HP/DEC/Compaq

MicroVAX 2000 - Page 2

SAQ wrote:
Looking at pictures it looks like the 2000 requires the DA-15F to keyboard, mouse and monitor breakout cable. Interesting idea- looks like that bit came about so that DEC could ship a box that brought the keyboard and mouse lines out as MMJ DECConnect lines on the MV2000.

I don't have a cable that will break those out for you, Pentium.

I have that three port MMJ box on the MicroVax as I knew it was something important.
Also, I found a pinout for the keyboard/mouse/video connector so I'll look into seeing how easy it is to make a video connector. I'm assuming it would output something along the lines of RGB, Sync on green, correct?

Code:
1 - vid_red     2 - color_ret   3 - mono_ret
4 - +5VDC       5 - mouse_rcv   6 - kbd_grnd
7 - ground      8 - +12VDC      9 - vid_mono
10 - vid_green  11 - vid_blue   12 - -12VDC
13 - mouse_xmit 14 - kbd_rcv    15 - kbd_xmit

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote:
Also, I found a pinout for the keyboard/mouse/video connector so I'll look into seeing how easy it is to make a video connector. I'm assuming it would output something along the lines of RGB, Sync on green, correct?

Yes, but since it is only 1-bit mono you only have to worry about the green for this application, although you might want to wire them all up so you can use it on a color VAXstation.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I'm totally going to dig the super limited color pallette. :lol:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
SAQ wrote:
Yes, but since it is only 1-bit mono you only have to worry about the green for this application, although you might want to wire them all up so you can use it on a color VAXstation.

I am pretty sure the cables are wired differently for color vs. monochrome framebuffers, i.e. the monochrome output is not on the same pin as any of R, G, or B. Somebody should double-check me on it, though.

leaknoil wrote:
The AXP 3000 wont even get through post without a keyboard. No way around that as I remember but, i doesnt matter.

I beg to differ; models 3000/300 have a jumper (W2) on the motherboard, and all the other models (from 3000/400 to 3000/900) use a ``server'' SRM environment variable to let them POST without a keyboard connected.

Right but, isnt there a problem if you don't have a graphics console first to set the SRM variable ? How do you work around that ?

My words were poorly choosen. The jumper or variable allows the system to autoboot . If there is no keyboard connected, it will POST but wait for user intervention... on the serial console. (However, the DECstation 5000/1xx models will indeed fail to autoboot and won't switch to serial console if there is a frame buffer installed regardless of whether a keyboard is connected, but these aren't AXP systems).

:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Be, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
I had a VAXStation 2000 back in 1995 (!) and even then it was free from the System Admin at my University.

I do remember that the MFM RD53's were scarce then, and the RD54's very hard to find. Now I expect it even more difficult to obtain an RD54.

Just checked eBay

The two RD54's for sale are going for $750 and $875-00.

I think the VS2000 could only take RD53/54, but the TK50 tape I/F was pseudo-SCSI and I know a long time ago some guys tried to interface it to SCSI drives (this is 15 years ago or so!).

edikat

Mostly I used 5000/25's (Personal DECStations) with Ultrix. They were very cool at the time (with Mosaic, gopher and veronica!!).

Sun V100, USIIi 550, 1.5GB, 40GB, Debian Lenny 5.X
edikat wrote:
Mostly I used 5000/25's (Personal DECStations) with Ultrix. They were very cool at the time (with Mosaic, gopher and veronica!!).

Got one of those. Slightly interesting, but I don't have the special mouse they needed (it isn't the VSXXX type that everything else DEC used prior to PS/2), only the keyboard.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Speaking of VMS. It seems the openvms hobbyist website is no longer available, does that mean that there are no more hobby licenses granted?

Speaking of VMS. It seems the openvms hobbyist website is no longer available, does that mean that there are no more hobby licenses granted?

Unlikely. Montagar is still selling the kits. Probably just a server misconfig or something.

This one works: http://www.vmshobbyist.org/

/240's are nice, but that R4000 cpu will usually work in anything. I used to have one years ago I donated to UCC that I'd brainswapped into a 5000/20. worked like a trooper with Ultrix 4.5 and afairc NetBSD ~1.6 era when I was hacking around on it.

I pulled out my 5000/240 - had to reinstall Ultrix 4.5 as the root disk had gone gaga. It's a really snappy maching running Ultrix and DECwindows XUI. Display postscript, full documentation in bookreader format. Very nice... You need the keyboard/mouse breakout cable if you're doing local interaction.

Mark.

Image , Fuel, VAXstation 4000/90 x2, VAXstation 4000/60, VAXstation 4000/VLC x2, AlphaServer 1000A, DEC AXP 3000/600 (desktop), DEC AXP 3000/600 x2 (rackmount), DEC AXP 3000/800 (rackmount), AlphaServer 300 4/266, DEC GIGI, Sun Ultra 5, HP ZX6000, DECstation 5000/240, VAXstation 3100s, MVII, Commodore 64 & Flyer, LA75, PP404, Juki 6100, Brother HR10
Sorry for the lame question but how to open a VAXstation 2000? Screws are out but nothing moves :oops:

I never had a MV2000 specifically, but with many DEC desktops of that era the sheet metal cover is held on with a lot of friction (stiff metal EMI springs). Try holding the sides while letting the chassis drop out the back.