IBM

Here's What Happens When an 18 Year Old Buys a Mainframe

This subforum is kinda dead but this is TOTALLY fitting with the theme.

It's a 45 minute long video from Connor Krukosky, known by a few of us as "Conmega".

Funny how that works, huh? We always start small with a few dinky machines and somehow end up with beasts we can barely transport. :mrgreen:
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
It's what happened to me with pinball machines. And I only have two!
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
I recognize myself quite a lot in his experience. I have fairly good story when I salvaged an 11/750, an Eclipse and a PDP-11/34 from a house with a collapsed floor :twisted:
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
That was awesome! I wish more 18 year olds had that kind of determination. I can relate as I have salvaged and revived several '50s cars, Atari vector arcade machines and an Onyx rack.

My '51 Dodge and the Onyx were similar in that they both caught fire....twice.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:
Inspirational and very recognisable:
I almost went the same road when i was offered an Onyx1 Terminator Rack to pick up from an old data center and install in my Condo. When i decided to actually have it, i called the company, only to find out that they had scrapped the entire machine just two weeks before by cutting it up into pieces ... completely ... :(
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
ivelegacy wrote: he said 240V, 30A :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Probably the breaker on the PDU, not the actual power consumption.

My 4D/380 consumes ~ 6.5A (1.5kW), but:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
The 3-phase is the killer (some VAXes and IBM boxes, big SGIs, probably big other boxes).
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I wonder what he will do next? :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
ivelegacy wrote: my speculative engine has said: he will probably buy a raspberry3 :lol:

That made me chuckle Iva' :lol:
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy: