SGI: Hardware

LCD repair

Hi everyone :) Just want to ask if anyone encountered such damage and was able to fix it manually? Do you think this is still repairable? or just buy a replacement? this was the reason why i revived an old Indy presenter post :(
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
I don't know if that's repairable - I doubt it - but I've personally bought good used LCDs for 15" Apple Powerbooks on eBay and replaced them myself following instructions from pbfixit.com - and I understand they cover more than just Apple products now. So depending on your patience, free time, and the availability of a replacement part I think you should be able to do the same if you want.

Hope that helped,
--S.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
thanks smj! yeah that's my plan A now :) but just tried my luck here maybe someone did a miracle on recovering a busted LCD like this :) na ja, hope could find a replacement soon.. if not then proceed with plan B, use todays LCD and connect through VGA.. :)
I seriously doubt that's fixable, it looks like the LCD pane has been cracked...
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Have you tried taking it to a windscreen repairer? :)
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
duck wrote: I seriously doubt that's fixable, it looks like the LCD pane has been cracked...

yeah also think so.. im now trying to remove it and bring it to some local shop to find a replacement coz as what the original owner said, this was a custom made LCD 15 years ago :)

porter wrote: Have you tried taking it to a windscreen repairer? :)

hahaha thanks porter! you made my day hehehe
Speaking of repairing LCD:s, I just fixed the powersupply in my supposedly-dead 24" LG L245W screen... I am happiness! It also works perfectly with my V12 Octane using a custom 1920x1200 reduced-blanking mode :-)
It was the problem I had suspected all along, capacitors in the powersupply. Shop wanted 200+ euros to fix, I paid something like 1 euro for two capacitors...
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
wow! congrats duck! you're great hehe wish i had that same case but looking at these pictures really is a spielverderber :(

geo posted a very interesting photo of what appears to be a laptop running IRIX.....
lcd.JPG
lcd.JPG (25.89 KiB) Viewed 559 times
....so geo, is that one of the Linux-based 5dwm clones, or is the jumboprawn O2 laptop in China?
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: geo posted a very interesting photo of what appears to be a laptop running IRIX.....
lcd.JPG
....so geo, is that one of the Linux-based 5dwm clones, or is the jumboprawn O2 laptop in China?

hahahaha at last! sharp eye there recondas hehehe sorry for hiding it for a while coz i want to reveal it until i can fix the busted LCD :(

yes! this was an early Christmas gift from Jesse Newcomb! the maker for jumboprawn O2 hehe he really is great guy, he even gave me just recently a two spare of the LCD and arrived last Friday here but didn't have the time yet to mount it maybe later? but good thing it survived the trip, thanks to his packaging technique :)

what stun me at first was this system even with less RAM compared to my O2 desktop? it really booted faster! i think he tweak something coz he mentioned they did something to run some cool stuff just for the demo presentation? na ja, really lucky me hehe i even got a spare PCB and and necessary components to build this lil fella, i guess can try to make another one here :) only thing missing is it doesn't have a battery pack, coz they don't have enough time.. so i think its for me to finish then :)
geo wrote: sorry for hiding it for a while coz i want to reveal it until i can fix the busted LCD :( yes! this was an early Christmas gift from Jesse Newcomb! the maker for jumboprawn O2 hehe he really is great guy, he even gave me just recently a two spare of the LCD and arrived last Friday here but didn't have the time yet to mount it maybe later?
Congratulations!

Considering that an working SGI laptop is at least a contender for the ranking of most mythical and/or collectable SGI system (n)ever produced , I'm sure some detailed photos along with an hinv post would be highly appreciated.

All the better if you currently have it disassembled, don't know that any detailed inside-the-case photos have ever been published.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: Congratulations!

Considering that an working SGI laptop is at least a contender for the ranking of most mythical and/or collectable SGI system (n)ever produced, I'm sure some detailed photos along with an hinv post would be highly appreciated.

All the better if you currently have it disassembled, don't know that any detailed inside-the-case photos have ever been published.

thanks! hehe ok as soon as i can assemble this again ill post the details ;) but geeez just recently i tried the two LCD panels? i only got lines while booting :( my next plan is to remove the LCD crystal from the spare and put it on the LCD board of the original maybe the circuit is different? i hope it will work :( if not then i need to hunt for a Presenter coz Jesse said its exactly the same as the Presenter, these LCDs i got are fresh made from Japan and i think its still Engineering samples at that time hmm

ok i took some pictures while asking help form Jesse during the disassembling, will post everything soon but here is one just for preview ;)

update: ITS ALIVE! BWAHAHAHAH false alarm of two spare LCDs, just reseated the LCD adapter inside the main board then tada! perfect!!

hold your horses guys! pictures of running system coming soon :)
Very nice! That's an interesting arrangement there, looks like the O2 backplane was replaced with a home-made PCB? Also, you've got the AV module, but the plugs are underneath the keyboard :lol: Is the MooseCam connector external? I assume the system disk is underneath the AV board, but what about power, is there a PSU or battery hiding in there somewhere?
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Ooooh... neat system! I'm drooling! I really love "odd" laptops. Congrats!
Torfinn