HP/DEC/Compaq

NeXTSTEP on HP PA-RISC

Anyone have experience installing NextStep 3.3 on an old HP 9000/735? I'm trying to install 3.3 on this machine and it keeps hanging at the same point...

Code:
Loading NEXTSTEP
Loading mach_kernel

Reading NEXTSTEP configuration
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/HPPANGLEFrameBuffer.config/Default.table'
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/HILKeyboard.config/Default.table'
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/GeckoKeyboard.config/Default.table'
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/eci596.config/Default.table'
Starting NEXTSTEP
NeXT Mach 3.3: Tue Feb 14 20:55:37 PST 1995; root(rcbuilder) :mk-172.3.32.obj~5/RC_hppa/RELEASE_HPPA
physical memory = 208.00 megabytes
using 255 buffers containing 1.99 megabytes of memory
available memory = 198.48 megabytes.  vm_page_free_count = 633e

...and that's where it sits. Primary boot path is set to scsi.4.0 and I have a 9.1Gb drive configured for ID4, the Alternate booth path is set to scsi.5.0, the Console path is graphics, and the Keyboard path is HIL. I am using a serial terminal since I have no HIL keyboard. Potential boot devices are as follows:

P0 scsi.4.0 HP 9.10GB B 80-8C02
P1 scsi.3.0 Toshiba XM-4101TASUNSLCD

Any help, hints, pointers?

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote:
...and that's where it sits. Primary boot path is set to scsi.4.0 and I have a 9.1Gb drive configured for ID4, the Alternate booth path is set to scsi.5.0, the Console path is graphics, and the Keyboard path is HIL. I am using a serial terminal since I have no HIL keyboard.

I am pretty sure that NEXTSTEP won't use a serial terminal as a console.

...and that's where it sits. Primary boot path is set to scsi.4.0 and I have a 9.1Gb drive configured for ID4, the Alternate booth path is set to scsi.5.0, the Console path is graphics, and the Keyboard path is HIL. I am using a serial terminal since I have no HIL keyboard.

I am pretty sure that NEXTSTEP won't use a serial terminal as a console.

It should still install right? I get no activity after the message displayed above, no disk or cdrom activity.

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
I know NextSTEP was particular about a stick of ram in my SS20 that Sol7 wasn't but I don't think that's what's the problem here. Everything in Next is GUI though so I agree that you need to get a keyboard and mouse.

Not as easy as you think, been looking for quite some time.

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote:
It should still install right?

I don't believe it will. I could do some experimentation for you, but it will take me some weeks to get around to.

Yeah, in my experience (which includes 0 NeXT) the software needs to know that its outputting to serial. If the installer is pure gui (or loads from the gui) then chances are you wont get it to output to the serial.

Yeah, in my experience (which includes 0 NeXT) the software needs to know that its outputting to serial. If the installer is pure gui (or loads from the gui) then chances are you wont get it to output to the serial.

Damn :(

See them all >here<
I've had it running on a King Gecko 712/100 with 192mb ram. It can spawn a getty on a serial console, but requires a frame buffer for the install. Also, you'll later need to do the two-step boot to get it to not try and log into a NIS domain.. afair it defaults to one and you finish the install and suddenly buggar! you can't log in :)

Frame buffer required to the best of my knowledge. Sorry for the bad news.

I've had it running on a King Gecko 712/100 with 192mb ram. It can spawn a getty on a serial console, but requires a frame buffer for the install. Also, you'll later need to do the two-step boot to get it to not try and log into a NIS domain.. afair it defaults to one and you finish the install and suddenly buggar! you can't log in :)

Frame buffer required to the best of my knowledge. Sorry for the bad news.

I've got a video card in one of the systems so that's not a problem, and I managed to get a keyboard and mouse so, we'll give it another try.

See them all >here<
Nice! looking forward to hearing more of your adventures. :)

Finally got around to installing NextStep last night. After trying to get the system to use the framebuffer instead of outputting to serial, it finally installed. But, I still have issues. Sometimes when I power it up, it still outputs to serial and I get this on the terminal:

Code:
Loading NEXTSTEP
Loading mach_kernel

Reading NEXTSTEP configuration
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/HPPANGLEFrameBuffer.config/Default.table'
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/HILKeyboard.config/Default.table'
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/GeckoKeyboard.config/Default.table'
Reading configuration file '/private/Drivers/hppa/eci596.config/Default.table'
Starting NEXTSTEP
NeXT Mach 3.3: Tue Feb 14 20:55:37 PST 1995; root(rcbuilder) :mk-172.3.32.obj~5/RC_hppa/RELEASE_HPPA
physical memory = 208.00 megabytes
using 255 buffers containing 1.99 megabytes of memory
available memory = 198.48 megabytes.  vm_page_free_count = 633e

which just sits there and does nothing. If I push the reset button a few times I can get it to come up using the framebuffer, I get the nice NEXTSTEP splash screen on the monitor which says starting nextstep, but that has been sitting there like that since last night, no messages on serial. ???

See them all >here<
Sounds like the system is having troubles discovering the framebuffer OR you have a toast nvram battery. Again, i have 0 next experience and its showing. :)

Replaced the battery before I did the install.

See them all >here<
May have fixed it. Tracked down the service manual online and according to the diagnostic LED's I came up with an HPMC due to a bus error. Turns out the system I/O board was the culprit and replacing it with a spare board from another 735 did the trick, I'm no longer getting an HPMC. But, turns out the super block on the drive is trashed, so running fsck now, let you guys know how I make out.

See them all >here<
Ok, had the time to play around more with this. The super block is still trashed and I cannot for the life of me get it fixed. This is what I end up with:

Code:
The following scsi disks have been found:
sd0 at target 6
sd1 at target 2
root on sd0a

Fri Sep 21 20:21:02 EDT 2012
Checking disks
(null pointer): BAD SUPER BLOCK: TRASHED VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK
(null pointer): USE -b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE
(null pointer): SUPER BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; SEE fsck(8)

(null pointer): UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
Reboot failed...help!
Faking root mount entries
erase ^? intr ^C kill ^U
#

I've read the fsck man page and ran it with a few dirrerent commands including the -b option, and it does find errors and fixes them, reports the file system as clean and to reboot without sync. Upon rebooting with or without sync, the system boots with the above. I don't have much hair left to pull out, any ideas?

See them all >here<
If you run fsck a second time, does it report that filesystem is ok?
(in other words fsck (fixes errors)... fsck (no errors reported)