Hardware For Sale/Trade

For sale, "Bob"

Nothing to do with this but, I can't believe nekochan isn't all over this. It's got no bids !!11111!!! Probably just stolen from the Janitor's closet door who happened to be named Bob as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Silicon-Gra ... 1403920924
Don't even think about it :) I have been waiting for days....
:Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:
I wonder where the one with "Ed McMuffin" is...

http://www.engology.com/eng5clark.htm
Clark and McCracken fought bitterly and at one point Clark replaced the nameplate on the chief executive's door with one reading `Ed McMuffin'. It is said that Ed took three days to notice the switch. Clark quit and looked for something new. He was not poor, but he was a pauper compared to the guys who had bought his equity at fire-sale prices.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: I wonder where the one with "Ed McMuffin" is...

http://www.engology.com/eng5clark.htm
Clark and McCracken fought bitterly and at one point Clark replaced the nameplate on the chief executive's door with one reading `Ed McMuffin'. It is said that Ed took three days to notice the switch. Clark quit and looked for something new. He was not poor, but he was a pauper compared to the guys who had bought his equity at fire-sale prices.

Clark wrote about that in his book "Netscape Time," he said he changed the nameplate right after he'd hired McCracken and heard his little daughter mispronounce McCracken's name. But since McCracken had just been hired their well-publicized war had not yet started. Clark said McCracken appeared to be entirely devoid of any vestige of a sense of humor...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Did anyone here win this auction?

I've practically given up bidding on mirei's items. There's a group of 2-3 bidders that are able to outbid pretty much anyone else now, though I've definitely made them pay for a few of those items.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
I was down in the basement. I left my phone upstairs and missed the notification. Not sure if I would have gone that high though...
:Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:
Just think how cheap and easy it would be to counterfeit these :twisted:
astouffer wrote: Just think how cheap and easy it would be to counterfeit these :twisted:

How do you know the one that sold was real ?
hamei wrote:
astouffer wrote: Just think how cheap and easy it would be to counterfeit these :twisted:

How do you know the one that sold was real ?

I've bought enough odd SGI stuff off of that seller to have a reasonably good idea that she worked for SGI in the 1990's and accumulated a lot of corporate junk. I told her she'll make bank off of that stuff, but the vulture sellers that are outbidding everyone are something else. They're not relisting the items on eBay, either, so I have to wonder if they aren't former SGI employees or something.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
I was kind of interested in that 4D/70 product literature, but I'm not going to pay $70 for it .. that's more than I paid for my actual 4D/70 system ... Winning bidder seems to have a bidding history in Vintage Merchandise, not Computers & Networking (what you'd expect from the crowd on this board). Maybe there's a market for this kind of stuff regardless of the brand (SGI)?

I bought an unusual IRIX CD from this seller for a couple of bucks.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
One unusual brochure that sold recently called the 4D/85 the "Omni IRIS", never heard that one before.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicon-Graphic ... 1672985292

Also there was the "IRIS 4D/70 Hardware Specifications", which has descriptions of the G graphics system (identical to IRIS 3130 graphics), and other details.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Silicon-Gra ... 1354397945
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Silicon-Gra ... 1340550605
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
jan-jaap wrote: Maybe there's a market for this kind of stuff regardless of the brand ?

Where did I put that damned Pet Rock ? It's got to be here somewhere !
Yeah I saw that too. Same person won the 4D/70 leaflets also.

There's some info on the 4D/80 and 4D/85 on Gerhard Lenerz site: http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/system ... ional.html

I guess it's a single tower 'Diehard' chassis with the VME backplane of a Professional IRIS inside? It was introduced the same year (1988) as the PowerSeries, so it must have been quickly overtaken by the 4D/210GTX (also single CPU limit, but better specs) and the MP Power Series at the high end.

I have a couple of binders with similar brochures, technical reports and other artifacts (price lists, invoices, warranty contacts). Apparently Ian Mapleson has a good number of them as well. Since people apparently willing to pay big bucks for them, maybe we should scanning this material so that the information is available to computer hobbyists and not just collectors of vintage merch with fat wallets.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
well at least three pages of that TR are readable enough to transcribe from the photos ;)
I used to have a G, it's remarkably strange. 17 GE1.5s...
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Kumba wrote: Did anyone here win this auction?

I bought this and frankly was surprised I won. I have bid on many items from the seller but my max usually winds up being 80-90% less than the winning bid. I just wish my name was bob. :lol:
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2+: :Fuel: :O3x0: :A350: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: