SGI: Hardware

sgi External CD-ROM Upgrade to DVD-ROM: Success!

Feels good to report some things going smooth every now an then.
After dismantling an external sgi CD-ROM drive and replace the CD by a Toshiba SD-M1401, I am happy to report a complete success!
I already had done a complet 6.5+6.5.27 install from the same Toshiba drive in an O2, and now it is mounted properly in an external enclosure.

mplayer is able to play VOB from there without a problem. Only issue is the loss of the audio over SCSI as the connectors aren't the same...

Next step is to make an IRIX 6.5+6.5.27 installation DVD.
What are you connecting the external DVD-ROM to? Can't you just connect the external audio out on the enclosure to RCA audio in on the SGI?

What are you playing the .VOB's on? The Octane is my sole machine for awhile, it'd be nice to watch DVD's on it! :)
QuicksilverG4 wrote: What are you connecting the external DVD-ROM to? Can't you just connect the external audio out on the enclosure to RCA audio in on the SGI?

To nothing... The audio plays fine, it's just the audio out connectors that are not operational because of internal connectors incompatibility. Not a big deal as I don't use the audio out, and it's certainly fixable...
Oh, and another thing, the SCSI ID pins are the opposite of the CD-ROM (ID1/ ID2/ID4 vs ID4/ID2/ID1), so really, if you want SCS ID1, you need to set the ID counter to 4...
QuicksilverG4 wrote: What are you playing the .VOB's on? The Octane is my sole machine for awhile, it'd be nice to watch DVD's on it! :)

Octane2... mplayer works like a charm!
unixmuseum wrote: Next step is to make an IRIX 6.5+6.5.27 installation DVD.

I put a 1401 in my O2. It's quite nice. I hope you get somewhere with the installer DVD. That would be awesome!
zafunk wrote:
unixmuseum wrote: Next step is to make an IRIX 6.5+6.5.27 installation DVD.

I put a 1401 in my O2. It's quite nice. I hope you get somewhere with the installer DVD. That would be awesome!

Making a DVD of IRIX shouldn't be too hard, it's just a matter of dumping everything in the same dist directory, really...

Now, as far as the enclosure deal, looks like I spoke a little too soon... I'm getting some hard errors on the SCSI (no kernel panic though)... DVD play just fine, but CDs seemed to have a hard time... I did a fresh IRIX install from the same DVD-ROM but mounted in the O2 and everything went just fine...

Oh, and the SCSI ID reverse, you can also reverse the SCSI ID cable that connects to the DVD, so everything is AOK for that...

The SCSI error I get is probably a matter of jumpers/firmware, but for now, it'll go back in the O2...
zafunk wrote: I put a 1401 in my O2. It's quite nice. I hope you get somewhere with the installer DVD. That would be awesome!

BTW, did you take it apart an fit the O2 skin on it or is it still the grey/black bezel on it?
hi there

i have a toshiba dvd on my o2 r12k@400
it's not a mod but the facory setup of one of the last o2 produced

if you want i can take some photos
to see how it's setup-ed

on my other o2
i've replaced the fried old one
with a plextor
in that case some mods are required
but the results it's awesome

and..
OMG
the dvd project it's a real must

best
r.
radrob wrote: hi there

i have a toshiba dvd on my o2 r12k@400
it's not a mod but the facory setup of one of the last o2 produced

if you want i can take some photos
to see how it's setup-ed

on my other o2
i've replaced the fried old one
with a plextor
in that case some mods are required
but the results it's awesome

and..
OMG
the dvd project it's a real must

best
r.

Well, I am completely puzzled... Something must be wrong with my SCSI chain (not that huge, only a Yamaha 8/4/24 after the sgi enclosure).
This friggin' DVD-ROM would read DVD just fine when in the enclosure, but nothing else! I tried efs and ISO, nope! In the O2, it goes no problem, whatever I throw at it... I even installed IRIX from scratch on the O2 from the DVD-ROM!!!

Worse, I ripped apart an old (older than Corey :lol: ) Sun 411 CD enclosure and this works beautifully on the O2 as an external drive too!!! What is this?!?!?! This reminds me a lot of the firewire fiasco of last year...

Sigh... I guess I'll wait for a real sgi external DVD-ROM to become available on ebay...

As for the IRIX DVD, yes, I'll work on it. This is for pure convenience and backup purposes obviously.
I'm going to try and get a couple of SD-M1401's for my O2s. From what I've read it should be possible to remove the stock bezel and replace it with the O2 bezel to get a seamless look. Hopefully I'll know more soon :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I'm going to try and get a couple of SD-M1401's for my O2s. From what I've read it should be possible to remove the stock bezel and replace it with the O2 bezel to get a seamless look. Hopefully I'll know more soon :)

for the sd-m1401
no problems at all
toshibas drives has all the same interface
and put on it the o2 bezel it's relly simple

don't worry it will be a success
..and a great improvement in specs

r.
as far as I can tell, the only SCSI dvd-roms made come from pioneer, and toshiba, I'm partial to the pioneers because they have 512kb cache. I think that pioneer also made a "dvr-303" or maybe -S303, and unlike the 202, and 101, it writes general, as well as professional dvd-R's, so if someone ever gets their hands on one... well, I hope there aren't any non-toshiba SCSI problems, iirc there can be strange problems with non sgi vetted scsi stuff.
I'm in a position to buy a DVD-R for an IRIX box at work. Can someone suggest a manufacturer + model number?

If I can get that working I promise to dilegently port DVD authoring tools. :)
only SCSI ones I know of are Pioneer's dvr-s?0? with 3, 2, and 1, 1 only able to do maybe 3.7 GB on a professional disc, 2 being able to write a full single layer professional, and 3 being able to write full single professionals, and I think full single generals. professionals being overly expensive, and hard to find (written at a different wavelength I believe, suitable for writing master discs).

there are more SCSI dvd-RAM drives, but those are the only -r ones I know of, and the 303's not mentioned on pioneer's US site, only their Japanese site, and the 101, and 202, new cost on the order of $1500...

hopefully there are ones I don't know about, lest you be forced to use some ata-scsi adapter solution or something.
Just an FYI that a seller called 'my-auction-genie' is selling quite a few grey Toshiba SD-M1401 drives pulled from Sun Enterprise 250s on eBay. I've won one so far and hopefully will get one more. No idea how reliable this seller is - so far I haven't received PayPal payment instructions on the drive I won yesterday.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Just an FYI that a seller called 'my-auction-genie' is selling quite a few grey Toshiba SD-M1401 drives pulled from Sun Enterprise 250s on eBay. I've won one so far and hopefully will get one more. No idea how reliable this seller is - so far I haven't received PayPal payment instructions on the drive I won yesterday.
Yep, I got mine from him, pretty good guy!