Hardware For Sale/Trade

*** MaxIMPACT Graphics Boards *** - Page 1

I have a MaxIMPACT 3 board Graphics set from my Indigo2 for sale. This comes with the 4MB TRAM (Texture RAM) option.

This is the top-of-the-line graphics board for an Indigo machine.

I am not sure what the market value is on these, but, I see 2 of the popular sites have them priced at $800+++.

I am open to any reasonable offers...

http://www.mashek.com/SGIparts/Indigo2.php

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/part ... ml#INDIGO2
bitcpy wrote: I am not sure what the market value is on these, but, I see 2 of the popular sites have them priced at $800+++.

I have a 1980 VW Rabbit two-door that I could possibly let go for $ 150,000 USD.

Just sayin' ....
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
I got my indigo2 with the same graphics before few years for 40$.
These sites prices are not measuring actual pricing. If they were some of the folks here would be millionaires ;)
"Look on wife/girlfriends/parents face when you drag all this stuff(IRIS CRIMSON, ONYX, ONYX2, ORIGIN 2000 ,etc.) home.... Priceless! ;) "
:Tezro: :O3x02L: :Indy: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: Motorla Series 900(MVME197LE) , Atari TT030, Motorola Powerstack
I understand guys... I just tried to do some research before I posted so I could figure out the market value and post a fair asking price. When I saw the prices were so high, I ommitted pricing and just asked for offers.

I figured the real market value would reveal itself through offers.
Ian's 655UKP works out to be $40-$80 for the bare boards + the rest for having a guaranteed board in stock when you need it with top tier service and support.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I spent alot of time on Ian's site.. Lots of valuable information on there and he has communicated alot of information to me when I've been stuck. He gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Not trying to take business away from Ian.. Just want to sell off my Indigo2 parts and machine at a fair price to another enthusiast.

SAQ wrote: Ian's 655UKP works out to be $40-$80 for the bare boards + the rest for having a guaranteed board in stock when you need it with top tier service and support.
hamei wrote: Just sayin' ....

Just sayin' diddly IMO. Sorry hamei, but if something can sell for a good price, why should I or anyone else sell
it cheap just because a hobbyist wants it to be that way? The last Max set I sold when for 600 UKP. At the
same time, this says nothing about how much I can get them for, most recently a number of them for a fraction
of that, but this is the law of supply & demand. As I've said so many times before here, an item is only ever
worth what someone is willing to pay, and if you're happy for my SGI site to close then sure, I'll list stuff for
eBay pennies, give this up and do a 9/5 instead. Sheesh...

OTOH, that's not to say I don't give discounts for hobbyists, because I do that all the time. I include free stuff,
boost the spec of systems I sell without telling the buyer, or just knock a chunk off.

But it's the profit margin that pays the bills. My rent alone is 725 UKP/month.

Ian.
(07/Mar/2015) FREE! (collection only) 16x Sagitta 12-bay dual-channel U160 SCSI JBOD units.
Email, phone or PM for details, or see my forum post .
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
kokoboi writes:
> These sites prices are not measuring actual pricing. ...

Hogwash. :D

> ... If they were some of the folks here would be millionaires ;)

Not when one has to make a profit margin of at least 1K/month just to survive. For the love of the SGI world & my site, all
I've done for 7 fragging years is just about break even. Yeah, such a comfortable existence. My TV is still an ancient CRT.
Hardly luxury...

Ian.
SAQ wrote: Ian's 655UKP works out to be $40-$80 for the bare boards + the rest for having a guaranteed board in stock when you need it with top tier service and support.

Not quite as cheap as that. :D The last set I bought cost me $200, but yes for the rest. Most recent sale was to the Australian Airforce, for
one of their helicopter training sims. If they have any kind of problem with the gfx, I send out a replacement asap by Fedex at my own
expense, covered for several months. As if hobbyist sellers ever do anything like that. :D

Guys, get real. For many parts & systems these days, it's a very different world to what it was about 4 or 5 years ago when the supply of
SGI stuff was really good. Now there is basically squat available. Ebay is useless and the geneic hw brokers don't have anything anymore.
Even the dealers are having to pay a lot more for some things these days. Most recent dealer price I had for a 1327 mbd was $800! :D

Ian.
bitcpy wrote: I figured the real market value would reveal itself through offers.

There isn't any objective market value. It's entirely down to who is asking. Companies are happy to pay high prices for items because
that's the world in which they operate. Infact, some companies will not buy items from me if my prices are too low! Has that sunk
in hamei? If pricing is too low, it raises way too many internal questions with companies' accounts/purchasing depts. about why
the original price of a system is so huge compared to some replacement system/item price just received in a quote. I found out
that companies were not buying Indys from me because of this, my prices were just too low. Irony is, I had them cheap to help
out hobbyists, but hobbyists were more interested in O2, Fuel, Tezro, etc., so I was shooting myself in the foot twice ! It's takes
a long time to get one's head around the realities of buying & selling this sort of thing.

Years ago I bought a whole load of 12-bay dual-channel U160 SCSI units because I thought that type of thing would be very
useful for hobbyists, those fiddling with video, etc. Despite what IMO was a good price, I didn't sell any. The crazy part? The
crappy 9GB SCA disks in the units (almost 300 of them) sold like hot cakes! Used widely in medical systems. At first I sold the
disks for 10 each, then as time went by I upped the price a bit because I realised I could. Eventually with just a dozen left, I
sold them for 45 UKP each. :D You just never know what something is worth.

Ian.
mapesdhs wrote: Just sayin' diddly IMO. Sorry hamei, but if something can sell for a good price, why should I or anyone else sell
it cheap just because a hobbyist wants it to be that way?

Are you having a problem with reading comprehension, Ian ? can you point out where I said you were not entitled to try to sell whatever for whatever you want ? Can you even point to where I said bitcpy is not entitled to try to sell his MaxImpact setup for whatever he wants ?

And are you bitcpy ? He has the same experience, knowledge, warranty and support that you do ? If so, then he certainly should price his graphics cards the same as you.

You're a nice guy, Ian, but could you turn your brain on once in a while, please ?

btw, my rent is pretty high, too. So while I'd really like to give you a break on that Rabbit, it's just impossible. :(
hamei writes:
> Are you having a problem with reading comprehension, Ian? ...

Your comment led me to infer that you thougt a price of $800 was too high. If that wasn't your intent, then I've no idea what you meant.

> ... He has the same experience, knowledge, warranty and support that you do? ...

I haven't the slightest idea. I just tire of people moaning about how much someone asks for something. If ya don't like the price then
go somewhere else.

> If so, then he certainly should price his graphics cards the same as you.

I believe that was my point.

> You're a nice guy, Ian, but could you turn your brain on once in a while, please ?

Sure, if you stop using car analogies which make no sense. :}

Ian.
You're not doing yourself much good, Ian. While I am sure that Mr Bitcpy is a lovely person with a beautiful wife, three adorable children all on the honor roll and a dog cute as a button, if you bothered to spend even a short bit of time paying attention to the commuuuunity , you'd know that he is a beginner with SGI's. Absolutely nothing wrong with that but if you are saying a graphics card setup from a St Vincent de Paul's Indigo2 has the same value as one from you ... well ....
hamei wrote: ... but if you are saying a graphics card setup from a St Vincent de Paul's Indigo2 has the same value as one from you ... well ....

That's exactly what I'm not saying, yet at the same time it's exactly what I am saying. You seem confused. My point is, he's free to sell it for
whatever price he wishes - high, low, crazy, bargain, and a thousand levels inbetween. It's nobody's business to say any particular price is too
much or too little. It's just that every time someone offers something here and mentions sites like mine or a dealer, they get criticised and several
people say, "Hey, I bought that for 30 bucks X days/months/years ago, so get real." You should read your opening reply again, it certainly reads
critical to me. If that wasn't your intent, then what did you mean, because I still don't get it.

Ian.

PS. bitcpy, I've no idea how much you expected to get for your Max set, but try contacting the various SGI dealers, see what they say (B&B Solutions,
XSNet, MCE, Cordnet, 3D System Sales, etc.) Ya never know. If you can get in the $350+ range then you'd be doing well.
mapesdhs wrote:
hamei wrote: You should read your opening reply again, it certainly reads
critical to me. If that wasn't your intent, then what did you mean, because I still don't get it.

Ian.

hmm...i just can speak for myself but the analogy is obvious.

Code: Select all

hameis "I have a 1980 VW Rabbit two-door that I could possibly let go for $ 150,000 USD. " and  bitcpy's" am not sure what the market value is on these, but, I see 2 of the popular sites have them priced at $800+++."

concludes to

Code: Select all

who wants to pay more than 30 bucks for a crappy volkswagen or legacy hardware. both is obsolete from a serious point of view.
no plan
mapesdhs wrote:
kokoboi writes:
> These sites prices are not measuring actual pricing. ...

Hogwash. :D

> ... If they were some of the folks here would be millionaires ;)

Not when one has to make a profit margin of at least 1K/month just to survive. For the love of the SGI world & my site, all
I've done for 7 fragging years is just about break even. Yeah, such a comfortable existence. My TV is still an ancient CRT.
Hardly luxury...

Ian.

Did not mean to offend you. Just these prices are not for hobbyist :)

Did not mean to offend you. Just these prices are not for hobbyist :)

That's absolutely true. :D Don't worry, not offended at all.

For a fair number of items on my site, the prices are not remotely aimed at hobbyists. This includes PCI cages,
MaxIMPACT sets, mbds for O2, etc. While commercial demand for certain items rose rapidly in the last few
years, at the same time the demand from hobbyists dropped enormously. Very few hobbyists care now about
Indigo, Indy, Indigo2 or lesser Octanes, whereas commercial demand for specific Indy parts has gone way up,
though these days most Indy enquiries involve doing repair/upgrade jobs for industrial companies rather than
selling complete systems.

Thing is though, hobbyists by their nature vary. Last Nov I sold a quad-600MHz O300 to a hobbyist for my
normal price. Also last year, when I had pretty much run out of intact top lids for O2 and thus didn't want to
sell any more (I put the price up to 75 to discourage buyers), I still had a hobbyist happy to buy a top lid
for 75; that was a real surprise. A bit like the enthusiast PC space, some hobbyists do have higher budgets
and don't mind paying more.

Complete O2s are the main exception to everything though. I don't offer that much for them now because
100% of those from whom I bought O2s last year did not pack them properly, so they arrived damaged. The only
O2s I bought in 2012 which arrived intact were those for which I sent the seller my own packaging to use, with
wrapping instructions , etc.

I do have items I'd like to sell off cheap(er), and I'll list them on eBid when I can, or post here, but I often
don't have the time to sort them out. Indigo2 carry case, misc SGI PR items, numerous SCSI disks, 12-bay
SCSI units, 1600SW panels, R3K mbds and gfx boards for IRIS Indigo, empty Indigo cases, empty Octane
cases, original IRIX CD packs (I have more than 40 of these), external storage units, Origin/Onyx2 items, etc.
Never enough hours in the day...

Ian.
I just want to provide a little feedback on my own here. There is a difference between enthusiast community (ie. Nekochan) and commercial community (ie. eBay).

Whenever I am buying or selling a Vintage part/machine I always offer to buy or sell through the community in the hopes that other enthusiasts would either have a need for what I want to sell or can make a sale for something they want to get rid of. When I deal with the community the pricing and mentality is much different than the commercial side of things.

I think this is the debate that has been brewing here. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay and this is the mentality I take on the commercial side like eBay. On Nekochan, I offered up the part in the hopes that someone else might want it and wanted to make sure I sold it for a fair price. I usually leave the ads up on the community side for a while and if there is no sale, it goes on eBay with different pricing.

Case in point, the HP B2600 that I saved from being scrapped, I sold on eBay for $2,009. A week prior I was willing to trade that machine for some other parts with another enthusiast but the deal didnt go through.

-----------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice Ian. I appreciate it.

mapesdhs wrote:
PS. bitcpy, I've no idea how much you expected to get for your Max set, but try contacting the various SGI dealers, see what they say (B&B Solutions,
XSNet, MCE, Cordnet, 3D System Sales, etc.) Ya never know. If you can get in the $350+ range then you'd be doing well.
Do you guys recon most of the SGI stuff has gone to the tip now ? I know there was a period 8 - 10 years ago when there was tons on ebay, must of been companies getting rid of their old stuff. I know there are still a few systems lurking in companies now, I still see the odd Octane and Fuel used on a daily basis and it gives me a buzz to see them still running.

I have been looking for a Fuel myself on ebay but nothing as yet in the uk. I have had to satisfy myself with vintage PC workstation/3d graphics components which can still be had for buttons, although that stuff is starting to dry up now as well. Some PC stuff is now ultra rare and can command a good price if you are lucky.

Just wanted to say to Ian, you have done the right thing building up your stock of SGI stuff as it will only go up in value if you can keep people interested and educated. I know you do this through your website and it is interesting how the sales side of things and the futuretech website have come together as time goes on working in a kind of symbiosis. I am sure this wasn't your initial intention when creating the site.

Get what you can for the parts as I would do the same and one way of looking at it is they are still a load cheaper than what they cost new. As you said corporate buyers still running the stuff have oceans of money to spend on a spare part if needed and they really need to keep that old software running, more so than a hobbyist.
SGI_Ben writes:
> Do you guys recon most of the SGI stuff has gone to the tip now ? ...

Most of the SGI equipment was recycled & resold, not scrapped. Some companies did scrap stuff, including SGI, but from
what I've seen over the years the degree of reuse was pretty considerable.

> ... I know there are still a few systems lurking in companies now, I still see the odd Octane and Fuel used on a daily basis and it gives
> me a buzz to see them still running.

There are lots of SGIs still in use; hobbyists don't know about them because the ones still around are used for tasks unrelated to the
most familiar areas of 3D, animation, video, etc.

Most of the items I sell go to medical companies (SGIs used to control medical scanners) and textile manufacturers (SGIs used to control
knitting/printing machines, ie. STOLL/Sirix systems, etc.) Other uses are more unusual, such as O2s used to analyse IR/UV images of pig
carcasses in an abattoir, so that the the cutting tools make more precise cuts, reduce waste, improve quality , so farmers are paid a more
accurate price based on meat quality & quantity. Elsewhere, SGIs are still used for flight sim setups, in some cases driving the display
(eg. Onyx2) but more often for instrument displays or control systems (Indy, Indigo2, O2, etc.) I've been supplying the Australian Airforce
with spares & systems for many years.

> I have been looking for a Fuel myself on ebay but nothing as yet in the uk. ...

Alas I've almost run out of Fuels. All I have atm are a couple of 600MHz systems (one of which is a valuable original Alias/Maya setup)
and a 900MHz system, plus a few that have misc faults.

> I have had to satisfy myself with vintage PC workstation/3d graphics components which can still be had for buttons, although that stuff
> is starting to dry up now as well. Some PC stuff is now ultra rare and can command a good price if you are lucky.

If you're looking for any Quadro cards, I have loads to sell off.

> Just wanted to say to Ian, you have done the right thing building up your stock of SGI stuff as it will only go up in value if you can keep
> people interested and educated. ...

It varies up & down all the time. All it takes is for one particular industry sector to "move on" and suddenly everything shifts. This happened
a long time ago for CAD markets, GIS, etc., but it's not happened yet with medical systems or textiles, probably because in order for the latter
to move on to newer PC systems, they have additional very high costs to consider, such as replacing industrial machinery and recertification
of equipment for health & safety laws, etc. In one case a few years ago (medical scanner), a hospital in France told me it was 100X cheaper
to buy a replacement Indigo2 from me than to replace their SGI setup with a newer PC config.

> I know you do this through your website and it is interesting how the sales side of things and the futuretech website have come together
> as time goes on working in a kind of symbiosis. I am sure this wasn't your initial intention when creating the site.

Not originally, but after I moved back to Scotland in 2004 the idea was to trade in SGI stuff so I could work on the site. Sadly it hasn't worked
out like that; in reality it's very hard work trying to cover the costs every month, so in reality I have much less time now to do my own things
than when I was working as a sysadmin years ago.

I had hoped to branch out into 1980s vintage systems, hence I have quite a collection now:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/vintage_Dec2012.zip

but again lack of time has meant I've not been able to proceed with this (I bought two site domains, but they're empty atm).

Now if I didn't have to sleep, that would help. :}

> ... As you said corporate buyers still running the stuff have oceans of money to spend on a spare part if needed and they really need to
> keep that old software running, more so than a hobbyist.

Corporate buyers can be a fickle bunch. :D True, some do have the budgets to pay good sums, but a surprising many do not. Finding
the sensible middle ground is key.

The really peculiar thing is that some companies will not buy from me if my prices are too low, because it raises too many questions within
their purchasing departments, ie. why an originally very expensive item can now be replaced or repaired for such a small amount. It's easier
for them if something like a PSU costs a decent amount, because that's what their purchasing dept. expects. Apparently this was the case
with Indys a while ago, I was selling them too cheaply to attract biz buyers. Funny old world.

Ian.