SGI: Discussion

Design Decisions for the Indigo 2 and Indy - Page 2

robespierre wrote: I have never seen another reference to the Mindshare Bundle anywhere, and according to Google it appears nowhere else. (Now it will appear here too, so goodbye Googlewhack.) Any ideas?

I've not heard of a bundle, but "Mindshare" was the old name of what most people know as the Outbox personal webserver.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Seeing as the thread is already resurrected.... if any of the original posters are reading, there is a short paper on the Indigo2 design, but mostly from a thermal/airflow perspective:
http://s3.mentor.com/public_documents/s ... tation.pdf
uunix wrote: If you designed a new SGI MIPS box, how would it look, and what colour would it be?

I think the next logical color is orange. A very refined and carful orange. The shape would have to be very compact and unique.

But we all know if you want to sell tech today its gold, rose gold, silver, and gray. A very dull time for tech.
Nate

:Octane2: :O2: :O2:
kramlq wrote: Seeing as the thread is already resurrected.... if any of the original posters are reading, there is a short paper on the Indigo2 design, but mostly from a thermal/airflow perspective:
http://s3.mentor.com/public_documents/s ... tation.pdf

Interesting thanks!

I wonder if the design from the marketing folks drove to ditch the unique Indigo design or the engineers decided it?
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL