SGI: Hardware

Cool SGI price list from 2006.

I stumbled onto this price list form 2006. I don't know how to make it readable in a post.
SGI_Prices.pdf
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2+: :Fuel: :O3x0: :A350: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo:
$19K for a 800MHz V12 Fuel and 2GB memory ... mmmm (and then another $5k for the 900MHz card).
Good thing there's an education discount.

And then those Tezro prices :shock:
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Wow, that's fascinating info. Thanks for sharing!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
For the good of the community, I'm willing to fill the gap and perform IRIX OS upgrades onsite for $1,800 (pp. 126 - plus travel and expenses, of course). As a special consideration, I'll even honor the second/additional system pricing of $600 per system. :D
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: For the good of the community, I'm willing to fill the gap and perform IRIX OS upgrades onsite for $1,800 (pp. 126 - plus travel and expenses, of course). As a special consideration, I'll even honor the second/additional system pricing of $600 per system. :D

$3k per 1GB RAM in 2006, hurts man
Didn't recondas buy a new octane2 about that time for $600 direct from SGI? Or was that a few months later during the fire sale :lol:
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
guardian452 wrote: Didn't recondas buy a new octane2 about that time for $600 direct from SGI? Or was that a few months later during the fire sale :lol:
It was direct from SGI, but was slightly later in early '07. They advertised it as a 'refurb' sale but what I got was a brand-spanking new 600MHz V12 Octane2 with a full set of IRIX6.5.30 CDs: http://www.nekochan.net/gallery2/v/SGI_ ... 1/Octane2/
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
guardian452 wrote: Didn't recondas buy a new octane2 about that time for $600 direct from SGI? Or was that a few months later during the fire sale :lol:
It was direct from SGI, but was slightly later in early '07. They advertised it as a 'refurb' sale but what I got was a brand-spanking new 600MHz V12 Octane2 with a full set of IRIX6.5.30 CDs: http://www.nekochan.net/gallery2/v/SGI_ ... 1/Octane2/

That's nothing short of awesome.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
My girlfriend teaches elementary school. Do you think sgi would give me the education discount?
dmm wrote: My girlfriend teaches elementary school. Do you think sgi would give me the education discount?

no but maybe her :D
r-a-c.de
i wish i had enough money to buy an SMP module, 2xR14@600Mhz, for my IP30. It should help me a lot because having a speedup of 200Mhz against my actual 400Mhz (R12K) module, means to complete stage4 in half the actual cooking time i have to take now

also Mathematica for IRIX enjoy the R14K, while linux is considering all the advanced features introduced in the R14K ISA (instruction set architecture) more ilke the entry level R10K. From the linux point of view it looks like … an R10K @ 600Mhz :mrgreen:

unfortunately it is too expensive for me: i was asked for 500/600 euro for such an SMP CPU module
ivelegacy wrote: unfortunately it is too expensive for me: i was asked for 500/600 euro for such an SMP CPU module

With a bit of patience and luck you should be able to pick up a 4*600MHz Origin 300 for half that. They make excellent compile servers. Origin 350 is even better but they are more rare (and expensive).
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
i need an SMP module for Octane2 (IP30), as i want to toy with the linux kernel

i don't know if the Origin 300 is supported, never seen that branch, but i am afraid it is not (i may be wrong)
ivelegacy wrote: i need an SMP module for Octane2 (IP30), as i want to toy with the linux kernel

i don't know if the Origin 300 is supported, never seen that branch, but i am afraid it is not (i may be wrong)

Good luck. Last time I checked it SMP and Octanes has been broken in Linux for a long time - you might want to contact Kumba or try on the Gentoo MIPS boards for more info on that one.
i know Kumba, i emailed him a lot of time, and we discussed on the gentoo forum: we have different opinion about linux
  • i am improving 2.6.17, i am alone, but i already have a working machine with a few minor bugs to be fixed and features to be added
  • he is trying to fix 3.* series,he hasn't a working machine (with SMP) and he is alone
nobody today want to spend free time on Octane, so … that is my opinion: improve the 2.6.17, and enjoy it!

also, personally i am following MIPS32 on things like Atheros SoC, or CI20)
I've always wanted a quad Tezro!
SGI Systems: R4K :Indigo: /256MB/XS-24, R5K 150MHz :Indy: /160MB/XL-24, R10K 175MHz :O2: /640MB, R12K 400MHz :Octane2: /Vpro6/1GB & R4K 250 MHz :Indigo2IMP: /128 MB/XZ Extreme/GIO64 FDDI

"It's a UNIX system! I know this! "
Nihilus wrote: I've always wanted a quad Tezro!

Me too. As much as I love my Octane, I'd love a Tezro....
ivelegacy wrote: i know Kumba, i emailed him a lot of time, and we discussed on the gentoo forum: we have different opinion about linux
  • i am improving 2.6.17, i am alone, but i already have a working machine with a few minor bugs to be fixed and features to be added
  • he is trying to fix 3.* series,he hasn't a working machine (with SMP) and he is alone
nobody today want to spend free time on Octane, so … that is my opinion: improve the 2.6.17, and enjoy it!

also, personally i am following MIPS32 on things like Atheros SoC, or CI20)

I spend plenty of free time on my Octane! I've just grown to love IRIX a lot more then I love Linux (especially since I don't have to worry about stupid things like the init system changing on me....). I've considered giving Linux a test run again (not like I don't have a bunch of SCSI drives sitting around), but never have quite had the interest that I once did.