SGI: Hardware

Rebirth of my O2...(I'm baaaaaaack, anyone remember me?)

So I haven't logged in since apparently Sep 6, 2006.
Finally getting back in to trying to get my SGIs up and running again.
I have my O2 up and running here (with AV card).
I have what I BELIEVE to be a 400mhz proc sitting at my office (I bought it off ebay some 3+ years ago and never installed it because I first needed to upgrade Irix I believe to support it).

My big questions are what's changed in the past 3 years since I've been active here?

Did anyone ever get firewire drives working properly on the O2 (I know I was close but had failures...though I later found
out it was my firewire enclosure that was busted)? If so, anyone know a firewire pci card you can buy today that will work, as I'd love to add some good storage to my O2.

Has anyone tried / touched / kept up the SGI-specific video output for mplayer we put out some years back to make videos actually playable on these machines?

I see iconbar's still up on sourceforge - does anyone still use it (and if so, would you be interested in an opengl-optimized version?). I'm pretty sure I still have my dev login for that project from way-back-when...

Anything else fun/exciting going on in the land of old stubborn bastards running Irix?
Vegac! So glad to see you here again.

What changed? Well, everybody has a Tezro nowadays and babies, 'cept for Neko, he has old Apple hardware ;)

Hamei is as always playing Culture Vulture in China and slagging his Fool , Hakim is living in Kabul and SGI went belly up and got assimilated by Rackable system, though you probably have guessed that already :)

Let's do some fun coding stuff together :) People want H.264 inside mplayer but they also want Firefox 3.x. Lots of things to do
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2000: :Onyx2:
European nekoware mirror, updated twice a day: http://www.mechanics.citg.tudelft.nl/~everdij/nekoware
ftp://mech001.citg.tudelft.nl rsync mech001.citg.tudelft.nl::nekoware
dexter1 wrote: Well, everybody has a Tezro nowadays and babies, 'cept for Neko, he has old Apple hardware ;)

Hey, I have a Tezro too - just no babies :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I want a Tezro. Then I'll have both :)
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
hi vegac, (very) long time no see :)
i've been out myself for a while but it seems there's a comeback going on these days.
now we just need cosmos back :D
r-a-c.de
Haha...I have a baby (well he's 3 1/2 now so not really a baby) but no Tezro sadly :(
I do still have an Octane 2 sitting harddriveless also. Lots to do I suppose.

Now the biggest challenge as always, convincing SGI to send me CDs for stuff since when trying to do a clean install of Irix onto my O2 (I have an old install on a 4 gig drive but was trying to do a clean install on a 9 gig...) it turns out in the past half-decade my discs got all scratched up. Anyone know the link on SGI's site to order Irix / MIPSpro these days?

Oh and I saw on the wiki about turning the overlays on supportfolio into full bootable CDs - can I just grab 6.5.22 off of there, make it bootable and do a fresh install from that w/o any previous Irix CDs?
Hey, welcome back!
vegac wrote: Oh and I saw on the wiki about turning the overlays on supportfolio into full bootable CDs - can I just grab 6.5.22 off of there, make it bootable and do a fresh install from that w/o any previous Irix CDs?

No. It's only a set of overlay CDs. You'll still need to get your hands on the IRIX Foundation 1 & 2 CDs, and an Applications CD. You may also want/need the NFS/ONC3 CD and the Development Library and Development Foundation CDs.
josehill wrote: Hey, welcome back!
vegac wrote: Oh and I saw on the wiki about turning the overlays on supportfolio into full bootable CDs - can I just grab 6.5.22 off of there, make it bootable and do a fresh install from that w/o any previous Irix CDs?

No. It's only a set of overlay CDs. You'll still need to get your hands on the IRIX Foundation 1 & 2 CDs, and an Applications CD. You may also want/need the NFS/ONC3 CD and the Development Library and Development Foundation CDs.

Yeah I figured as much sadly...
I gotta test each of my CDs and see which are working and which are messed up - I just know it started erroring at some point and I was too tired to pay attention to what files it was complaining about
If they're scratched on the clear side, you might want to try one of the 3000 methods people have come up with to polish CDs (everything from ghetto elbow grease and toothpaste methods that never worked for me to mechanized polishers). It's gonna be a lot easier than trying to get them off SGI.
Oh wow. I think I remember you.
You just kinda vanished off the face of the earth a month or so after I came onto the Nekochan scene and proceeded to drive everyone crazy.
Welcome back. It's great to see some of the true "old salt" folks.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Welcome back and only 10 replies to this post!?

I don't know if you remember me or not. I am still keeping the Octane that I got from you, in the garage though. I got a baby girl too. She is about 7 month old so still no time to play with O2/Octanes in near future.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane2:
Hi there,

good to have people come back.

From my own situation I have to sax that new family mambers are usually quite time consuming. I had to free some space and time before our son arrived, so I got rid of my trusted O2, which is am still kind of sad about.
Currently there is nothing on the market to fill that hole, so I have to wait to get a new SGI and then maybe it is a Tezro :)
---

it's a means to an end
I've got twin babies and no Tezro .. can I trade a baby for a Tezro ? They'll be good workers when they are bigger!!!

;-)
:Fuel:
voidfoo wrote: I got a baby girl too. She is about 7 month old so still no time to play with O2/Octanes in near future.

Ga53n wrote: I had to free some space and time before our son arrived, so I got rid of my trusted O2, which is am still kind of sad about.

I can understand space issues, but don't these babies sleep in the evening? Our 14 month old son goes to bed ~ 19:30 which leaves another 3 or 4 hours before I go to bed myself. All you have to do is say 'no' to the TV, but there's rarely something worth watching anyway.

My weekends are reserved for the family.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
strandedinnz wrote: I've got twin babies and no Tezro .. can I trade a baby for a Tezro ? They'll be good workers when they are bigger!!!

;-)

:lol:
.... still laughing ... :P
r-a-c.de