SGI: Discussion

octane randomly freezes

Hi guys!

Here is a nice advertising rendering clip from an old PC manufacturer called MIRO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnUsvNont0

It looks not bad,with a excellent sounddesign.

My question, it looks like Babylon5 CGI, is this rendered with Lightwave?

I think its has a really cool renderdesign on some scenes! :)

Regards
It sure does look like it, especially the (very recognizable) stock ‘lens flare’ effect! Nice find, also the rest of that YouTube channel. Thanks for sharing once more!
:Tezro: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2:

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
hehe yeah that's lightwave. nice find indeed, saved it right away :D
I think, some scenes like in the tube, are very nice and its the typical Lightwave renderinglook! :)

Why don't show current games like this or like Babylon 5? :)
miro didn't make PCs, they started with PC graphics cards, and in cooperation with SGI, made a PC card with an R3000 on it: http://www.geekdot.com/index.php?page=miro-highrisc .
I have a dual 360 octane with dual SE cards, Xbow 1.4 and 512MB RAM (can't really post a hinv at the moment, the system is sitting at my desk at work but I can provide whatever info might be helpful). It seems to freeze randomly - there is nothing in the logs, and console is also dead. One time recently the screen froze with everything on screen looking normal - but moving the mouse, hitting the keyboard buttons did nothing - looked like a screenshot of my desktop frozen on the monitor! Other times the system is in screensaver mode and it just never "wakes up"

any ideas?
Perhaps it's overheating?

Disassemble it and clean the ventilation slots on the top, back, and near the middle of the machine (the latter are accessible once you've removed the motherboard and the graphics cards). You can also check if all the fans are running properly.
Does it respond to pings? If so, telnet in and try to identify (and kill) the offending process.

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
Does it respond to pings? If so, telnet in and try to identify (and kill) the offending process.

this can also mean that the graphics are freezing/crashing.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Mine likes to do that if another computer on the network goes down.

Here is CGi Game Intro made with Softimage 3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYWzDxEO8w
nice thanks. how do you know that it's made with softimage?
ha wiki ftw, thanks :D
Yes and it looks very nice and the sounddesign is realy cool! :)
Some of the sounds remind me from a sequence in the game LucasArts game Full Throttle (for PC). Very nice by the way, thanks for sharing.
:O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: | PREVIOUSLY ALSO: :O3200: :Tezro: :O2: :Indigo2: :rx2600: :rx2600: :rx2600: :zx6000: * :zx6000: *
(* HP Integrity rx2620 “Montecito”)

LOOKING FOR: SGI Indigo² Maximum IMPACT graphics board set, preferably with ≥1 × 4-Mbyte TRAM.