SGI: Hardware

dual brick o300 startup

Hi,

Finally got all the fans replaced in my two o300 bricks so I can finally boot it in my office without using ear plugs :)

Got them connected (first time with an 8 cpu o300 system) but the only way I can see to boot them is to have a console connected and issue a

* powerup

from L1.

Anyway to get the dual brick config started from the button on the console. Silly question probably just a bit of a hassle every time to connect a console each time I want to boot the.

On another note

I noticed that one birck has the IP35prom version of 6.210 and the other has version 6.124

Anyway to sync the two prom version from the higher to the lower ?

Cheers
Does the green LED in the front panel power switch illuminate after you start the systems using the L1?

Mismatched PROM revisions will cause a non-fatal barrier sync warning during power on diagnostics. You can flash the PROM(s) from an IRIX command prompt. The flash process will use the PROM revision included with your most recent IRIX install. See man flash for details.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
yes the lights on the button are lit.

my c1 brick has the newer version of prom.

Not sure about flash from c1 to c2?

Cheers
thanks used flash to get them to the same prom version

Still can't use the from buton to boot both systems

Is this a realistic expectation?

Cheers
When you press the power button of one O300 module you expect the other module to power up as well? I don't think it works like that.

I have to press the power buttons on both of my O350 modules. Alternatively, you can use an L2 and issue a '* pwr up'.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
The SGI Origin 300 System with NUMAlink Module User's Guide follows the same method j-j describes for powering up with the font panel button.

You could also start both modules with one button press via the L2 controller touchscreen: Alternatively you could emulate the L2 (and display) using the L3 software:
L3.png
L3.png (7.5 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Yep, for some reason they dropped the "power-on signal over NUMAlink" capability for NUMAlink-2 and newer systems.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Sure,

I have a dual o200 and as I recall they did both startup from the master being powered up.

When you say that you have to boot them both by pressing the button on each one is there a particular sequence that guarantees correct startup sequence

birck c2 then c1?

Cheers
If you only have the two compute modules (see #5), power the master module first and the slave second.
As I recall you have a fairly long time before the bricks start shouting out "halloas" to see what friends are in their immediate vicinity (30+ seconds depending on brick configuration). They're pretty good about quietly deciding issues of leadership as well, so don't worry about having the wars of the roses reenacted in your computer room.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Could you use the l1 command

Code: Select all

001c01-L1>autopower on
to have the system boot when power is applied?
In order of use at the moment..... :Fuel: :O3000:

Currently looking to buy good :Fuel: and :O2: :O2+: machine.
Great thanks mnay boots later no problem with brick resolution.

Things are going jut AOK!!
SAQ wrote: ... don't worry about having the wars of the roses reenacted in your computer room.

The best part was when he pissed on the fish. I've wanted to do that ever since :D
two girls for every boy ...