTP server.

So if the BOOTP server want to it can alter the TFTP string and point to a different server or to a different file. Now it actually never does this. It always returns the TFTP string unaltered, expect in one case, and that brings us to issue three.

3 The ISC DHCP server that is standard in NetBSD has a bug (feature??) that makes it blank out the TFTP string if it returns a IP number to a client that is not listed in its config files for hosts.
Now the listing of hosts with their MAC numbers and their corresponding IP addresses is purely optional. It is only used when you want to make sure that a specific computer gets a specific IP number in return from the DHCP server.
This is rarely used nowadays as you are normally only interested in getting any IP number from a DHCP server.
Well I guess TFTP isn't used that much any more as the ISC DHCP server clearly has a bug that alters (blanks) the TFTP string if it cant find a MAC and IP number for the client in it's config files.

So to solve this rather unfortunately chain of circumstances in the interoperability of an SGI client and an ISC DHCP server one could just simply add the MAC address of all ones SGI computers in the ISC config files and modify the netaddr variable in the SGI computer to match the given IP number but I didn't like that so I came up with a script that does that automatically.
For this to work, the DHCP server has to be the one to decide what IP number the SGI computer must use.
Thats the reason why you must clear the netaddr variable. If you don't, the SGI computer thinks it can decide what IP number to use.

Quote:
1) Disable DHCP on your home router
2) Do not assign an IP address to your indigo ... "unsetenv netaddr" ... or maybe clear things completely and resetenv ?
3) Then try : boot -f bootp()<IPaddressofDina>:/irix/6.5/1/stand/fx.ARCS --x
See if the fx program gets loaded.

Regards

Mark

You are right again Mark.
As outlined in my documentation, this is the correct way to ensure that you can netboot from Dina to either run fx or the stand-alone shell.

//Harry

Cannot load network(0)bootp.../irix/6.5/1/dist/sa(sashARCS)
Problem reading file magic id, err 0 cnt -1
Cannot load network(0)bootp.../irix/6.5/1/dist/sa(sashARCS) -- execute format error
Unable to continue press enter for menu

Setting $netaddr to 10.0.1.170 (from server)
Obtaining /irix/6.5/1/stand/fx.ARCS from server
93664+

and that's it, couldn't wait for prompt. what is the fx command supposed to do?