SGI: Hardware

Onyx2 RM10 dead?

Hi,

I just put my Graphics Dream Machine back together, but when I turned it on the video output looked terrible. I basically looked like a reallly ugly Irix background in the coulors of the startup screen - all messed up. I reseated the boards but that didn't help. I finally narrowed it down to one Raster manager, it worked normal when I had the right one in.

I just had some of the boards in a cardboard box for a few weeks to make the Onyx lighter so it could be moved and I handled the box like a raw egg. Unfortunately I did not have any ESD material this size. :( Are those boards really that finicky? Also, is there a chance it could be fixed? Any nekochaner around who is a sgi-doctor?

jmc
:Onyx2:
video always is a little tricky. what other devices are you using with it?
r-a-c.de
I'd suggest re-installing all of the boards and using the infinite reality diagnostic, irsaudit , to see if a little more light can be shed onto the issue.

If the system will display legible graphic output in its current state, you can monitor the irsaudit tests and results on the attached display. If you can't reliably see the attached display you can connect a serial terminal and start-run-monitor irsaudit from there. In either case I'd follow the mention in the wiki to use the "REPEAT=x" switch to make several passes of each test.

There are a few examples of tests run with irsaudit in this thread.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: I'd suggest re-installing all of the boards and using the infinite reality diagnostic, irsaudit , to see if a little more light can be shed onto the issue

I can second this, I have used irsaudit to diagnose an issue on an onyx2 desk side in the past. Display had classic mosaic fault and would then fail completely after a few minutes. Connected in through a terminal and narrowed it down to a faulty RM board. If only all the SGI sub-systems had such thorough diagnostics!

Cheers, Adam
:Onyx2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
Thanks guys,

I have a GE16 and a DG5-8 at the end of the pipe, connected to my trustworthy SONY FW900. I will run the diagnostics and let you know what it says. So basically if the RM10 is faulty, there is probably no way to fix it? I would be a bummer, and my first ever computer part broken due to bad storage... I've never had a problem with a computer board, even if thrown in a dusty corner or packed in a box with no ESD bags with friends for years. :)

It will look brilliant on the wall though, as it's the best looking graphics board i've ever seen. And probably the most expensive... I think prices for the Raster Managers were about 50.000 Dollars when new. :shock: I would rather have it working though..

jmc
I don't think you nuked it due to improper storage, it probably died of natural causes. Static sensitive chips are vulnerable by themselves but once they're soldered into a big ass printed circuit card like the Onyx2 raster managers they're pretty safe...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I work in a company where ESD is considered so seriously that every employee is given compulsory ESD training with a refresher every 3 years. This includes the secretaries that will never set foot within 200 miles of our production site.

ESD can cause latent damage, which reduces the lifespan of a component, so just because it still works doesn't mean it hasn't been damaged. Also some ICs are so sensitive that they can be damaged by proximity, you don't even need to touch them. Proving ESD damage without electron micrographs of the IC die is almost impossible, so incredibly hard to prove.

Having said that, I agree with Vishnu, these are large card assemblies and probably have massive capacitance which is going to offer a degree of protection.

Regards, Adam
First of all, try to reseat it and re-run the test (irsaudit).

Then, if it really turns out to be dead, pay attention which half (raster or texture board) failed. If the raster board failed: try to buy an RM9. An RM10 is essentially an RM9 with an upgraded texture board. RM9's are cheaper and easier to find. Use that as a raster board donor.

Do pay attention to ESD when performing this kind of transplantation, though.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Hi,

unfortunatly still no progress... I can't find my null modem cable and the system won't start up.. all I get is the InfiniteReality3 in the bottom left when I leave the faulty RM out. I also have a problem with one node board, the leds went crazy so I took it out and put the "good"one in the right slot. The MSC displays P255 M1 :? Anyone no what that means.. couldn't find anything in the Forum.

Thanks,
jmc
Normally you'd expect "P0 M1 C", where:
P0 = partition (or processor?) 0
M1 = module 1
C = has the console

P255 is way off. I'd advise to hook up the serial console cable to the MSC port (bottom at the back of the chassis), and jumper the MSC to stop in POD mode. Then re-initialize the NUMA configuration (search the archives for the infamous "clearallogs ; initallogs" sequence). Reset the PROM environment for good measure once you're able to reach that. Then jumper the MSC for extra thorough diagnostics at boot to get some confidence in the system.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Update: I got the Onyx running now after changing the nodeboard again and removing all of the ram but the first pair. I will test the other nodeboard tomorrow and hopefully be able to fill all the memory banks, as they were. But there was probably a problem there - no wonder if you consider the amount of ram that goes in there. 32 slots for a 2 nodeboard deskside Onyx. Imagine getting a Reality Monster or something bigger running.. :shock:

Hopefully the Raster Manager is still alive and there was just a connection problem... How tight do you guys fasten the compression connectors? Is there a certain torque advised, or is it just a matter of judgement? :)

BTW:I got electrocuted every time I touched the bare Onyx, probably not so good... so tomorrow first thing is to put the skins on. :D
Eeek, I would have thought the metal chassis would be earthed. Sounds like there is an earth issue, I would be concerned about sorting that out first.

I used to have a washing machine that felt fuzzy when when you touched it. Turned out to be an earth fault and the whole chassis was live, saving grace was the thin coat of white paint!

Cheers, Adam
I was curious about that as well... I have always thought there is a problem with the electric cabling in this 1912 house... I once killed an O2 PSU having it plugged in overnight. The kitchen is another topic... I can either have the hot plate or the oven on, or else the fuse will jump... time to call the landlord before more SGIs or myself will die! :lol: