SGI: Hardware

30'' LCD Monitor for Tezro, possible?

Hi I am planning to buy Dell 30'' LCD UltraSharp (2560x1600). My only concern is that it needs DVI-D. I wonder this LCD screen is compatible with Tezro system V12, DM3, DM5 + BOB and can V12 graphic card support 2560x1600 high resolution? Thanks
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Any resolution above 1920x1200 requires dual-link DVI. The linked list of supported resolutions doesn't list anything above 1920x1200, so I don't think the V12 has dual-link DVI.
:Octane: R12K/300x2, MXE
:1600SW: :ChallengeL:
:? wat if I use DVI-D to VGA adapter, would it work? Is there anyway that we can force IRIX resolution to 2560x1600 though V12 might not be able to?
Sorry, no chance :(

2560x1600_60hz means a pixel clock frequency of > 300 MHz, while the single-link DVI port on the V12 is limited to 165 MHz. Using a VGA adapter won't help either as the VPros in general are limited by a slow 220 MHz DAC. I doubt the 30" display would accept 2560x1600 on the analog port anyway though..

hmm.. It should theoretically be possible to produce a 2560x1600_30hz mode which would reduce the needed frequency to around 160 MHz, i.e. should even be possible through single-link DVI. But i'm almost certain the 30" display would refuse to accept that one :(
thanks alot for enlightening me. It's sad to realize that even an most recent Tezro system is getting outdated through time and it's sad that SGI has dropped this platform. I gonna stick with 24'' then.
modology wrote: gonna stick with 24'' then.

You can still pick up a little more screen real estate. A V12 with a DCD can run two 24" LCDs, each at 1920x1200. And the difference in cost between a 30" and two 24s might be enough to pay for a DCD.
If you can rotate the screens or use portrait resolutions with the DCD the Eizo 30" lets you split the screen in half and drive each side off a different input. Not sure if any other ones do that or not, I know the IBM 22" did something similar in one of the versions but each side would have been a 30" monitor...
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
recondas wrote: ... enough to pay for a DCD.

I happen to have one of those which I would trade for a faster Fuel cpu ... (800mhz)
D-EJ915 wrote: If you can rotate the screens or use portrait resolutions with the DCD the Eizo 30" lets you split the screen in half and drive each side off a different input. Not sure if any other ones do that or not, I know the IBM 22" did something similar in one of the versions but each side would have been a 30" monitor...

Nice - didn't know there was a 30" that could be driven by two single-link channels.

That ridiculously high DPI IBM display (or the rebadged ViewSonic version) was actually supported on the Tezro. Only on the rackmount version though as it is driven by four single-link channels, i.e. you need dual V12 pipes each with the DCD in place ;-) .. 3840x2400 on 22" - just sick :-)

So i appears to be possible to produce such complex modes for the V12 - if you find somebody with the vfc skills to do so. I was even too stupid to build regular DCD modes when I tried it.. ;-)
That ridiculously high DPI IBM display (or the rebadged ViewSonic version) was actually supported on the Tezro. Only on the rackmount version though as it is driven by four single-link channels, i.e. you need dual V12 pipes each with the DCD in place ;-) .. 3840x2400 on 22" - just sick

Can it be done in tower form Tezro? I wonder if we can plug in second V12 DCD in as well
modology wrote: I dont quite get it. Does it mean I have to get the second V12 DCD in order to do so? You mentioned 3840x2400 on 22"-hmm....is it even possible?

Yes, you'd need two V12 boards and two DCD option boards to get the four (single-link) DVI outputs needed to drive the display. Each of these four channels would then provide one 960×2400 stripe or 1920×1200 tile which the display internally combines to 3840x2400:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

As the desktop Tezro only supports one V12 board plus DCD for a maximum of two channels this combination is only possible in a dual module rackmount Tezro. And even if you have all that hardware, you'd likely still need SGI to set it up for you as the video mode files etc. needed for that aren't included in stock IRIX.. :)
schleusel wrote: Nice - didn't know there was a 30" that could be driven by two single-link channels.

That would be a very nice use for a DCD equipped V12 - if the 13W3-to-DVI connection issue could be resolved, it'd be extra slick on a dual-pipe InfiniteReality system <and setting up the 1200x1920 display modes with ircombine would be relatively simple when compared to the VFC process required by the V12>.

schleusel wrote: So it appears to be possible to produce such complex modes for the V12 - if you find somebody with the vfc skills to do so. I was even too stupid to build regular DCD modes when I tried it.. ;-)
That means there probably isn't much hope for the rest of us.

;) MYTH BUSTED
schleusel wrote: That ridiculously high DPI IBM display (or the rebadged ViewSonic version) ...

Neat ! Also very cute the way the carefully avoided mentioning the word IBM :D

The Eizo looks great but three grand ? Do you think they'd offer a sub-prime mortgage on it ?