IRIX and Software

Remote Desktop Connection Between Windows XP & Irix 6.5.

Hello,
I am wondering if there is a remote desktop software from Windows XP side that could control Irix O.S. or the opposite, to a local network.
dir_marillion wrote: Hello,
I am wondering if there is a remote desktop software from Windows XP side that could control Irix O.S. or the opposite, to a local network.

For single apps or a desktop without a background and icons you can use normal X. (needs an xserver like exceed or win32.)

For a whole desktop setup an vncserver on your irix machine. But for controlling only a shell is needed. Keep in mind that IRIX is a unix like OS.

regards
Joerg
dir_marillion wrote: Hello,

If you are running 5.3, it might be a challenge to find a vncserver package that will work. For 5.3, it will be much easier to run an X Windows server on your PC.

There are a few free X Windows packages that will run on XP. You might want to try X-Deep/32 . Another good option would be Cygwin/X , but it might be a little more complex to set up. You might also take a look at MI/X which is simple, free to try, and $25 to buy.

VNC does have certain advantages, however, and it is easy to set up if you are running 6.2 or newer. You can download an older version of vnc for 6.2 from sgi.

You can get nice 6.5 versions of TightVNC either from nekoware or from the 6.5 repository at freeware.sgi.com . If the latter, be sure to read the release notes.

If it is 5.3, you might have more of a challenge. I'm not sure how easily you will find the vnc software -- you might need to get the source code and try to compile it (or convince someone else to try). :(

If you choose the VNC approach, I have had good luck with TightVNC running on XP.

Finally, as Joerg suggested, you can always just open a shell window on XP and connect via telnet (or use HyperTerminal via a serial connection).

Good luck!
talking about this ... maybe i'm OT .. but when i was on windows i was using Xdep/32... now my laptop have fedora.. and i was supposed to use Xnest... but i got black screen ... anyone have any idea why?

cheers
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----
joerg wrote: For single apps or a desktop without a background and icons you can use normal X. (needs an xserver like exceed or win32.)

If you edit the XDM configuration, you can get the whole desktop with desks + backgrounds + icons over regular X11.
sum][one wrote: now my laptop have fedora.. and i was supposed to use Xnest... but i got black screen ... anyone have any idea why?

Because Fedora sucks ass -- it's a bleeding edge beta. It uses X.org, whose Xnest binary is totally, completely broken. (Many things are broken in X.org;

Su to root, then run "X -query sgihostname", using the regular X binary to start the server on a different vty.
josehill, do you know something about the existence of "ported" tightvnc for mips3 ?
dir_marillion wrote: josehill, do you know something about the existence of "ported" tightvnc for mips3 ?

I think that the IRIX 6.2 version of vnc at SGI Freeware is mips3, but I'm not 100% certain, and I don't know if it will run under IRIX 5.3.
http://freeware.sgi.com/fw-6.2/index-by-alpha.html

Sorry I don't have any other info.
I found it, I will give it a try. The only sure is that I have remote desktop connection via Solaris 11 03/06 (at the logon screen). Let's try windows in the WeekEnd.

I will let you know.
Why don't just use XDMCP using a free X-Window server under Windows?
I use a nice one called Xming, thought it isn't developed any longer, it runs very well and is really easy to install and use.
deather, where I can find it to download it ? Is that plcae for downloading correct ? http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming
latest release 11/6/06
Yes it is. By the way, it seems a developer is still working on it. Nice to know!
pipeline wrote:
sum][one wrote: now my laptop have fedora.. and i was supposed to use Xnest... but i got black screen ... anyone have any idea why?

Because Fedora sucks ass -- it's a bleeding edge beta. It uses X.org, whose Xnest binary is totally, completely broken. (Many things are broken in X.org;

Su to root, then run "X -query sgihostname", using the regular X binary to start the server on a different vty.

hey thanks for your infos... sadly.. when i switch to the :1 X server (is it?).. i still get the black screen and the white cross cursor.... i wonder if now the problem is on the SGI side.....

any idea?

on the O2 ... giving the command $host +hellboy (my laptop) just stay there... doing nothing and not giving me the prompt with successflly added host...
----

:: jean-claude

:: mimgfx dot com

----
When establishing an XDMCP session, if the screen stays black, it means that the XDMCP server (on IRIX, it's xdm) isn't responding, probably because of a misconfiguration. I don't know how to configure it, mine was working out of the box when I got my Octane.
I didn't do it work on an O2 too.
I also do not understand what's going wrong with the Blank screen.
I will try again, TightVNC