HP/DEC/Compaq

Why do Alphastations go for over $1,000 ? - Page 3

that's an alphaserver worth having!

I've fairly recently gotten my hands on an DEC AlphaServer 1000 4/266 (with 256 MB RAM, a FireStorm framebuffer, FC adapter and so on). It's capable of running OpenVMS 8.3 (though I wouldn't want to try, it'd obviously be rather sluggish), but 7.3 works just fine. I'm amazed how snappy the system is for its age and specs. I guess in that sense, they must retain a lot of their value. Perhaps that businesses would be prepared and are capable of affording the prices asked. Else I couldn't explain the pricing either.

I wouldn't count on it being sluggish - I'm running OpenVMS 8.4F on a 384MB AS1000A 5/333 and it's not bad. The glass console code has been redone at some point and it's now much speedier at text scrolling on the glass console (outside of DECwindows).

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
I'll give 8.3 a try then! How is it under DECwindows though?

As for 8.4F, I didn't know it was out yet, or are you employed at a customer of HP entitled to the early release program?

As for 8.4F, I didn't know it was out yet, or are you employed at a customer of HP entitled to the early release program?

It's in field test, and for a while the program was open to anyone interested who would run it and provide feedback.

I'll get back to you on DECwindows. Are you interested in local performance or remote?

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: