SGI: Discussion

name your SGI? - Page 3

Just added a new member to the family.

:0300: + :0300: = Bahamut

As it grows, the resulting Origin (Onyx if I can get a G-brick/V-brick) will maintain the name Bahamut.

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Octane (IRIX): speedracer
MacBook Pro (win7): deneb
Old Sony Vaio notebook (win7): eridani
Rack-mount server PC (win2k8): antares

antares runs an AD domain for the house (and hosts a fileserver, mail, web, etc.) and all the other machines are joined to it. Even have an NFS server running on it for access by speedracer .

I actually can't believe that apparently no-one has used the scheme I've used - I always thought it unimaginative:

Indigo2 R10k - gaspode (second I2 still waiting for TLC...)
Octane (yet to be picked up...) - probably vimes
Various Suns - gytha, agnes, tiffany, shawn, angua
DEC VX40 - dibbler
Various Linux PCs - esme, perdita, verence, greebo, magrat, detritus, carrot, lu-tze, lily
OpenBSD firewall - lancre

Ring a bell with anybody? ;)

The exceptions:
Toshiba Libretto 110CT - frodo
The only Windows PC I currently have - sauron
Apple iMac DV G3/400 - legolas

Toshiba Libretto 110CT + even more PCs
Octane : Vacuum
O2 : Toaster

-- Pretty obvious isn't it? --

Powerbook : Obsoleet (because Steve said that PowerPC processors where obsolete)
PowerMac G5 : I don't remember
MacBook black : DarkBook
MacBook pro 13" : Dr0n

Qube 2 : No name yet
Raq 2 : No name yet

dual Opteron 246 : Behemoth
Celeron core2 1.6 Ghz : Adolf
C7 1.2 GHz : Morgoth
MSI Wind U100 : RadikalBook

Sparc Station 4 : no name yet
Ultra 5 : no name yet
Blade 100 : no name yet
Blade 2000 : AnalBlaster

Sgi : :Octane: :O2: :Indy: :Onyx:
SUN : 2 x Sparc Station 4 + Ultra 5 + Blade 100 + Blade 2000 + Chimera Sun pci
Other : Efika, Zaurus
iMac: xtroseimac
PC: xtrosepc
MacBook: xtrosemac
MacMini: g4mac (migrated from an eMac)
eMac: osxserv1
IBM Aracade: xtrosemame
Blade2500: star15
Work Mini: star12

HP B2600: Auriga
New member to the family.
R5K old-style skin O2: DemiVeemon

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
1. Pentium II 300MHz, 64MB RAM: too n00b back then to know anything about hostnames, quickly replaced with the second computer.
2. cruelty, Celeron 433MHz, 64MB RAM: named after I got my third PC. Still works. The Asus P2B-F is a sturdy motherboard.
3. chobit-1, Athlon XP 1800/2500, 1.5GB RAM: A Chobit is something that is way ahead of its time. Watch Chobits. My parents got it for me - and it really was the cream of the crop at the time. Still works.
4. ayanami, PowerBook G3 Lombard. Died.
5. athena-asamiya, VIA C3 933MHz, 256MB RAM: a really ugly laptop that got the chicks talking because the Tux penguin I glued onto the top was "cute" (I cut out its belly to make way for the logo holder)
6. ayanami-ii, Core 2 Duo T5500, 2GB RAM: The most powerful PC I own. An unbranded Compal GL31.
7. alpha-chobit, PAL PS3 60GB. Not really ahead of its time in all respects, but that's what the "alpha" is for.
8. saya, SGI Octane R12K 300MHz, 1GB RAM: When it first arrived it was called hulda. Wikipedia says it's a goddess of some sort, but I thought it sounded like an old woman, so I named it after Saya, because she has green hair.
9. motoko, PowerMac G5 dual 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM: Although it's powerful, chobits are special, so I simply named this one. Might change it later.
10. totoro, Sun Blade 100, 500MHz, 2GB RAM: the front plastic makes it look chubby and grey like Totoro. Plus it's pretty slow, which is the impression you get from Totoro.
11. monolith, 9114-275, 2x1.45GHz, 4GB RAM: If you don't break the plastic parts around it, it does a good job as an imposing noisy monolith.
12. unnamed, SGI Indy R5K 180MHz, 256MB RAM: haven't installed IRIX yet.
(sorry about the picture, it was dark in here and I was too lazy to clean up the clutter)
Attachment:
DSC09010.JPG
DSC09010.JPG [ 70.09 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]
Attachment:
aggrocrag.jpg
aggrocrag.jpg [ 26.84 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]
The resemblance is uncanny, no?

There's a good story behind this one to make up for the lack of silicon graphics. Back when I was in grade school we played guts in gym class. all the time. also dodgeball. (are kids still allowed to chuck hard rubber balls at each other or was that banned along with peanut butter and sugar pop?) The aggrocrag involved climbing a rope to the gym ceiling, a good 30-35 feet up, and honking this horn thing when you got to the top. I was damn quick going up, but scared to death of coming back down. :lol: Also, incredibly loud disco music such as village people, ohio players, earth wind fire, etc, was played.

So in a sense, you could say I climbed the aggrocrag. Too bad we never had any glowing pieces of awesomeness to take home. This makes up for it. Inside is dual opteron 290s, 16gb of ram, radeon x1900xtx, and a bunch of good stuff stuffed in the expansion slots (hp-ib, FC, sound board that works with the internal speaker and front headphone jack).

If you're not in your twenties, not from north america, or otherwise have no idea what I am talking about, try here: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/aggrocrag.html
Quote:
The Aggro Crag is a forty-foot tall mountain made up of spikes, steel girders, broken robot parts, volcanic rock and THE ESSENSE OF PURE EVIL.

Quote:
a really ugly laptop that got the chicks talking because the Tux penguin I glued onto the top was "cute" (I cut out its belly to make way for the logo holder)
lol that's awesome.

There's a good story behind this one to make up for the lack of silicon graphics. Back when I was in grade school we played guts in gym class. all the time. also dodgeball. (are kids still allowed to chuck hard rubber balls at each other or was that banned along with peanut butter and sugar pop?) [/quote]

Dodeball is still very much played, but they have these great balls now called "Rhinoballs" - they're the Nerf foam-rubber material on the inside with a fairly durable rubber/neoprene coat on the outside and don't cause any damage to living creatures.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
We got the rubber 4-square-balls-but-smaller that made fantastic POING! sounds when you nailed somebody. Stung like hell. No injuries, just a little extra incentive to not get hit, much better than the rhinoballs. They came later in high school, and were harder to throw because they were so light (unless you squeezed all the air out first)

Onyx2 IR3 = crunch
Onyx2 IR2 = junkyard
Octane2 R14k V12 = racer
Octane2 R14K V10 = pacer
SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB:= teego
SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact:=brick
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM = pippinavenger
Sun Blade 1000 900 Dual XVR1k = legoexcalibur
Apple 7100/66: lawcrawl

Some other win boxen with quad core XEON stuff. Called litterboxx, and foxden.

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000
I haven't named the Octanes as I'm still reinstalling and swapping bits around. But since I've used the domain crash.com since 1994, I tend to name infrastructure after UNIX signals.

io.crash.com (fileserver - SIGIO)
emt.crash.com (host for virtualized servers - SIGEMT = EMulator Trap)
segv.crash.com (colo box - SIGSEGV)
abort.crash.com (main desktop - SIGABRT)

Laptops get whatever name seems apropriate to them - black early 2008 MacBook is blackbook, etc. Vintage gear is often named by development or code name - VAX 4000 model 500 is omega.crash.com.

o2: urubamba (a little fast river in Peru)
octane: tezcatlipoca (powerful aztec god should protect my Octane's performance)
p4, main desktop: wankayu (just a town)
p3, fileserver (offline now): cuzco (a capital of everything in Tawantinsuyu)
p3, thinkpad notebook: potosi (just a little FreeBSD machine)
So far. -)