SGI: Hardware

Getting ONYX2 back into console mode

I've recently aquired an ONYX2, but have managed to get it into a state of confusion. I'm using a stand alone indigo2 as a console, so I haven't been able to pull off any log information to post on Nekochan. Machine is 4x300MHz with IR2 and IO6G.

Machine currently does not have an OS or harddisk, so was attempting to check machine whilst new disk was on order. Running a terminal into the diagnostic port shows a clean boot (again will try and post actual listing when I have downloaded from my indigo2 > PC).

Running terminal into TTY1 (console) on the IO6G, also shows clean boot through to the PROM menu. So based in this I set the environment variable 'setenv console g' to check graphics.

After reboot, this is where the trouble started. I get the flash screen showing 4 lines of information (screen res, Infinite reality, etc), but don't get a graphical version of the PROM menu (as I would have expected, based on an INDY or indigo2). Should I expect one?

Console shows the message 'Installing Graphics Console...' and does not return to the PROM menu. MSC shows initsaio. I've searched the Nekochan boards and notice that this problem has occured with other peoples machines, but haven't found an obvious answer. I waited over an hour to see if this message would time out, but it didn't.

I removed the keyboard and mouse and rebooted in an effort to regain console control, but no luck. Still tried to bring up the graphics console and doesn't give access to the PROM menu, without access to this menu to change the environment variable back I don't see how to force it back. Any thoughts?

To understand if there were any hardware issues I entered POD mode (not sure what the best way of doing this is, there isn't a 'pod' command on the MSC interface, but forcing an 'nmi' seems to get me there, but does through up some exceptions - I'm I doing this right??) .

Followed the 'go cac, clearalllogs, etc' route. Should it take a long time to perform the 'go cac' comand, takes about 3 minutes on my machine, is this normal. 'clearalllogs' also caused an exception the first time around, but after a few repeats it managed to work. Subsequent reboot didn't show any messages in the log file.

At the moment I'm at a loss as to how to get the console back, is there any way I can reset environment variables through POD?

All thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Adam
:Onyx2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
first try it pure: viewtopic.php?p=129565#p129565

then this one: viewtopic.php?p=129514#p129514
in particular the last paragraph there.

and welcome here btw :-)
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: first try it pure: viewtopic.php?p=129565#p129565

then this one: viewtopic.php?p=129514#p129514
in particular the last paragraph there.

Useful threads, many thanks. I agree, keep it simple is definately the way forward.

On a practical note, is there a prefered way to remove cards. At the moment I release the CPOP connectors (if used), then chassis fastenings, and slide the card out by an inch or so to ensure all connectors are dis-engauged, but don't actually remove the card. My logic being that the card and connectors are less likely to be damaged either physically or electrostatically by doing this. What does everyone else do?

I will post updates as I progress - hopefully will be informative for the next ONYX2 newbie.

foetz wrote: and welcome here btw :-)

Many thanks for the welcome, Adam
:Onyx2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
Rhodamine wrote: On a practical note, is there a prefered way to remove cards. At the moment I release the CPOP connectors (if used), then chassis fastenings, and slide the card out by an inch or so to ensure all connectors are dis-engauged, but don't actually remove the card. My logic being that the card and connectors are less likely to be damaged either physically or electrostatically by doing this. What does everyone else do?

I use an 8 lb sledge with a 24" handle. I've found the short handle is more convenient in tight spaces.

Can I interest you in a slightly used O350 ?
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...
Rhodamine wrote: On a practical note, is there a prefered way to remove cards. At the moment I release the CPOP connectors (if used), then chassis fastenings, and slide the card out by an inch or so to ensure all connectors are dis-engauged, but don't actually remove the card. My logic being that the card and connectors are less likely to be damaged either physically or electrostatically by doing this.
Leaving the board partially extracted protects the board, but probably doesn't do much to promote the intended flow of air to cool the system (lots of electrons dancing around in a fairly small space, so Onyx2 Desksides tend to run on the warm side under the best of conditions). On the unlikely chance you don't already know, there are blanking plates (with an attached baffle to ensure proper airflow) that are intended to fill slots left open when a board is removed from your Onyx2 DS. If you don't already have some, Ian or Toby Jennings are in the UK and probably have more than a few available.

Rhodamine wrote: What does everyone else do?
While Onyx2/O2k boards are surprisingly tough (I've had several survive even when some clueless eBay seller tossed 'em into a box naked for a cross-county journey that undoubtedly included the drop-kick handling most of my packages seem to suffer during rides in the back of the brown truck), protecting them is a good idea. I have a shelf here dedicated to the storage of Onyx2/O2k-sized boards. It's the right height/depth to accommodate full-height boards (in upright position); I attached a strip of rack-rail just inside the top and bottom of the shelves and secure the static-bag wrapped boards to the threaded holes in the rail.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *