SGI: Hardware

Best way to clean up corroded sgi machines

I wonder if anyone has any experience of making a dull fingerprint infested/corroded sgi machine shine again. Is it best to use a drill mounted buffer to make that old iron look like new ?

Thanks Ben.
SGI_Ben wrote:
I wonder if anyone has any experience of making a dull fingerprint infested/corroded sgi machine shine again. Is it best to use a drill mounted buffer to make that old iron look like new ?

Ben ... look to your right. Now up a little. See FAQ, Search , Members, User Control Panel ?

Where's the <blink></blink> tages when you need them ?

Image R10K 195Mhz, Spares/repairs 0Mb, 0Gb, Faulty PSU :-(
Image R44K 200Mhz, GR3-Elan, 160Mb, 36Gb
Image R10K 225Mhz, CRM-C, 384Mb, 72Gb
Spares - two Solid Impacts and a High/AA Impact Graphics board.
Red fuming nitric acid dip? :twisted:

Seriously though, hamei is right the search button will turn up a wide variety of threads on experiments our membership have conducted seriously oxidized sgi metalics...

World domination! Or something...
use the solvent xylene on a rag, and rub it on the plastic, will take off paint and belt the plastic is put on and left on too long, I use it with a fan in well ventilated area, works like a champ, especially on indigo2m octanes, and o2's, careful on o2's
For plastic:
mr. clean magic eraser
tire polish (the stuff they sell for black plastic on auto exteriors)
xylene (be careful!)
for metal:
mother's powermetal ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16722778&p=7317177#p7317177 )
chrome polish
other mild polishing compound...

(note: I haven't actually tried it)

I've been looking at oxalic acid, and phosphoric acid, as well as electrolysis to remove rust from tools. it may be possible to use similar techniques on metal computer parts, as long as they don't contain electronics or plastics.

http://makezine.com/2011/03/21/rust-removal-using-soda/

There's a product called "Rust Free by Boeshield" that is almost 100% phosphoric acid. You need to be careful since after acid etching, metal surfaces are not passivated and will quickly rust in the air. So some kind of passivation (pickling bath) or surface treatment (motor oil, waxes) must be used right after rust removal.