IRIX and Software

Fun YouTube vid: Personal Iris 4D/20 G

Here's a fun 8-minute video of a 3rd-party Personal Iris system ("Bull?") running what appears to be Irix 3. It's narrated in French and showcases a lot of interesting old 3D demos.

I was struck by how well this 12.5MHz R2000 system ran the demos. And how loud it was!
ajerimez wrote:
I was struck by how well this 12.5MHz R2000 system ran the demos. And how loud it was!

I was struck by how queasy it made my stomach ! there should be some regulations about people with Parkinson's running video cameras ...
Nice!

It looked like the original PSU had been replaced with an ATX model.

-tgc

i have done this for a french old computer forum...

yes of course the psu is an atx, when i switch on this system the psu blown.... serious smoke !!
this system have spend some time in water... really !

the movie was done with my nokia N95, so it's not easy to do with one hand :D i do not have (for now) parkinson !!

i have plan to do other video with sgi hardware

Laurent

fzalfa wrote:
the movie was done with my nokia N95, so it's not easy to do with one hand :D

Ahh, that explains it ! In that case you're forgiven but next time, please use a camera ? And a tripod ? I thought I was having a flashback !
Ooooohh... very nice :D

PROTIP: set the camera shutter speed *slower* than the monitor refresh rate.

i start tomorow

Laurent

hamei wrote:
In that case you're forgiven but next time, please use a camera ? And a tripod ? I thought I was having a flashback !

A nice alternative to a tripod is a steadycam mount, especially if you're going to be moving the camera around the subject a lot. I'm planning on building one of the $14 "Poor Man's Steadicam" mounts myself in the not too distant future:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
A nice alternative to a tripod is a steadycam mount, especially if you're going to be moving the camera around the subject a lot. I'm planning on building one of the $14 "Poor Man's Steadicam" mounts myself in the not too distant future:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

Looks cute ... I think I'd use copper pipe and fittings instead of water pipe tho, just for appearance' sake. Lighter, too.

Or TIG one up out of aluminum tubing then anodize it black. That'd look spiffy.
hamei wrote:
Or TIG one up out of aluminum tubing then anodize it black. That'd look spiffy.

Yup. You can build one out of whatever you like, the important thing is to actually use it and eliminate those shakes :)

As for customization, I'm probably going to install foam rubber grips on mine - just need to find a place that sells them.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
As for customization, I'm probably going to install foam rubber grips on mine - just need to find a place that sells them.

Motorcycle shop ? I've seen a lot of different handlebar grips, even some soft squoogy ones. And they're built for bad weather, too. Hmm, googling shows some heated ones, good for shooting video when it's cold out. :D
ajerimez wrote:

quite true. my first SGI was a 4d/20 @ 12.5mhz. it had entry graphics but was really fast (at the time) on non textured programs like AC3D and demos. then i got a 4d/25 with turbo! woohoo!

If you are going to use water pipe, you could use pipe insulation for a hand grip.

You can find insulation, that is like foam rubber, and as it is meant to be used on water pipe it has the right diameter. Another plus point is that you can get everything from the same place.
theinonen wrote:
nekonoko wrote:

If you are going to use water pipe, you could use pipe insulation for a hand grip.

You can find insulation, that is like foam rubber, and as it is meant to be used on water pipe it has the right diameter. Another plus point is that you can get everything from the same place.

or you could be a man and hold onto COLD HARD STEEL :D

pipe insulation sounds like a good idea, I was about to suggest that actually. But if it's going to be so cold out that it would be a problem, you'd be better off with gloves anyway. Foam insulation doesn't last forever when you really handle it.